E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > e90 xi suspension "re-freshed"

09-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
jwebb335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

e90 xi suspension "re-freshed"

Hey guys,

I "re-freshed" the suspension on my 335xi in two stages and am very happy with the results. The car has 101K miles and is daily driven around the Chicago area, which means it suffers from plenty of pothole filled roads and its share of salt.

Last spring I replaced the stock shocks/struts with Bilstein B6s, using ALL new mounting hardware (including upgraded rear shock mounts). At that time I also replaced the sway bar end-links and, almost immediately after, front lower control arms with attached ball joints as one was apparently slightly bent preventing my alignment from being within "spec". I suspected a problem at that corner as I had to replace the wheel after hitting a MASSIVE pot hole at "highway speed"

Over the past two weeks I replaced tension struts (the bigger control arms with "hydro-bearings"), brake pads, sensor wires and rotors. I also had a shop replace the set of ball joints attached to the tension struts while doing a full 4-wheel alignment. Here I decided the removal of those ball-joints without air tools and fire was going to be above my pay grade and let the experts do their thing and happily paid to have it nicely done by a very competent local shop.

At 100k, there's nothing funky happening in the rear-end and the front is all "new" but for tie-rods, which don't seem to be showing any excessive play at all.

Now, I don't want to sound car like a snob, but to have the suspension on a 9 (almost 10) year old car completely back to the way it should be reminds me why I chose BMW 20 years ago and have had 5 since then. Though other BMW's handle better than an e90 XI, the stock suspension (without run flats) on this car is pretty darn good, particularly with the robust Bilsteins added to the mix!!!!

Next year, I may tackle the entire rear suspension from bushings to arms as I intend to keep this xi in the family for several more years and would prefer to do work on my schedule!

Along the way I have asked many questions and have received many helpful responses.

Thanks guys!

93 Octane| MHD | Alpina | FMIC | Stock Side Inlets | Catted DPs | CP and DVs|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
tlow98
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91

Oh man, that sounds like motoring bliss. I agree about a fresh set-up. My mother's e90 xi rides and handles shockingly well with low mileage and fresh conti DWS.

Really looking forward to doing the same with my e91.

This is motivating!

What tires are you using?
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
cpie168
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Congrats and well done OP! What kind of work are you planning for the rear? And when tackling bushings, why not just replace the whole arm instead?
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
jwebb335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Oh man, that sounds like motoring bliss. I agree about a fresh set-up. My mother's e90 xi rides and handles shockingly well with low mileage and fresh conti DWS.

This is motivating!

I have a new set of Michelin PS4S; on apex 18" rims!

Appreciate 1
      09-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
jwebb335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post

This is motivating!

I was thinking new sub frame bushings and all new control, toe arms..

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
PourBoi-Jay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport

I totally know the feeling. I recently went through part 2 of my 3-stage suspension refresh, and I'm loving my car tremendously. Did B12, M3 arms front and rear, new tie rods, all number rubber throughout, adjustable toe arms, etc.

Next year I'm doing subframe bushings and maybe some stiffer trailing arm and rear lower control arm bushings in the rear. But the car feels completely new at over 100k miles.

Congrats OP!
Appreciate 1