Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin PSS vs Dunlop Star Direzza

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep

Drives: 2011 335is coupe

Michelin PSS vs Dunlop Star Direzza

I am considering a new set of tires.

The power of the Dunlop Star Spec Z1 Direzza was its firm sidewall for cornering like a RFT.
Also great traction in dry and wet.

I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports since they seem to be getting such great reviews.

Who has experienced both and has an opinion? I'm interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
jzmundy
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E82

I had the Direzza Star Specs on my 335 until about a month ago when I switched to the PSS.

In short, I much prefer the MIchelins.

The two tires have very similar handling characteristics as far as street driving is concerned. I have not had any experience with either tire on the track. In both cases, turn in is crisp (perhaps still not quite as crisp as with RFTs) and both wet and dry traction is superb. With the colder weather here in NC, both experience decreased levels of traction but you shouldn't have to worry about that in FL.

My big beef with the Dunlops was the INSANE road noise after about 5k miles of wear. Can't speak for the Michelins yet (only have about 500 miles on them), but I haven't read anything about noise issues. Another big selling point for me with the Michelins was the tread wear rating. I'm expecting them to last longer than the Dunlops, which lasted about 14k miles for me.
      11-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
zipstic
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
I haven't driven on both, but the overall consensus is that the PSS is a better tire. The only drawback is cost.
      11-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep

Drives: 2011 335is coupe

Thanks for the comparison!

Yes, noise is an issue on the Dunlops.
But after Goodyear GS D3's, the Star Direzza was one of those exceptional tire finds!
I had PS2s and they didn't last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy07 View Post
I had the Direzza Star Specs on my 335 until about a month ago when I switched to the PSS.

In short, I much prefer the MIchelins.

The two tires have very similar handling characteristics as far as street driving is concerned. I have not had any experience with either tire on the track. In both cases, turn in is crisp (perhaps still not quite as crisp as with RFTs) and both wet and dry traction is superb. With the colder weather here in NC, both experience decreased levels of traction but you shouldn't have to worry about that in FL.

My big beef with the Dunlops was the INSANE road noise after about 5k miles of wear. Can't speak for the Michelins yet (only have about 500 miles on them), but I haven't read anything about noise issues. Another big selling point for me with the Michelins was the tread wear rating. I'm expecting them to last longer than the Dunlops, which lasted about 14k miles for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

I have driven on both in our E90 test vehicles and I have to agree with jzmundy07's summary. The Z1 is a great price for such a good handling tire but its high noise levels and stiff ride are too much to have to put up with for many drivers.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&url=index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary' as your previous contact when you order online.
Appreciate 0