E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Weird problem with sound when is cold!!

12-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
sebaNYC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 328xi

Weird problem with sound when is cold!!

So I had hifi on my car, i replaced with an pioneer stereo, one amp for the speakers (bsw) and underseat subs (earthquake) and i added a box with 2 JL subs powered with another amp (kicker)

So my problem is when is cold, only the box with the subs and the underseat earthquake sounds, the speakers sometimes works, sometimes only the fronts, another time only the back ones, sometimes none.

Wtf is happening?? Any idea?

When is warm weather I don't have any problems

Please help!! It's so annoying
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Gotta be the amp imo
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

I'd put money on your battery. What wattage are your various speakers and amps? (RMS, not peak, which is totally unhelpful.) What's happening is that your battery is cold, and can't supply it's maximum rated current. If your system is putting the battery near its limits, the temperature derating curve will put your max output under the stereo draw, causing the voltage to sag and shut off an arbitrary subset of amps or even individual outputs (running the amp under-voltage is undefined behavior).

To confirm this, I'd be willing to bet the problem goes away if your engine is running higher than idle. It gets worse when you start the car initially (while the starter is drawing 100s of amps). You notice your headlights dim when the stereo struggles.

You could try confirming by letting the car get cold, then heating the battery alone with a heating blanket. If there's no problem, you'll know.

The solution is basically deal with it until everything is warmed up, or replace the battery with one of a higher CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. You can look at the temp derating curve in the battery data sheet to pick the right one scientifically, but higher CCA should move the whole curve up and solve the problem.

You can also probably put a second battery in the system without replacing the original, but that seems excessive.
      12-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
sebaNYC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

alexwhittemore make sense your idea but even if the car is running or idle i have the issue anyway.

Even some times after an hour driving i still have the issue and the sound go back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Call tech support for the amp company and ask them if that is symptomatic of alex's hypothesis.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaNYC View Post
alexwhittemore make sense your idea but even if the car is running or idle i have the issue anyway.

Even some times after an hour driving i still have the issue and the sound go back and forth.
After an hour of driving you have the problem when what? When you stop the car? When you turn the volume up? Arbitrarily?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
sebaNYC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

is just random, i can be driving and the music from the speakers is gone, or i can press a lil any pedal, or i open a window, or close, or because i car passed by me, unfortunately at the moment i couldnt find any "pattern" on this, just random but always in when is cold weather and always is only the speakers, the underseat subs and the box still sounds
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 335i

Amp
      12-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sounds like the power circuitry inside that one amp itself is to blame, although it's surprising that cold would make it worse if the root cause isn't the source side of your power systems. To be fair, overdrawing on the battery and alternator with a basic/typical setup like yours would be very surprising.

Anyway, just for giggles, next time it happens, see if turning the volume down alleviates the issue, and if turning it up makes it worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
sebaNYC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the other day i noticed that when i was listening the music very (very very) loud, started to happen, but again, was a cold day, so i dont know exactly if was for the cold or for the volume
Appreciate 0