E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Odd start up issue...

11-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
ZTZ1010
Captain Planet
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11' E92 ZCP M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.80]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ZTZ1010
Odd start up issue. Not HPFP related.

*Edit* got a engine malfunction warning on start up today when this happened. Code cleared itself before I was able to check what it was...

Let me start by assuring everyone this isn't another misfire/ long crank/HPFP/Injector on start thread..

my car is an 09 E90 335i, FBO/Meth, 46k miles.

Once in a while, I'll get a rough start after hard driving. It's inconsistent and happens maybe 1/15 starts. The car will start up immediately (no long crank and very dissimilar to when my HPFP shit the bed) but exhaust volume will fluctuate significantly. I haven't noticed any fluctuation in RPMs, but it's still a cause for concern. I'm running a vanguard V2, so the sound difference is quite obvious. anyways, the car starts very quiet (almost like it's choking), then seems to 'pick back up' to normal sound.

I remember reading somewhere that it was due to residual meth after shutting the engine off and not to worry about it. but 500 miles ago, my clutch finally started to slip on the dyno, so I went ahead and replaced it with an ACT Street. I had the car on low boost no meth (map 1 JB4 G5 ISO) during break in, and continued experiencing the odd start issue. That being said, I'm beginning to question any residual or left over meth being the cause, since the symptom continued 500+ miles since my last meth use.

Car hasn't thrown any codes, drives completely normally, and there are no visible discrepancies in recent logs. Valves were cleaned 5k miles ago after struggling to isolate constant misfires (ran through plugs/coils/injectors), and haven't had a problem (or misfire) since, though the odd start was present before as well.

Curious if anyone has any ideas, thanks for any input.

Zach
2011.5 Alpine White E92 M3 | DCT w/ BPM Software | ZCP | CF Roof | CF Lip| Fully Coded | AFE Stage 2 Intake| ACM Exhaust | ACM Test Pipes | BPM Stage II Dev Tune | AA Pulleys | RPi Scoops | Swift Springs | LED Interior Lights| LUX V4 | Extended Aluminum DCT Paddles|

Last edited by ZTZ1010; 01-31-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
ZTZ1010
Captain Planet
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11' E92 ZCP M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.80]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ZTZ1010
no one?
2011.5 Alpine White E92 M3 | DCT w/ BPM Software | ZCP | CF Roof | CF Lip| Fully Coded | AFE Stage 2 Intake| ACM Exhaust | ACM Test Pipes | BPM Stage II Dev Tune | AA Pulleys | RPi Scoops | Swift Springs | LED Interior Lights| LUX V4 | Extended Aluminum DCT Paddles|
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep

Drives: Space Grey E92s

I had this issue a few times, with and without meth, as did a buddy. Took both cars to the dealer and they couldn't replicate the issue. I also thought it was the meth pooling, but since it has happened without it, I have ruled that out.

I'm in for any answers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
cwarren
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 e92

Have the same problem going on right now car starts soft and chokes a little and then idles fine.almost like its flooded without the long crank.have not had time to look into it but might try and figure out what is going on this weekend.anyone know if you can log lpfp on start up? Or is this mute due to priming just before starting .running Cobb
Appreciate 0