E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Adding tweeters to base system



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
dappamikey
New Member
dappamikey's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: E92 325D M Sport (Evolved)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW London

iTrader: (0)

Adding tweeters to base system

What is required other than the obvious (tweeters, housings) - Will I need coding - If so, how much will it cost....Also thinking about adding an amp/sub for rear - Will there be any issues...An ICE engineer I regularly use seems to think I wont need any coding as not amping interior speakers - is this true.

Mikey
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
128
Rep
7,659
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappamikey View Post
What is required other than the obvious (tweeters, housings) - Will I need coding - If so, how much will it cost....Also thinking about adding an amp/sub for rear - Will there be any issues...An ICE engineer I regularly use seems to think I wont need any coding as not amping interior speakers - is this true.

Mikey
Adding tweeters does not require coding. I am selling tweeters / mids and you can find details in the classified section.

Re: amp / sub
If you like the current sound of your BMW, yes you can add amp/ sub without coding. But your installer will be adding LOC.

Coding to hi-fi HU helps if you are going for alpine kit upgrade or complete aftermarket sound system.

Some use DSP or clean sweep to get clean signals from the headunit.

So it is down to personal choice which route you want to go.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
foxy-stoat's Avatar
3
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 320 E91
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sussex

iTrader: (0)

Adding standard tweeters to standard mids is a matter of plugging the tweeters into the mids - done.

You need to buy the front door mouldings and cut thru your rear door cards but its pretty easy I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
AlanQS's Avatar
Scotland
25
Rep
2,523
Posts

 
Drives: 320d SE Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
BMW scrapped the rear tweeters in their HiFi/business sound a few years ago and I think the OP is only talking about the front tweeters. Indeed, on a standard setup, rear tweeters would not improve the sound at all.

As has been said, the tweeters plug into the mids in the front doors and you will need a new moulding (big one on the E90) and just the triangular piece for an E92. In either case, don't forget the foam filler piece as well.

Up till 2011, no coding was required for the Alpine upgrade because the Alpine amp used high level inputs (i.e. from the speaker wires and therefore amplified output from the head unit. For other amplifiers which take a low level input (unamplified) the car needs coding to tell the headunit that it is using low level outputs not speaker outputs.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
mv57
First Lieutenant
mv57's Avatar
6
Rep
381
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

No one so far has mentioned cross overs. Dont know if the standard twerters comes with this.

Just food for thought.
__________________
E92 320d M Sport, titanium silver, auto,

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
IanS100
Colonel
IanS100's Avatar
United Kingdom
32
Rep
2,642
Posts

 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
BMW scrapped the rear tweeters in their HiFi/business sound a few years ago and I think the OP is only talking about the front tweeters. Indeed, on a standard setup, rear tweeters would not improve the sound at all.

As has been said, the tweeters plug into the mids in the front doors and you will need a new moulding (big one on the E90) and just the triangular piece for an E92. In either case, don't forget the foam filler piece as well.

Up till 2011, no coding was required for the Alpine upgrade because the Alpine amp used high level inputs (i.e. from the speaker wires and therefore amplified output from the head unit. For other amplifiers which take a low level input (unamplified) the car needs coding to tell the headunit that it is using low level outputs not speaker outputs.
I thought the coding was to flatten the EQ which BMW had tweaked to compensate for the lack of tweeters
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
AlanQS
Colonel
AlanQS's Avatar
Scotland
25
Rep
2,523
Posts

 
Drives: 320d SE Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't think that's the case because when I got my Alpine upgrade in 2009, BMW stated that no coding was required for this. I don't know why 2011 onwards cars need coding, but when using third party amps taking normal outputs, the head unit has to be told to stop using the output amplifier as it's not needed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
128
Rep
7,659
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I don't think that's the case because when I got my Alpine upgrade in 2009, BMW stated that no coding was required for this. I don't know why 2011 onwards cars need coding, but when using third party amps taking normal outputs, the head unit has to be told to stop using the output amplifier as it's not needed.
Alan, unfortunately all cars benefit from hi-fi coding. LCI/ Pre-LCI does not matter and sound always improve with alpine retrofit kit.

There are HUs in 2011 and onward with BT built in HU. They require coding by a different method.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST