E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering issues

01-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
germanwhip
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Steering issues

For the last 6-7 months my steering is playing up on my 07 335i E92 with 60k on the clock.

At 30-50mph turning the wheel small degrees left and right gives you a weird light / heavy steering feel (like driving a car from 1990) .

On light breaking the wheel shimmies quite a lot but on hard braking it seems to be fine. However if you brake hard the steering wheel can become similar to the above (at 30-50) for a while, like jelly! I don't think I can hear any strange noises on braking yet (heard something the other day but not sure if that is the origin).

A mechanic checked the suspension and said there is a little bit of play in one of the bushings but not much. He told me to balance, align and replace rotors.

I haven't replaced my rotors because they have done 5k miles and don't seem like the cause to me. After having done a 4 wheel alignment and balance there is minimal improvement.

I'm thinking its the control arms? How to know if it is the lower or upper arms or should I just replace both?

I have spent a lot of money on the car and otherwise its in perfect condition now... I want to sell it within the next few months so just want this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
W37V
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanwhip View Post
For the last 6-7 months my steering is playing up on my 07 335i E92 with 60k on the clock.

At 30-50mph turning the wheel small degrees left and right gives you a weird light / heavy steering feel (like driving a car from 1990) .

On light breaking the wheel shimmies quite a lot but on hard braking it seems to be fine. However if you brake hard the steering wheel can become similar to the above (at 30-50) for a while, like jelly! I don't think I can hear any strange noises on braking yet (heard something the other day but not sure if that is the origin).

A mechanic checked the suspension and said there is a little bit of play in one of the bushings but not much. He told me to balance, align and replace rotors.

I haven't replaced my rotors because they have done 5k miles and don't seem like the cause to me. After having done a 4 wheel alignment and balance there is minimal improvement.

I'm thinking its the control arms? How to know if it is the lower or upper arms or should I just replace both?

I have spent a lot of money on the car and otherwise its in perfect condition now... I want to sell it within the next few months so just want this fixed.
That sounds to me as bad tie rod. I would start there and just replace both tie rod arms, instead of just tie rod ends. OEM arms are like $60 each and take no time to replace. OEM ends are ~$50.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
germanwhip
Private
Rep

Why do you think tie rod / how sure are you?

I don't suppose anyone could supply me with a part number for this?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
W37V
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Why do you think tie rod / how sure are you?

I don't suppose anyone could supply me with a part number for this?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/33...35&m=20&page=1

Lemforder brand is OEM.

32106765235 - left
32106765236 - right
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #5
SE7EN335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

definitely tie rod ends or arms. I had the same issue but mine was much worse, where my steering wheel had play in that if I steer a little bit it would have no responsiveness in turning and I could actually feel there was something clunking around when I turn the steering that little bit.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
germanwhip
Private
Rep

I changed the tie rod arms + ends and had it realigned... problem persists

I changed a front rotor which had some thickness variation... problem still persists!!

I guess control arm bushings are next?

The vibration is really harsh when accelerating hard above 40-50mph and on medium to light braking..

(this is just ridiculous, money pit grows larger)

Last edited by germanwhip; 02-15-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
bhmax16
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E92

Control arm (i.e., thrust rod) bushings are a common 3-series issue of pretty much any generation. Our gen is with hydraulic fluid and will typically leak when they go bad. They will not always develop significant play when they go bad, and your mechanic will not be able to feel much if any play in them especially if he did not check them correctly. They should be checked with the suspension under load, not with the vehicle suspended in the air not under load.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
germanwhip
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
Control arm (i.e., thrust rod) bushings are a common 3-series issue of pretty much any generation. Our gen is with hydraulic fluid and will typically leak when they go bad. They will not always develop significant play when they go bad, and your mechanic will not be able to feel much if any play in them especially if he did not check them correctly. They should be checked with the suspension under load, not with the vehicle suspended in the air not under load.
Well i guess this is the only thing left really?

Can someone give me a part number because im confused by the different types upper/lower etc. Whcih ones could it be?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
germanwhip
Private
Rep

do i really want to pay 1-2hr labour for someone to look at the car or shall i just go ahead and replace the control arms?

After tie rods, control arms, balance and alignment can it be anything else? Surely thats all the things that cause this covered?
Appreciate 0