E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Slipping clutch :(

11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: AW coral red E93

Slipping clutch :(

Well it turns out that a few weeks ago I noticed my clutch starting to slip. Ever since that moment it's been nothing but 2500 rpm shifts

Now that I've put her away for the long winter months I'm looking to get it replaced. But I'm unsure of what to get. I've contacted HPF for they're stg2 but its really expensive on top of all that I've been scared to pull the trigger on it because of some of the reviews I've seen lately.

What I'm looking for is something that will hold power but also easy for a DD. I've heard a few good things about the ACT clutch bust still a bit worried. Is there anyone in the GTA with an aftermarket clutch that could possibly give me some insight? I'd like to at least feel the pedal pressure on a few clutch kits before I pull the trigger. I'm not asking to go crazy. Maybe a drive around the parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Lol Marco you too eh...

Looks like we're in the same boat. I've been doing a lot of review and am stuck on two options.

HPF - expensive, but stock feel, higher torque dating
-may weld with the FW if under too much pressure - this freaks me out because I like to 1/4 track

Spec stg 2+ - good price, good torque rating, good reviews, but not sure if can pair well with DMFW
- their LWFW option has a lot of chatter, unacceptable for my DD

It'll honestly depend on your goals. If you wanna stay FBO and nothing more the Spec stage 2 w/ DMFW is a good option; hell even the ACT.
The HPF may also be good here since at most you'll be pushing under 500trq

If you want more power down the road then keep researching because you don't wanna be replacing this twice too soon lol
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Lol Marco you too eh...

Looks like we're in the same boat. I've been doing a lot of review and am stuck on two options.

HPF - expensive, but stock feel, higher torque dating
-may weld with the FW if under too much pressure - this freaks me out because I like to 1/4 track

Spec stg 2+ - good price, good torque rating, good reviews, but not sure if can pair well with DMFW
- their LWFW option has a lot of chatter, unacceptable for my DD

It'll honestly depend on your goals. If you wanna stay FBO and nothing more the Spec stage 2 w/ DMFW is a good option; hell even the ACT.
The HPF may also be good here since at most you'll be pushing under 500trq

If you want more power down the road then keep researching because you don't wanna be replacing this twice too soon lol

Lol. That's the reason why I'm scared to get the HPF clutch. I don't want any chatter either. I'm planning on being full bolt on by spring. All I have now is Cobb stg1+ aggressive with intercooler planning on getting dp cp and intake during the winter and the last thing I need is to purchace a clutch that won't hold and is too harsh for DD. I do want to go single one day but that won't be anytime soon. Might also jump to the proceed if I can get rid of my Cobb in the spring
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Don't stress over the HPF if you keep your car FBO for the next few years. The HPF is the closest thing to the stock feeling from what I can see.

As for the melding, I think that was an issue with using an aluminum LWFW in combination.

Our OEM DMFW is much stronger, dissipates heat better and will eliminate chatter 99% then any other FW. You just need to find a skilled/experienced machiner to machine the FW instead of trying to replace it. GL here; this has been my headache right now.

My top two options based on reviews right now are Spec Stage 2 Plus & HPF both utilizing the OEM DMFW.

Let me know what you hear or if you find any good deals. And stay away from BMW, they sand the FW and tell you they machined it. Idiots
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
I'm going to mention Southbend again. They make the HPF Feramic clutch and have other clutch options with just about any friction material you want. A Stage 3 organic is rated at 490 flywheel tq and would make for a good option on a FBO stock turbo setup (ACT organic is rated for less tq with low engagement)

My stock clutch is surprisingly still holding up but want to go this route when the time comes.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...s/Stage_3/3937
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk
I'm going to mention Southbend again. They make the HPF Feramic clutch and have other clutch options with just about any friction material you want. A Stage 3 organic is rated at 490 flywheel tq and would make for a good option on a FBO stock turbo setup (ACT organic is rated for less tq with low engagement)

My stock clutch is surprisingly still holding up but want to go this route when the time comes.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...s/Stage_3/3937
Hey nitehawk it's great more locals are chiming in.

I read something about them using Exedy clutches and rebranding. I don't think I want to pay a premium to southbend when really I'm getting an Exedy.

That being said, I'd go straight to the source. I love Exedy!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Don't stress over the HPF if you keep your car FBO for the next few years. The HPF is the closest thing to the stock feeling from what I can see.

As for the melding, I think that was an issue with using an aluminum LWFW in combination.

Our OEM DMFW is much stronger, dissipates heat better and will eliminate chatter 99% then any other FW. You just need to find a skilled/experienced machiner to machine the FW instead of trying to replace it. GL here; this has been my headache right now.

My top two options based on reviews right now are Spec Stage 2 Plus & HPF both utilizing the OEM DMFW.

Let me know what you hear or if you find any good deals. And stay away from BMW, they sand the FW and tell you they machined it. Idiots

My plan is to keep the stock DMFW as I don't want any chatter. Plus I do like the way the pedal feels and don't want to lose that. I don't mind getting the HPF if need be but I'd rather get something a tad bit cheaper lol. And if its local the better. I don't know the condition of my DMFW so I'm not sure what to do with it? Where would I get it machined? And if worse come to worse where would I get a new one other than going to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335i

First off whatever you do you will need to replace the flywheel, period, no exceptions. I've been down this road. Again do not think you can save the flywheel, unless it is machined, which is tricky cause it is a dual mass and expensive.
So there fore options.
I am running a spec 2+ with light flywheel, does it chatter yes, does it sound like a diesel, yes, but I do not care cause it revs faster and I know at high rpm my car pulls better.
However as some do not like this they also off a dual mass flywheel in which you will not get chatter. At the same token it is more money.
So it is all up to your budget.
My 10 cents
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
LWFW = $500-600
DMFW = $1000

Machined DMFW = $80-$160

As for pedal feel, the flywheel has nothing to do with that. I'm pretty sure it's the pressure plate on the clutch and HPF is like OEM.
Spec stage 2 will be stiffer; which I'm okay with.

Labour is $400 at most shops.
Decisions, decisions!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Where can I get it machined in the GTA? If worse come to worse ill purchace a new one. Any recommendations as to where I should go? Ill be doing the work myself with my friend who has a shop and a hoist. He's also a Licensed mechanic so I don't have to worry too much
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoE93
Where can I get it machined in the GTA? If worse come to worse ill purchace a new one. Any recommendations as to where I should go? Ill be doing the work myself with my friend who has a shop and a hoist. He's also a Licensed mechanic so I don't have to worry too much
Both Ivo And Rocco say they know people to machine it, but at the end of the day I would ask questions.

My primary concern is whether or not someone has the experience and proper tools to do the job because its serious work. If its not balanced properly - big mess!

$1000 is scary shit for a new FW
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

$1000 is scary shit for a new FW
It is but at the end of the day it still needs to be done. I just want to do it once right.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Hey nitehawk it's great more locals are chiming in.

I read something about them using Exedy clutches and rebranding. I don't think I want to pay a premium to southbend when really I'm getting an Exedy.

That being said, I'd go straight to the source. I love Exedy!!
I'll call and clarify if they have anything to do with Exedy. I like Southbend as they have a great reputation in the VW Audi community and offer clutches supporting over 1000 wtq for diesel trucks, so they know their stuff.

As for flywheel, you can get the OEM DMFW resurfaced. It is tricky though, so many shops are not willing to do it. Dzenno had his OEM DMFW resurfaced without issue at Mr Transmission, located by the Erin Mills Auto Mall in Mississauga. (Edit: I called to confirm this and they can get it resurfaced for $100 and it usually takes a few hours).

If your DMFW is cooked and at the point of no return, you can get it for much cheaper than $1000. ECS Tuning offers it under $700 USD shipped within the US. LuK is the OEM supplier of the BMW DMFW, so you are basically getting it without the "BMW tax"

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...tch/ES2580762/

Last edited by nitehawk; 11-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
nemo07
JBC
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 AW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
First off whatever you do you will need to replace the flywheel, period, no exceptions. I've been down this road. Again do not think you can save the flywheel, unless it is machined, which is tricky cause it is a dual mass and expensive.
So there fore options.
I am running a spec 2+ with light flywheel, does it chatter yes, does it sound like a diesel, yes, but I do not care cause it revs faster and I know at high rpm my car pulls better.
However as some do not like this they also off a dual mass flywheel in which you will not get chatter. At the same token it is more money.
So it is all up to your budget.
My 10 cents
+1

I went with the Spec 2+ w/ lwfw and I get some chatter, not all the time and it doesn't other me at all. I know my car is putting down a lot of hp and tq.
Cobb Protune (PTF), HFS-4 Meth Kit, DCI, Spec Stg 2+ clutch w/ lwfw, Raceland DP's, OCC, F1 Racewerks IC, ER Charge Pipe, Forged DV's, CSL Rep Trunk, Aero lip, Mtech Rear, Custom Ground Control Coilovers, 235/35/19 275/30/19, Quaife LSD, Diff Lockdown Kit, DSS Half Shafts, M3 subframe bushing, M3 Rear Sway Bar, JBC Tuning
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
n52330i
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 330i

I called RMP Motors today, they CAN machine the DMFW!!!

SO no $1000 Flywheels!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n52330i View Post
I called RMP Motors today, they CAN machine the DMFW!!!

SO no $1000 Flywheels!!!

Well that's good news. Ill be giving them a call then. Does anyone happen to know how long they would take to machine it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
RMP confirmed this to me as well.
If Mr. Transmission is doing it for $100 though, depends who you trust more to do the work. I'm impartial here as I haven't used either.

I'm gonna be looking at doing this soon. Maybe we can get a GB going lmao!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
RMP confirmed this to me as well.
If Mr. Transmission is doing it for $100 though, depends who you trust more to do the work. I'm impartial here as I haven't used either.

I'm gonna be looking at doing this soon. Maybe we can get a GB going lmao!
Lmao I wonder if we actually could? I'd be down for saving some money.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
MarcoE93
Private First Class
Rep

Bump. Going to be FBO (except meth for now) by spring and looking to get the clutch done at the same time. Anyone local here wanna shed some light on any aftermarket one they have installed? Ill meet up with you and bring coffee for the trouble. Pm me if you can help me out in making a decision
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
bulldog x6
Major General
Rep

Drives: x6 panzer

don't get the spec clutch - I had a terrible experience with them
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Volasko
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
You turbo guys might as well be speaking in a different language with all those acronyms!!

I got halfway through this thread and just gave up....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6
don't get the spec clutch - I had a terrible experience with them
Why would you say this? Can you provide some insight into your statement?

I'm about to buy a Spec Stage 2 Plus and fit it to the OEM DMFW and would like more info.
Appreciate 0