E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Turbo stopped kicking in



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
greye92
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: toronto

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Turbo stopped kicking in

Hi guy today I picked up my 07 335i e92 and it was rainy out with the DTS on. I gave it a push and turbo kicked right in, in second gear. The I slowed down right away, I heard a beep sound and check engine light came on. After that the car felt like it became weak, and did not feel the turbo kick in anymore, got a bit worried but the dealer said the computer shot off the turbo cause of the DTS noticed the sleeping. And after an hour or two after stopping and starting again the check engine light fully went off but I didn't push it anymore as I though I might have damaged somthjng with that one push.


Please share your thoughts. I did buy a third party Insurance from the dealer for 3 years which is a bumper to bumper coverage so I hope of anything it is covered.
greye92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
jrsniper12453
Second Lieutenant
 
jrsniper12453's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Las Vegas/LA

Posts: 224
iTrader: (0)

The tires slipping could result in a bit of overboost which would throw the car into limp mode (I think.) Would be helpful if you could pull the codes. Oh also a boost leak leads to limp mode too. Unless that's just with a tune..
__________________
2007 335i, Space Gray, Black/Alum, Sports, Prem, CA, Navi, iPod
jrsniper12453 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
greye92
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: toronto

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

The car when i test drove before buying it was working just fine, boost came in every single time i pushed on the gas, and I pushed it quite a few times when test driving it. This morning the turbo was working well on my way to work, i didnt kill it but i felt the boost come in a couple of times. After about an hour i forced it to go up a bit and it went back to no boost once more with the engine picture showing on the digital portion of the cluster.

When turning the car on i noticed that the is a light dedicated to check engine but this engine picture i see is on the digital portion. Any Thoughts? sorry i didn't get the car manual when i bought it.

Any thoughts on where and how i can get my hands on a digital copy if any online of the car manual?
greye92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaciviceg View Post
The car when i test drove before buying it was working just fine, boost came in every single time i pushed on the gas, and I pushed it quite a few times when test driving it. This morning the turbo was working well on my way to work, i didnt kill it but i felt the boost come in a couple of times. After about an hour i forced it to go up a bit and it went back to no boost once more with the engine picture showing on the digital portion of the cluster.

When turning the car on i noticed that the is a light dedicated to check engine but this engine picture i see is on the digital portion. Any Thoughts? sorry i didn't get the car manual when i bought it.

Any thoughts on where and how i can get my hands on a digital copy if any online of the car manual?
Turbochargers don't really"kick in " and "Kick out". They are driven by the exhaust and they get up to speed at about 1800 rpm I believe but there shouldnt be any real kick. Should be pretty seamless pull from 1800-6000.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Reznick
First Lieutenant
 
Reznick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

Posts: 383
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Turbochargers don't really"kick in " and "Kick out". They are driven by the exhaust and they get up to speed at about 1800 rpm I believe but there shouldnt be any real kick. Should be pretty seamless pull from 1800-6000.
+1. You may have a completely unrelated problem to your turbo system.. You're engine may be losing power for a completely different reason making you feel like your turbo isn't "kicking in" .Wish I could be more help, but without some diagnostic codes, it could be a # of things. Best of luck
Reznick is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 566
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaciviceg View Post
The car when i test drove before buying it was working just fine, boost came in every single time i pushed on the gas, and I pushed it quite a few times when test driving it. This morning the turbo was working well on my way to work, i didnt kill it but i felt the boost come in a couple of times. After about an hour i forced it to go up a bit and it went back to no boost once more with the engine picture showing on the digital portion of the cluster.

When turning the car on i noticed that the is a light dedicated to check engine but this engine picture i see is on the digital portion. Any Thoughts? sorry i didn't get the car manual when i bought it.

Any thoughts on where and how i can get my hands on a digital copy if any online of the car manual?
The car manual isn't going to tell you much, you need a way of getting those codes. You can use a OBD2-friendly scan tool to read those.

By 'digital portion', you're referring to the LCD screen in the middle of the gauge cluster?
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
CUTigers
Captain
 
CUTigers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta/Lawrenceville

Posts: 859
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
I think by digital he means can he find a PDF version of the manual, and yes, you can. Just get it off BMW im pretty sure...... You might have a boost leak in yoru vacuum lines. But like everyone else said, just go to a local indy shop, they can pull the codes and tell you in short time.
CUTigers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
edirtaynine
Major General
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 6,093
iTrader: (0)

because vtec took over.
__________________
e90post killed plastidip
Just say no to painted stock wheels

jm3as hooks it up
edirtaynine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
 
upstatedoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
because vtec took over.
stole my line
__________________
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
upstatedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
CombatNinja
Banned
 
CombatNinja's Avatar
 
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (0)

Vtec just kicked in, yo. You won't feel the tiny N54 turbos "kick in", boost builds progressively and smoothly. It is actually hard to even tell that these engines are turbocharged from behind the wheel. OP, have you considered the fact that maybe you don't know anything about cars?
CombatNinja is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 566
iTrader: (0)

I guess everyone missed that he got a CEL and decided to criticize him instead about mis-speaking.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
greye92
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: toronto

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Wow, never mind guys. Thanks for all the helpful tips, apparently no one on this forum knows anything about cars.
greye92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
greye92
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: toronto

