Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > PLease help guys!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
alfaroe2
Private
Rep

Drives: Black Sapphire Beauty

PLease help guys!!

HI,
I recently purchased 19in ZCP reps wrapped in Federal tires. While I drive I keep hearing a very faint sort of raspy hissing sound coming from the rim/tires. I did not notice it until I pass cars with my windows down. When I pass them I can hear the hissing rasp noise.

The rims were balanced, rotated, and I had perfect alignment so none of that is the issue. I also have no vibration. I also removed the rims to inspect and see if there was anythign that was visibly rubbing or being damaged and I couldnt find anything.

Have any of you experienced this? Any input would be greatly appreciated! The noise is driving me crazy (even though its extremely faint).

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
alfaroe2
Private
Rep

bump??
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Gerry@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW E30

It could be possible that the sound you hear is just the 'road noise' from the tires that is generated while your car is in motion?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
alfaroe2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry@bavarianx View Post
It could be possible that the sound you hear is just the 'road noise' from the tires that is generated while your car is in motion?
I thought that, but I can definitely hear the road noise from the tires. I used to run Eagle F-1's so I can definitely tell the difference in tire noise because those things howled like hell. This is different, its more of a hissing kind of faint scraping or scrathcing hiss sound. Its really REALLy hard to explain. I tried to record it but with the wind noise its impossible to hear.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Have you checked all of your tire pressures? You could have a leak when the tire rotates.

-Charles@VMRWheels

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Holiday Special! **
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep

Drives: e92

does it only make the sound when you're in motion? does it get louder the faster you go? (like if you were to drive next to a wall on the freeway and listen)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
alfaroe2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
does it only make the sound when you're in motion? does it get louder the faster you go? (like if you were to drive next to a wall on the freeway and listen)

yes!! Its gets louder the faster I go but it doesnt go much louder past 40 mph. When I am rolling on the highway the sounds gets loud and stabilizes around 55+mph
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
alfaroe2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Have you checked all of your tire pressures? You could have a leak when the tire rotates.

-Charles@VMRWheels
I am going to check my tire pressures today. I keep my pressure on all 4 @ 40 psi.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
thkfast
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 335i Sedan

There is always the chance the noise is unrelated to the new wheels. If you still have your stock wheels and tires, maybe try swapping out ONE CORNER at a time until you isolate which wheel/tire is causing the problem. I'd even go as far as bolting up the stock wheels/tires, roll your windows down and do the same listening test - just to make sure the noise is related to the new wheels!

2010 E90 335i Montego Blue / Gray Dakota Leather / ZSP ZPP STEP / SSTT / AluFelgen CS7's / M3 lip spoiler / Gloss Black Kidneys / K&N drop-in / Full-time Dual Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
alfaroe2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
There is always the chance the noise is unrelated to the new wheels. If you still have your stock wheels and tires, maybe try swapping out ONE CORNER at a time until you isolate which wheel/tire is causing the problem. I'd even go as far as bolting up the stock wheels/tires, roll your windows down and do the same listening test - just to make sure the noise is related to the new wheels!
I did this, and it was a pain!!!! the noise was still there so I was happy it had nothign to do with the new rims/tires. While I was back there I also checked my brakes and they seemed fine.

For an update. Today I took it to the dealer and the shop foreman took a drive with me. He concluded this loud scraping/hissing sounds is my differential and now my car is going to get an entire rear differential setup. I took my vehicle in for differential check when it was under maintenance as it was making a thumping noise. They supposedly fixed it but they obviously didnt. I am out of warranty but I told them this error was linked ot the previous visit and they shoudl have caught it. So they are fixing it I am assuming for free since they didnt give me a quote on the cost of this.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaroe2 View Post

For an update. Today I took it to the dealer and the shop foreman took a drive with me. He concluded this loud scraping/hissing sounds is my differential and now my car is going to get an entire rear differential setup. I took my vehicle in for differential check when it was under maintenance as it was making a thumping noise. They supposedly fixed it but they obviously didnt. I am out of warranty but I told them this error was linked ot the previous visit and they shoudl have caught it. So they are fixing it I am assuming for free since they didnt give me a quote on the cost of this.
Hopefully this gets covered for you. Good luck!

-Charles@VMRWheels

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Holiday Special! **
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaroe2 View Post
I did this, and it was a pain!!!! the noise was still there so I was happy it had nothign to do with the new rims/tires. While I was back there I also checked my brakes and they seemed fine.

so what exactly was the problem? i just changed to winter set and having this noise coming from the front. is that something i can DIY ?? i dont have to visit dealer anytime until january.. please help thanks
Appreciate 0