E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > got pulled over... help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
DEVN335
gotta pay to play
DEVN335's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 335 sold tiag E90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hp/south gate/LA/downey/whittier

iTrader: (6)

got pulled over... help

I got pulled over on 4/20 for "unsafe turning movement"

I was stuck in back of a slow driver and I had switched lanes to the left of me and another slow driver was in that lane as well so I switch back to the same lane but in front of the first slow driver. pulled up to a red light a few hundred feet down and a cop pulls next to me and I already knew he was going to pull me over.

he pulls me over and as soon as he walks up to my car he asks if I have been smoking or if I have been drinking. I told him no I haven't been smoking or drinking and that I had just left my house to go bowling with my girlfriend (which she was in the car with me).

the ticket says "unsafe turning movement" wth!?
I wasn't speeding, on the ticket he said I was doing 40mph in a 35mph.

what should I do? fight it?
I've seen that people post threads on how the got pulled over, faught it, n won
but they hired someone or something. any suggestions????
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Keepsitlegit
Private First Class
Keepsitlegit's Avatar
1
Rep
196
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Did you signal each time you switched lanes?
If the answer is yes, fight it. Plus you have a witness with you to testify.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
DEVN335
gotta pay to play
DEVN335's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 335 sold tiag E90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hp/south gate/LA/downey/whittier

iTrader: (6)

im pretty sure I did, he didn't say I didnt or anything...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Was it a motorcycle cop?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
chaFT328i
Private First Class
chaFT328i's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: e90 07 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SoCal 626

iTrader: (2)

What did he put down for the cvc violation?? I wouldn't mind the '40 on a 35' part as he didn't put it down as a speeding violation(unless you happened to be doing 40 while turning).

Best way to fight it is have your girlfriend write a testimony in your favor and simply argue against whatever the violation is as per the cvc(ie I had fully stopped for the red light and waited for the traffic to clear before safely turning; with a more extensive story). Also, if you don't want to go to court, request to do a TBD(Trial By Declaration). It also helps to do a TBD because the officer isnt going to want to waste his time with something he isn't paid to do(1/2 pay when they go to court).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
casmako
Private First Class
1
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dana Point

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVN335 View Post
I told him no I haven't been smoking or drinking and that I had just left my house to go bowling with my girlfriend (which she was in the car with me).
You were smoking though right?


If not you should have been given a ticket for disgracing a national holiday
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
DEVN335
gotta pay to play
DEVN335's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 335 sold tiag E90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hp/south gate/LA/downey/whittier

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmako View Post
You were smoking though right?


If not you should have been given a ticket for disgracing a national holiday
I was meeting up with a couple friends to do a little cosmic bowling with my girl n to meet up with my friends, but haven't since I was on my way. I don't like to smell up my car. lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
DEVN335
gotta pay to play
DEVN335's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 335 sold tiag E90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hp/south gate/LA/downey/whittier

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_LA View Post
Was it a motorcycle cop?
nope, it was a cop car. he called back up as welllol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
///M297
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E91 Ti Silver 325ixt 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Once the cop shown up in court, you're done, the judge will side with the cop, not much you can do.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
DEVN335
gotta pay to play
DEVN335's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 335 sold tiag E90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hp/south gate/LA/downey/whittier

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaFT328i View Post
What did he put down for the cvc violation?? I wouldn't mind the '40 on a 35' part as he didn't put it down as a speeding violation(unless you happened to be doing 40 while turning).

Best way to fight it is have your girlfriend write a testimony in your favor and simply argue against whatever the violation is as per the cvc(ie I had fully stopped for the red light and waited for the traffic to clear before safely turning; with a more extensive story). Also, if you don't want to go to court, request to do a TBD(Trial By Declaration). It also helps to do a TBD because the officer isnt going to want to waste his time with something he isn't paid to do(1/2 pay when they go to court).
the violation code is 22107 it isn't correctable. I wasn't going to fast, I just kinda weaved through the lane because I was stuck in back of a car.

im going to look into fighting it but I for sure will do the TBD.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
mr_milo
Captain
mr_milo's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

After reading the vehicle code it sounds like the cop is say you cut off the slow driver you changed lanes in front of. The vehicle code can be found here.