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Vtec just kicked in, yo. You won't feel the tiny N54 turbos "kick in", boost builds progressively and smoothly. It is actually hard to even tell that these engines are turbocharged from behind the wheel. OP, have you considered the fact that maybe you don't know anything about cars?
Since you know so much about the 3 series why don't you either help with solving my problem or just don't bother saying shit on people posts if you have no clue as how this car works.
greye92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
reprod
Major
 
Drives: 435i (M-Sport)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, NY

Posts: 1,461
iTrader: (6)

Ok guys, simmer down... OP, you'll need to either go to a shop or ind someone that can scan the codes your car is throwing. Based on those codes, you should be pointed in the right direction as to where the problem lies.
__________________
'08 Sparkling Graph. E92 335xi (ZSP w/ 18s | Saddle Br. | Grey Poplar) (Returned)
'11 Space Grey E92 335xi M-Sport (KWv1 Coils | Saddle Brown | Bamboo) (Returned)
'14 Mineral Grey F32 335i M-Sport (DHP | LED Lights | Coral Red | Hexagonal Aluminum)
reprod is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
AndyR83
Major
 
AndyR83's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 1,024
iTrader: (5)

This happened to me under hard driving conditions once and was found to be caused by a low quality oil filter that had fallen apart into three pieces and was impeding the flow of oil.
AndyR83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 10,144
iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine
because vtec took over.
Haha omg dude totally read my mind!
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
 
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 10,144
iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83
This happened to me under hard driving conditions once and was found to be caused by a low quality oil filter that had fallen apart into three pieces and was impeding the flow of oil.
Ugh what a nightmare...
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
n54gte
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

swap the n54 with a k20. vtec kicks in better
n54gte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
WildBee659
Newbee
 
WildBee659's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i E93, Black Sapphire
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

Did you just purchased it from a dealership? If you did, take it back to them. You also mentioned 3rd party warranty. I would take it back and have them fix it.

Like others mention, the turbos don't kick in, the powerband is smooth from 1500-1800rpms to redline. Since max torque comes on early (1500-1800rpms) you may feel being pushed into the seat. Also, without any codes we can play the guessing game all day. Take it back and let them fix it, then come back and post what they found wrong and how they fixed it. This way we all learn what the cause was and the solution.
Just my .02cts.
__________________

2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 "SuperBee"
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 (Wife's Car)
2011 BMW 335i/E93: M-Sport, PPK1, BMW PE, Black Kidney Grills
WildBee659 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
greye92
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: toronto

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBee659
Did you just purchased it from a dealership? If you did, take it back to them. You also mentioned 3rd party warranty. I would take it back and have them fix it.

Like others mention, the turbos don't kick in, the powerband is smooth from 1500-1800rpms to redline. Since max torque comes on early (1500-1800rpms) you may feel being pushed into the seat. Also, without any codes we can play the guessing game all day. Take it back and let them fix it, then come back and post what they found wrong and how they fixed it. This way we all learn what the cause was and the solution.
Just my .02cts.
The turbo seems to working fine when the tires don't slip when I push the car, problem here in Canada is that we are getting more than usual rain due to the recent hurricane.

Can the code be available of the check engine light is off?
greye92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
mcpcolas
First Lieutenant
 
mcpcolas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 montego blue 335i xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey

Posts: 370
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaciviceg
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBee659
Did you just purchased it from a dealership? If you did, take it back to them. You also mentioned 3rd party warranty. I would take it back and have them fix it.

Like others mention, the turbos don't kick in, the powerband is smooth from 1500-1800rpms to redline. Since max torque comes on early (1500-1800rpms) you may feel being pushed into the seat. Also, without any codes we can play the guessing game all day. Take it back and let them fix it, then come back and post what they found wrong and how they fixed it. This way we all learn what the cause was and the solution.
Just my .02cts.
The turbo seems to working fine when the tires don't slip when I push the car, problem here in Canada is that we are getting more than usual rain due to the recent hurricane.

Can the code be available of the check engine light is off?
Yes the codes are stored until cleared . May I suggest changing ur user name this forum don't play nice with civic owners, so just bluntly letting them know ur a vtech type guy is asking for trouble . Again this is just a suggestion . But I had a good laugh with some of the vtech jokes
mcpcolas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
 
SubzeroVR4's Avatar
 
Drives: Infiniti FX35
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaciviceg View Post
Hi guy today I picked up my 07 335i e92 and it was rainy out with the DTS on. I gave it a push and turbo kicked right in, in second gear. The I slowed down right away, I heard a beep sound and check engine light came on. After that the car felt like it became weak, and did not feel the turbo kick in anymore, got a bit worried but the dealer said the computer shot off the turbo cause of the DTS noticed the sleeping. And after an hour or two after stopping and starting again the check engine light fully went off but I didn't push it anymore as I though I might have damaged somthjng with that one push.


Please share your thoughts. I did buy a third party Insurance from the dealer for 3 years which is a bumper to bumper coverage so I hope of anything it is covered.

You were pushing it in the rain. Sounds the the TCS just detected some wheel spin and cut engine power. You're probably not feeling the "kick" because TCS is limiting the power in low rpms and by the time power is restored you're already moving. Like others have said, these cars have litttle to no turbo lag so you won't be feeling a "kick".
SubzeroVR4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST