E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Passenger seat shakes



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
e90n52b30
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW E90 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Passenger seat shakes

Hey guys so I have a May '06 build 330xi with about 74k miles on it. My passenger seat shakes when I drive around. It's most noticeable at highway speeds, but it happens at low speeds as well. More specifically, I see the headrest shaking.

My alignment is fine. Wheels are in balance. The only thing I have not checked is the suspension. Bushings are my first guess.

I'll be replacing the shocks and springs this Spring with a set of bilsteins and eibach lowering springs.

But how can I check for worn bushings?

Also any other possible causes? I had some work done to the rear subframe, which was rewelding the passenger side trailing arm mount. But I can't remember if I had this issue before or after.

I don't get any shake in the steering wheel. But when I have a cup full of liquid in the cup holders, they shake like crazy.
e90n52b30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Arben72
Banned
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Check for a tire bubble. That could be your issue.
Arben72 is offline   Albania
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
e90n52b30
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW E90 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Check for a tire bubble. That could be your issue.
Nope. This happens on 2 sets of wheels. And I have never curbed my tires

Gotta be a suspension/chassis issue. But what?! lol
e90n52b30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Arben72
Banned
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

My second guess would be the ball joint.
Arben72 is offline   Albania
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
e90n52b30
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW E90 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
My second guess would be the ball joint.
In tie rods? I replaced the passenger side because it was seized up and I couldn't adjust my toe. But my driver's side is still original.

Replaced both the inner and outer.
e90n52b30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90n52b30 View Post
Hey guys so I have a May '06 build 330xi with about 74k miles on it. My passenger seat shakes when I drive around. It's most noticeable at highway speeds, but it happens at low speeds as well. More specifically, I see the headrest shaking.

My alignment is fine. Wheels are in balance. The only thing I have not checked is the suspension. Bushings are my first guess.

I'll be replacing the shocks and springs this Spring with a set of bilsteins and eibach lowering springs.

But how can I check for worn bushings?

Also any other possible causes? I had some work done to the rear subframe, which was rewelding the passenger side trailing arm mount. But I can't remember if I had this issue before or after.


I don't get any shake in the steering wheel. But when I have a cup full of liquid in the cup holders, they shake like crazy.

I also have this issue now. I remember that when i replaced my front tires this issue went away. How are old are your front tires? I know i need new ones. Hopefully thats it. Let ke know if you find a solution. Thanks
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
 
RaceBlood's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 wheels
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Downtown

Posts: 2,243
iTrader: (0)

If its not a wheel out of balance, its the run flats, dump those terrible riding shitty things and get a smooth ride with a regular tire.

but with 74K, could be suspension related..
RaceBlood is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo
 
mike3000fl's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ft bragg

Posts: 2,156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben72 View Post
Check for a tire bubble. That could be your issue.
do this, don't assume you don't have one, check.
__________________
2006 330i - Jet Black - 19" E46 M3 wheels - HR Sport - 188,000 Miles...

mike3000fl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Legion5
Major
 
Legion5's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,371
iTrader: (12)

I have this same issue. I think it's partly poor design of the seat and headrest and partly maintenance.
__________________

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Legion5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
328i M-Sport
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 176
iTrader: (0)

Check if the seat moves in relation to the rails. It could be worn plastic sliders.
328i M-Sport is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
2kaccordocoupe
Colonel
 
2kaccordocoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GTA

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 e92 335i  [0.00]
I had a strange vibration on the passenger side of my car as well, ended up being a transmission mount bushing. Have a read at my experience, may or may not be relevant...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434049
__________________
2009 335i E92 Coupe
Manual/Navigation/Executive/Audiophile/Sport/19s
Alpine White/Coral Red Dakota

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 01-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.
2kaccordocoupe is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
e90n52b30
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW E90 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I also have this issue now. I remember that when i replaced my front tires this issue went away. How are old are your front tires? I know i need new ones. Hopefully thats it. Let ke know if you find a solution. Thanks
They are the original RFTs right now. But this happens on a 2 year old set of BF Goodrich TDW T/A tires as well.

Will let you guys know if I find any solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
If its not a wheel out of balance, its the run flats, dump those terrible riding shitty things and get a smooth ride with a regular tire.

but with 74K, could be suspension related..
I get this on my non-RFTs as well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
do this, don't assume you don't have one, check.
I just swapped to my winter setup and they did not have bubbles. Nor did my summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I have this same issue. I think it's partly poor design of the seat and headrest and partly maintenance.
Maybe, but it annoys the heck out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i M-Sport View Post
Check if the seat moves in relation to the rails. It could be worn plastic sliders.
Nope. They are solid.



Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

I'm convinced it's a suspension issue though. I don't think it's the shocks/springs but that will be eliminated this Spring when I swap them out.

I'm leaning heavily towards bushings. But I have no idea on how to test them.
e90n52b30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
e90n52b30
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW E90 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
I had a strange vibration on the passenger side of my car as well, ended up being a transmission mount bushing. Have a read at my experience, may or may not be relevant...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434049
This definitely happens when just rolling, in D or N. So it doesn't sound like your issue but thanks for posting.
e90n52b30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Yes i will keep u posted as well. I will buy new tires soon. If anyone found tye solution to this issue please advice us on what to so. Thx
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
maf330xi
Second Lieutenant
 
maf330xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 249
iTrader: (2)

I have the same issue, slight vibrations that can be seen on passengers headrest...
maf330xi is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #16
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf330xi View Post
I have the same issue, slight vibrations that can be seen on passengers headrest...
Do you have RFTs, if so how old are they? Like i mentioned before, when replaced mine with better thread (RFT tires) this issue went away.
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
anerbe
Major
 
Drives: 2013 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BH, MI

Posts: 1,246
iTrader: (1)

Even if your wheels/tires balance, you could have some sort of issue with your wheels/tires that would cause vibrations.

Check your wheels to make sure they are 100% true. Any bend, even after balancing, can excite frequencies. I had a set of wheels I bought used, and would always have a vibration when going over 80 (shh.....). Wheels/tires were rebalanced 3 times (each time was given the ok).

Finally, I saw the wheel while it was on the hunter - the inner barrel had a very slight bend. Got them fixed, and car is smooth all the way up the speed range.

One test would be to swap wheels/tires with someone who does not have the problem, and see if you notice the vibrations.

I do have to say that the passenger seats in these cars are VERY sensitive to vibration. You'll see it before you feel it.
anerbe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Even if your wheels/tires balance, you could have some sort of issue with your wheels/tires that would cause vibrations.

Check your wheels to make sure they are 100% true. Any bend, even after balancing, can excite frequencies. I had a set of wheels I bought used, and would always have a vibration when going over 80 (shh.....). Wheels/tires were rebalanced 3 times (each time was given the ok).

Finally, I saw the wheel while it was on the hunter - the inner barrel had a very slight bend. Got them fixed, and car is smooth all the way up the speed range.

One test would be to swap wheels/tires with someone who does not have the problem, and see if you notice the vibrations.

I do have to say that the passenger seats in these cars are VERY sensitive to vibration. You'll see it before you feel it.
Thanks for your advise. I need new tires anyway. If problem still occur after I change tires, I will look into the wheels.
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
axis
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Steel Gray C 300
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 343
iTrader: (2)

My car has always done that since I bought it. Even with brand new tires after a mount / balance. I always just figured it was the nature of the car with sport suspension, considering roads aren't ever perfectly smooth.
axis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Dozhdbog
Major
 
Dozhdbog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

Posts: 1,444
iTrader: (0)

Ever since I got the BMW performance suspension and stage 2 ppk installed, I get a rattle from the passenger side when I go over roughish roads. Wondering if it's just because I need someone sitting in the passenger seat to offset my 245 pound physique...
Dozhdbog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
e90n52b30
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW E90 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Even if your wheels/tires balance, you could have some sort of issue with your wheels/tires that would cause vibrations.

Check your wheels to make sure they are 100% true. Any bend, even after balancing, can excite frequencies. I had a set of wheels I bought used, and would always have a vibration when going over 80 (shh.....). Wheels/tires were rebalanced 3 times (each time was given the ok).

Finally, I saw the wheel while it was on the hunter - the inner barrel had a very slight bend. Got them fixed, and car is smooth all the way up the speed range.

One test would be to swap wheels/tires with someone who does not have the problem, and see if you notice the vibrations.

I do have to say that the passenger seats in these cars are VERY sensitive to vibration. You'll see it before you feel it.
Hmm that's true. I will have to look into that. I'm getting new wheels maybe this summer so we will see. Thanks!
e90n52b30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
Dozhdbog
Major
 
Dozhdbog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hollywood

Posts: 1,444
iTrader: (0)

Found the problem. Crumpled water bottle in the pocket underneath my gloves.
Dozhdbog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST