E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E90 proper way to retrofit new style i-drive controller

08-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Teq
Private

Drives: E90

E90 proper way to retrofit new style i-drive controller

Hi,

I'm going to install a new style i-drive controller in my pre-facelift E90 (10/2007) which has a navi prof. (CCC)
I searched a lot but I see various methods how to do this.
I would like to know how to properly do this retrofit.
A couple of questions:
-Do I need to change wiring for the new style controller?
-After installing which module needs a software update? Is it and only CAPPL?
-Can I also do the software update with ista-p?
-The engine ecu contains a custom chip. How do I make sure that this isn't erased?
-After the software update I need to change "ZBE low with slopes". In which module can this be found? CAPPL?
      08-16-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
BOTUS
Private First Class

Drives: E90 335d

you are way over thinking this. On set up you say you have,

unplug the old one, plug in the new one, drive the car....

in more detail: (NO TOOLS NEEDED AT ALL) don't disconnect the battery don't even bother taking the key out. Pull up centre console storage lid and leave up. Pull the gearbox gator trim off console by hand, now reach in and pull the old console trim up rear end first. You now have a choice, play with gear lever knob and wiring for illumination and auto interlock. Or just manipulate them both through hole. Now disconnect 4 pin idrive multiplug and cigarette lighter 3 pin multiplug (if fitted) when off, throw the old trim and controller in the bin where it belongs.

Screw new controller to new trim, plug in all wires you disconnected. Test if all functions are working. Now put trim in front first (ideally with a bit of silicone spray on the clips so it comes off easily next time... remember the new trim is very weak around the controller), push down firmly. Shut console lid. Job complete.

The fun ONLY comes on older cars or the non widescreen idrive.

Early 2006 with CCC, the wiring is different to power haptic feedback on idrive. There are posts where some say they rewired and left off the power. However the scroll doesn't happen, I believe CCC hardware maybe different. Never read a post to say they really resolved this.

Early 2007 with CCC, non haptic feedback. Plug in the new controller and see if scroll works. If not get whole car integration updated. (you could do the gateway update only but you'd be an idiot). If scroll doesn't work the software is original junk, update the car it will be a better vehicle.

If in either of these you lose scroll functionality, you can navigate via steering wheel buttons.. If its a 2007 car I'd leave it like this till you update the software. I don't believe the coding cares which controller is fitted, anyone know better? Even so rather than mess about just lift console trim at rear and plug wires in old controller code then refit to new controller and push trim down.

Business Mask, (non widescreen idrive) you have to do gateway G2 update to 2009 spec (LCI update?) Otherwise no idrive controller features work (other than illumination).

why did you not post this on one of the posts where people already gave answers or asked questions? NOW next time someone searches it means there's another waste of time to read.

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-16-2014 at 03:36 AM.
      08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
jezzy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

guys your forgetting something very important, to use the new i-drive cic controller in a ccc car, you need a new centre console that has the cut-out for an i-drive controller. They are not compatible.

other than that, yes it's plug and play. Make sure to get a i-drive controller that has 4 pins.. i heard others getting a 6 pin one which doesn't work.

i love the new cic controller.
CIC Retrofit / Combox
jezzy is offline   Canada
      08-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Teq
Private

Drives: E90

BOTUS
Thank you for your reply.
The main reason for opening a new thread is because the other thread don't contain the answers to my question after reading 4 pages.
Let an admin decide If this thread is waste or maybe he can merged it.

jezzy
Thanks about the trim.