E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW Extended Warranty- Is It Worth It?

11-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
JM85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E90 320d

BMW Extended Warranty- Is It Worth It?

The Warranty is due to expire on the Mrs car & I've had the letter through asking if I want to extend it

Have any of you guys got the BMW Extended Warranty? if so what level of cover & was it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Drives: E92 330d

I went for the Comprehensive cover, 35 per month. Have a quick search there's a good thread detailing pricing and levels of cover.

I had around 800 of work done today, that cost me 100 excess, so worth it just one month into the policy!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Raj59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E60 LCI 525i M Sport Auto

Yes! In my opinion, no other warranty comes as close to the Mondial BMW one.

I currently pay 49 per month for the top level of cover (250 excess, no emergency), which might seem expensive, but peace of mind is important to me.

Make sure you buy it before it hits 60k, as the price pretty much doubles once that mileage has been reached.
      11-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
ComputerKnowHow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 330d LCI

Like all insurance policies, you're buying peace of mind. So what's the value to you of knowing that should something happen you'll be covered?

In terms of examples on payout, I got around £2,000 of work done under extended warranty on my last 320d without fuss and I paid £40/month. I also had the fuel breather pipe leak (well documented on these forums) which is explicitly not covered by any of the extended warranties. I paid for parts & labour but because I bought the car AUC and had the comprehensive extended warranty, the dealer (Knights North Staffs) managed to get BMW to pay the entire bill as goodwill & I was refunded. I wouldn't say it's a cast iron guarantee that things get sorted, but it certainly seems to help.

I've now got a 330d that I've had for 12 months & again taken the warranty at £60/month (higher premium due to higher starting mileage I assume.) I don't do nearly as many miles these days but if something went seriously wrong I couldn't afford a huge bill so I see it as "saving up". Or you could save the money yourself!

From what I've seen and experienced it seems that if you do decide the warranty's a good thing, anything other than comprehensive is false economy. The paperwork is painless if the work's done at a dealer and although I imagine it's different at each dealer I've always been given nice courtesy cars with no issue, sometimes for a week or so with no prior notice i.e. they found work needed doing during regular service.
Appreciate 0