It reads:
"Turning Movements and Required Signals

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

Amended Ch. 1996, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.
"

I bet he's claiming the "in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement" part.

That's going to be a hard one to fight because *IF* the driver hit his brakes after you changed lanes in front of him, you technically *affected* his movement.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
casmako
Private First Class
1
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dana Point

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVN335 View Post
I was meeting up with a couple friends to do a little cosmic bowling with my girl n to meet up with my friends, but haven't since I was on my way. I don't like to smell up my car. lol
MFLB!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

I hate cali cops.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I hate cali cops.
or all cops at that...

OP... Ive fought a cop car and won thru TBD. Ive heard that if its a motorcycle cop its useless to fight it because there out there strictly for moving violations. Since you got rolled on by a car, possibility of winning is on your side.

Good Luck man!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_LA View Post
or all cops at that...

OP... Ive fought a cop car and won thru TBD. Ive heard that if its a motorcycle cop its useless to fight it because there out there strictly for moving violations. Since you got rolled on by a car, possibility of winning is on your side.

Good Luck man!
Ive never gotten a ticket in my life until I moved to Los Angeles.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Ive never gotten a ticket in my life until I moved to Los Angeles.
that sucks... but hey, gotta admit Sunny SoCal is well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_LA View Post
that sucks... but hey, gotta admit Sunny SoCal is well worth it!
Newport Beach is by far the favorite place Ive lived and I have lived in a lot of states and cities.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
NH335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
305
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
There is a ticket specifically for changing lanes without signaling. So he must be going in a different direction with this one
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
niners
Private
niners's Avatar
0
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Over the past 4 years I've contested 2 tickets and won both times. First one was for not wearing a seat belt. My car's seatbelt at the time broke and I was in the process of fixing it(was laggin it I will admit that). When I paid the fine I requested a ticket by written declaration. Sent in my statement the when the deadline was up for the cop to send in his statement I called the court and asked what the ruling was. They said the cop never sent in his statement and so I won. Second time I got pulled over for doing 86 on a 55. Went to court and plead not guilty. Went back to court for my court date and the cop didn't show up, immediately my case got dismissed.

Basically if the cop shows up to court or sends in a statement if you do TBD, you're screwed. When I was in court every case that went ahead of mine that the cop was there, the judge ruled in favor of the cop. No matter what the defense was. There was even one dude there that brought a lawyer, still was found guilty.

I've heard that some judges will deny you the option of traffic school if you fight the ticket. I specifically asked the court teller about this and she told me it was up to the judge if he wants to offer you traffic school or not after you get found guilty. The judge in my county offered traffic school as an option to every case that went ahead of mine and got found guilty.

Hope that helps, I would definitely fight it. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Bullet
Major
Bullet's Avatar
16
Rep
1,059
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M297 View Post
Once the cop shown up in court, you're done, the judge will side with the cop, not much you can do.
This isnt true. I have fought three speeding tickets each time the officer had shown up. I had hired a lawyer and he helped work out a deal with the officer/the court so i paid my fines but i did not get any points on my record. The key is to have a lawyer. I no few people who fought a ticket by themselves and won.
__________________
Cobb // Helix // BMS //
E9X Picture game: 1
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
niners
Private
niners's Avatar
0
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
This isnt true. I have fought three speeding tickets each time the officer had shown up. I had hired a lawyer and he helped work out a deal with the officer/the court so i paid my fines but i did not get any points on my record. The key is to have a lawyer. I no few people who fought a ticket by themselves and won.
Did this "deal" involve you completing some type of traffic school?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #22
Bullet
Major
Bullet's Avatar
16
Rep
1,059
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So cal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners View Post
Did this "deal" involve you completing some type of traffic school?
It did not, i only fought the ticket because traffic school was not an option for me at the time.
__________________
Cobb // Helix // BMS //
E9X Picture game: 1
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST