E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Can someone tell me why AE's burn out?

11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
stilov
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

Can someone tell me why AE's burn out?

The aftermarket ones that is...

I mean the actual LED bulb itself is "supposed" to last for 10,000 or whatever hours,

Why do the lesser priced AE bulbs go out so quickly, or maybe even the higher end ones?

I guess I am looking for technical information. I have gone through several sets of bulbs...granted the vendor has been awesome, but it's still a pain.
      11-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

They are probably failing, and not necessarily "burning out". There's much more to the circuitry than the actual LED "bulb" portion that is more likely to be failing.
      11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
stilov
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

I know there is more to it, but what I am wondering...what is it that makes it fail?
      11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
They are probably failing, and not necessarily "burning out". There's much more to the circuitry than the actual LED "bulb" portion that is more likely to be failing.
Yes thats correct. The electronics normally fail, and depending on which after market LED angel eyes you go with there could be various reasons. Some of the less expensive brands use cheep components that aren't rated for power spikes or the components are just not good quality. The electronics should be rather complex to handle all car's electrical system and a bad design will result in failures

LUX H8 V4 - Color Adjustable Angel Eyes | LUX H8 V4 Ultimate Review
LUX will be closed from Sept 6th - Sept 21st. We will be unavailable to respond to messages during this time frame
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States