E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Thermostat?

02-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
335dwanted
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 335d

Thermostat?

So with the onset of winter I have noticed that my coolant temperatures have been surprisingly low (measured via Torque program on my phone).

On this morning's drive to work it was roughly 5F. It took the car about 8.5 minutes to approach 160F (car was parked in the garage and showed 37F on the outside temp guage when I started up). This warm up time was all surface streets at 40 MPH or so.

On my 25 minute trip the coolant temp never got higher than 171.6F. Near the end of the trip I get on the highway and travel roughly 75 MPH for 8 minutes and the temp stays within 168.8F and 165F.

My car is a 2009 335D w/ 65K miles. I bought the car late last summer with 62K so I don't have a lot of experience with the coolant temps (although when it was warmer out this fall I would see temps right around 180F if my recollection is right - I can check some of my old logs if need be). I don't have the radiator blocked in any fashion and my EGR is still unblocked (working normally).

Does this feel normal to you guys or should I be thinking about my thermostat? If not normal, is there any way to check the thermostat? I have CPO coverage for another month, but I anticpate resistance to get my stealership to look at this proactively (no SES).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
locolobo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Barbera Red Metallic

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to locolobo
It's supposed to maintain 88C. Mine was running low at 82C, even in summer, so I replaced it (myself). The new one is still not staying closed all the time to full temp. I have decided not to worry about it; the car is running fine.
      02-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
335dwanted
Rep

Thanks Loco. Based on a bit of reading it appears that there may be a thermostat for the EGR cooler in addition to the main/traditional thermostat. I presume you changed the main one; was it difficult?

It was 16F degrees this morning and the coolant bounced between 168 and 172 in 20 minute drive through town (no highway driving). That is roughly 77C.

I guess I will try to get the dealer to look at it, but if they won't cover I will look into replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a cock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
Thanks Loco. Based on a bit of reading it appears that there may be a thermostat for the EGR cooler in addition to the main/traditional thermostat. I presume you changed the main one; was it difficult?

It was 16F degrees this morning and the coolant bounced between 168 and 172 in 20 minute drive through town (no highway driving). That is roughly 77C.

I guess I will try to get the dealer to look at it, but if they won't cover I will look into replacing it.
Those are my temps during a full warm-up with my EGR blocked. With you, that shouldn't be the case. I actually don't mind the car when it just sits at 180F during the summer, it kind of helps reduce heatstroke.

This morning my car never went above 152F during a 15min highway trip, it was 0 degree's

OEF Veteran
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 03:19 AM   #5
Yozh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
Based on a bit of reading it appears that there may be a thermostat for the EGR cooler in addition to the main/traditional thermostat.
It is only on the European cars that an EGR thermostat was fitted. North American ones control the EGR cooler bypass utilizing a vacuum operated solenoid. That in turn is controlled through an electric switchover valve fed from the vacuum pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
335dwanted
Rep

Thanks Yozh; this explains why I could not fine a US part number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
It is only on the European cars that an EGR thermostat was fitted. North American ones control the EGR cooler bypass utilizing a vacuum operated solenoid. That in turn is controlled through an electric switchover valve fed from the vacuum pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
TDIwyse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I've had 6 diesel vehicles and in extreme cold weather, when they're not being worked hard, none of them get up to and maintain full operating temp. Since new, I've had to cover the front openings on the 335d to achieve full operating temp in the winter, and even then it takes awhile. However, if you do choose to cover the front it's a good idea to monitor coolant temps, especially if it still does dpf regens ... things get real hot when the regen is going on.
      02-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
335dwanted
Rep

Thanks, I will look into blocking off the radiator; I saw where you posted your shutter panels. I almost always drive with Torque running on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I've had 6 diesel vehicles and in extreme cold weather, when they're not being worked hard, none of them get up to and maintain full operating temp. Since new, I've had to cover the front openings on the 335d to achieve full operating temp in the winter, and even then it takes awhile. However, if you do choose to cover the front it's a good idea to monitor coolant temps, especially if it still does dpf regens ... things get real hot when the regen is going on.
Appreciate 0