E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > tradin in my car! advice!

11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
bmw246
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335i (e93)

tradin in my car! advice!

tradin in my e93 2011 for an x6, my sales guy said march is the best month to trade in a vert, i want to order the x6 (not sure bout 35i or 50i, prob 35i cause of gas). theirs a 3500 incentive now plus 750 loyalty cash though, is march really a better month?
bmw246 is offline   United_States
      11-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
josephr25
Major

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Sounds like trading it in in March is more beneficial for him. I would take the incentives BMW is offering now.
      11-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
ndog14
Banned

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Ignoring the $750 loyalty cash, I don't think there will be $3500 difference in trade-in valve of now and March.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
      11-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
bmw246
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335i (e93)

i mean, i would prefer to keep my car till march cus it gives me a few months to save and i will get a few thousand more on trade and i barley put any miles on however im just worried that their will be no incentives, does anyone know how often bmw runs incentives? or how much you could get off a new bmw with no incentives? any advice on that? thanks for all the help
bmw246 is offline   United_States
      11-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Martin528
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 528

Do it it now. If you wait that is just 4 more moths of depreciation on your car.
      11-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
efdiesel3s
Halle Berry or Hallelujah

Drives: '11 335d, '93 fd3s, '90 e30 m3

Honestly trading in cars is the biggest rip off. It's like going to a pawn shop and they offer you like half value cause they have to make money on it. If you don't have time to try sell it on the forum or autotrader, go to carmax. We did that with our e39, e46, and e53 and got way more than the dealer would offer for trade in.

Next join BMWCCA because they give you a $1500 new or cpo vehicle rebate. I bought my car through Costco and you'll definitely save alot and not have to go through the haggling process. You contact costco and they'll put you in touch with someone at a BMW dealership you can work with. Costco has their own price sheets which are under msrp. If your going to go through the order process I'd search for the price sheet pdf and order it with only the options you want. I opted for no navi and saved 2k off my order.

Last edited by efdiesel3s; 11-16-2012 at 06:08 PM.
efdiesel3s is offline   Netherlands
      11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
MattMD
E9X > F3X

Drives: E90 328i

Go to some used car dealers and see what they'll give you for your car.

Mods - Stock for now

Dream Car - Mineral White E92 M3 DCT, Ferrari 458 (someday )
MattMD is offline   United_States
      11-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Martin528
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 528

You do not get any money from BMW CCA unless you have been a continuous member for at least 1yr prior to purchase. It is not a flat 1500 on any BMW or CPO. Most often substantially less.
      11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
gpb
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by efdiesel3s View Post
Honestly trading in cars is the biggest rip off. It's like going to a pawn shop and they offer you like half value cause they have to make money on it. If you don't have time to try sell it on the forum or autotrader, go to carmax. We did that with our e39, e46, and e53 and got way more than the dealer would offer for trade in.
Really depends on the car and the dealer. If trading an car the dealer won't sell themselves or transfer to another lot under the same company ownership, then they'll offer less of course. With an old car of little value, then their offer could well be half the "value" as they'd just send it to auction. Situation can be very different for a desirable reasonably late model car they'll just clean up and put on their side lot. My point being you can't generalize all situations.

In any event don't be short sighted about the tax implications, they can be significant depending on your state and the value of your trade.

See my post here for further thoughts: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=10
      11-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

There is no "best month" to trade-in a car. You get ra**** every time. It's common sense--they are looking to make a profit on your trade, and your purchase. It's called double-dipping with you bending over. Today is the worst time to buy a car. The prices are through the roof--50k for a 4 cyl. No thanks is what a sensible person would say--hang on to what you have. You don't buy a house when the market has peaked, why would you buy a car under the same?
      11-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
m@rco
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by efdiesel3s View Post

Next join BMWCCA because they give you a $1500 new or cpo vehicle rebate. I bought my car through Costco and you'll definitely save alot and not have to go through the haggling process. You contact costco and they'll put you in touch with someone at a BMW dealership you can work with. Costco has their own price sheets which are under msrp. If your going to go through the order process I'd search for the price sheet pdf and order it with only the options you want. I opted for no navi and saved 2k off my order.
+1

Any trade is a rip off. Why would the dealer be interested to do business with you? Not because you're such a nice man; he sees dollar signs in his eyes.

Anyway, in my opinion, the best deal you can get on a car sale is towards the end of the month, and better, end of the quarter. Funny enough, the weather also plays a role. If you're out at the dealership on a rainy, windy, cold 30 December, when no one wants to get out there to look for cars, I bet you, you can get a good deal...

I bought mine towards the end of March on a rainy day. Had a good deal through the manager of all the sales managers. My sales manager later showed me a list of the minimum price he could go to... And his manager overruled that...

Good luck!
m@rco is offline   Netherlands
      11-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Alpine3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 328i

First of all the E93 is a hard top convertible, so it doesn't make such a drastic difference what time of the year u trade it in, but, it does make a difference if you trade it in 4 months later. Your value would definitely decrease because your car would be a model year older. Second of all that 3500 credit won't even be available then, so don't wait and go make it happen.
      11-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Quattro Driver

Drives: E90 335d M-Sport LCI

The southern market will buy year round. Have a consignment shop list it for you as they have a broader market or try it yourself on Autotrader. You will get more this way towards your X6.
      11-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
How do you know a salesman is lying? His mouth is moving.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
cbad335 is offline   United_States
      11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
AndyR83
Major

Drives: E92 335i FBO

This probably makes me a jerk, and the type of customer people HATE, but I have found this tactic to be effective in all 3 of my most recent car purchases.

Show up 15 minutes before closing on a Friday. Get a dealer's attention right away so they don't all go home before they take care of you. By the time you sit down and talk numbers, it's probably half an hour past closing time. They just want to get out of there and go home, so they'll probably give you whatever you want just to get you out of there so they can lock up!