E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW DCT 335is - How to Use Launch Control



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
BMW DCT 335is - How to Use Launch Control

I would like to apologise to many whom I promised a video on an official break down of how I use launch control on the BMW DCT 335is.

It been 1.5 years long over do, so here it is, a crash course, to the point. Hope to see some new 1/4 track times. There is only less than a hand full of us that know how to launch this car that we know off.

This method is also used by some DCT M3 owners that have the same DCT thats on the 335is and it has been proven to not be harsh on the DCT. I have done over 400+ launches no slippage

I also tested it out with PTF's E50 tuning which has some crazy torque and there was no no slippage. Hope the 335is owners find it useful

__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook

Last edited by BuraQ; 08-09-2014 at 02:56 AM.
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
ganz
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Good stuff. Thanks!
ganz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
rismo
Captain
 
Drives: BMW E92 335
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 840
iTrader: (0)

thx for sharing! Cool stuff!
__________________
BMW 335 E92 08 - Full options - RIP
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - Procede Rev 3 - Vishnu Meth and Chargepipe - Forge Diverter Valves - Vishnu Flex Fuel Kit- AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - EBC Yellow Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PSS - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
rismo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
marsflis
Private
 
Drives: 11 335is
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for sharing bud, here are the links to the videos I recorded trying to use the launch feature prior to you posting these videos. I think I am getting it down, any advice is appreciated



marsflis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
marsflis
Private
 
Drives: 11 335is
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

On the videos I was only concentration on getting the launch, I have been trying out the "shorter" method this weekend and man does it get out of the whole fast! thanks for the help and taking the time to do this! I hope with this method and soon to be mods I will see my mph gauge climb as fast as yours haha
marsflis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsflis View Post
Thanks for sharing bud, here are the links to the videos I recorded trying to use the launch feature prior to you posting these videos. I think I am getting it down, any advice is appreciated
Your loosing power on the launch causing the DSC to kick in too much which causes throttle closures and boost reduction. Take a log of it and you will see

I hear alot of pounding in the back ground so I am assuming you are being too agrressive with you foot work on the pedals

You do not need to hit the kick down switch again after the flag, nor do you have to wait till the RPMs drop that far before releasing the brake

As soon as you lift off the kick down switch you can release the brake immediately, the car wont move anywhere (while the flag is displayed) until you press on the gas peddle (no need to mash it back down). Re-appplication of the gas peddle is to modulate how much power you want to the wheel to reduce wheel spin
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
marsflis
Private
 
Drives: 11 335is
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Your loosing power on the launch causing the DSC to kick in too much which causes throttle closures and boost reduction. Take a log of it and you will see

I hear alot of pounding in the back ground so I am assuming you are being too agrressive with you foot work on the pedals

You do not need to hit the kick down switch again after the flag, nor do you have to wait till the RPMs drop that far before releasing the brake

As soon as you lift off the kick down switch you can release the brake immediately, the car wont move anywhere (while the flag is displayed) until you press on the gas peddle (no need to mash it back down). Re-appplication of the gas peddle is to modulate how much power you want to the wheel to reduce wheel spin
Yea the first video I messed up trying to hold the camera and launch at the same time. I did not know that the car wouldn't move while the flag was up even if the brake was not held down the whole time.

Back to practicing... Will report back with results and vid. Thanks for the tip, I definitely will agree I am being to aggressive with the pedals causing me to keep spinning and loosing time
marsflis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
marsflis
Private
 
Drives: 11 335is
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Just got back from doing some practice, roads were very wet. It's been raining everyday here in sfl. Anyways here are the vids;

Long Metho




Short Method

marsflis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsflis View Post
Just got back from doing some practice, roads were very wet. It's been raining everyday here in sfl. Anyways here are the vids;
perfect
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
marsflis
Private
 
Drives: 11 335is
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
perfect
Thanks again for the help man, night and day difference and the DCT suffers less. BTW I might be heading up to pbir on the 22nd of this month with a few people from the forum, not sure if you would like to join but let me know if you can make it
marsflis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #11
kautiongsr
bigdaddyjulio
 
kautiongsr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 m3, 2011 S1000 rr
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: norwalk, ca

Posts: 152
iTrader: (1)

Imma try this lol
__________________
Big Daddy Julio
kautiongsr is offline   United_States
+1
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #12
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsflis View Post
Thanks again for the help man, night and day difference and the DCT suffers less. BTW I might be heading up to pbir on the 22nd of this month with a few people from the forum, not sure if you would like to join but let me know if you can make it
Thanks for the invite not sure though if I will be able to make it. I dont like going to PBIR unless its cold out.

Keep in mind launching the car on the street vs PBIR track will be a little bit more challenging. Yes you will have superior traction but thats where the type of tires you have and your suspension will be prime factors. Take it easy at first to see if you are getting any wheel hop.

Dont ride the wheel hop, lay off the trottle the first signs of it and adjust.

Thats why i like going in the winer times, stock suspension is much more "stiffer" and tires grip better
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
marsflis
Private
 
Drives: 11 335is
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Thanks for the invite not sure though if I will be able to make it. I dont like going to PBIR unless its cold out.

Keep in mind launching the car on the street vs PBIR track will be a little bit more challenging. Yes you will have superior traction but thats where the type of tires you have and your suspension will be prime factors. Take it easy at first to see if you are getting any wheel hop.

Dont ride the wheel hop, lay off the trottle the first signs of it and adjust.

Thats why i like going in the winer times, stock suspension is much more "stiffer" and tires grip better
Yea Im not sure how much of a winter we get here in FL lol, but I understand man. Last time I went to the track and humidity was up 75% and without an IC the oil temps were horrible. I have much better of a feel for the car and getting the traction so I hope to see better times next time
marsflis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
scaryprowler
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i DCT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Is this procedure of feathering the LC the same with an N54 DCT 335i?

Great vid, I had no idea you could do that...!
scaryprowler is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryprowler View Post
Is this procedure of feathering the LC the same with an N54 DCT 335i?

Great vid, I had no idea you could do that...!
The logic should apply the same
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Does the 335is have certain criteria before launch control is available like in the 135i?
i.e must have driven 10kms and be above a certain temp.
This makes it pretty much impossible for launch control to be available by the time I've staged up at the drag strip.
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Does the 335is have certain criteria before launch control is available like in the 135i?
i.e must have driven 10kms and be above a certain temp.
This makes it pretty much impossible for launch control to be available by the time I've staged up at the drag strip.
Must be past 1500k-1600k miles on the odometer to unlock the ability
Car must be at normal operating temps this only applies after cold cold starts
So at the drag strip I can sit for 1-2 hours and LC is still available
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
 
spool twice's Avatar
 
Drives: S65B40
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL

Posts: 1,253
iTrader: (7)

what would be the method for an M3 since we don't use the brake pedal during LC (it actually shuts off LC if the brake is touched)
spool twice is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,913
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
what would be the method for an M3 since we don't use the brake pedal during LC (it actually shuts off LC if the brake is touched)
Doesn't it shut down if you apply too much brake ? You can still apply the brake you just can't be hard on the brake


Edit: Here is a DCT M3 holding its brake (gently I guess) , revs, brake is released, then it launches . I always underestood this to be an "optional method" of launching the M3 DCT ?


Last edited by BuraQ; 08-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
 
Drives: LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,971
iTrader: (3)

I'm about to trade my 335 for an IS after seeing this lol
__________________
Eat.Sleep.Race is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST