E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Considering doing the CIC Retorfit....

08-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
Greyfox
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Considering doing the CIC Retorfit....

I've got a 2007 328xi E91 with Professional Navigation / Bluetooth / Voice Commands / Rear PDC / etc and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do the retrofit.

From reading through the board so far, I'll need....

CIC Unit, CIC monitor and CIC controller (if I don't use the CCC controller) and coding to change VO date. And then codes for activation of certain functions.

I'm not looking for playing DVD's or multimedia, no backup cams. Just updating what I have to something a bit more refined.

Greatly appreciate any assistance.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I've got a 2007 328xi E91 with Professional Navigation / Bluetooth / Voice Commands / Rear PDC / etc and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do the retrofit.

From reading through the board so far, I'll need....

CIC Unit, CIC monitor and CIC controller (if I don't use the CCC controller) and coding to change VO date. And then codes for activation of certain functions.

I'm not looking for playing DVD's or multimedia, no backup cams. Just updating what I have to something a bit more refined.

Greatly appreciate any assistance.
In Addition to what you have listed. You'll need an Emulator to activate the CIC unit (Speech, Nav, etc) and the CID Display Cable . Also, if you choose to go forth with the CIC Controller, you'll need a CIC Center console trim as well.

In all the retrofit will be easy since you already have a iDrive dash installed. - Add a Combox to your install to grab a few features (Bluetooth, USB, Apps etc)
      08-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Greyfox
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
In Addition to what you have listed. You'll need an Emulator to activate the CIC unit (Speech, Nav, etc) and the CID Display Cable . Also, if you choose to go forth with the CIC Controller, you'll need a CIC Center console trim as well.

In all the retrofit will be easy since you already have a iDrive dash installed. - Add a Combox to your install to grab a few features (Bluetooth, USB, Apps etc)
So the existing system that does the CCC Bluetooth is not compatible with the CIC?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the existing system that does the CCC Bluetooth is not compatible with the CIC?
It actually does. But let me clarify, the Combox adds Bluetooth Audio streaming.
      08-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Greyfox
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It actually does. But let me clarify, the Combox adds Bluetooth Audio streaming.
Thanks... but that is not needed.

I'm not looking for any additional features and I probably wouldn't even be considering this except for BMW not updating maps and such. So, just replacing and updating what I have.

What does the emulator do?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
PichaDis11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks... but that is not needed.

I'm not looking for any additional features and I probably wouldn't even be considering this except for BMW not updating maps and such. So, just replacing and updating what I have.

What does the emulator do?
I understand. Depending on the version CiC Unit, You'll need a USB Connector Cable and USB Socket for your Glove box in order to update CIC Maps.

The emulator is the little device that will trick your donor CIC Unit for it to believe it's in the original car. which then activates the Navigation and speech features of the unit.
      08-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
Greyfox
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand. Depending on the version CiC Unit, You'll need a USB Connector Cable and USB Socket for your Glove box in order to update CIC Maps.

The emulator is the little device that will trick your donor CIC Unit for it to believe it's in the original car. which then activates the Navigation and speech features of the unit.
Another question.... why do some CIC units appear to have 2 connectors on the back (pink and tan) while others have 3 (pink, tan and orange) ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
PichaDis11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Quote:

Another question.... why do some CIC units appear to have 2 connectors on the back (pink and tan) while others have 3 (pink, tan and orange) ?
Not much word on that. They are the first versions of the CIC units. It's believed that the orange ports were used for diagnostics.
      09-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
xyzed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

Quote:
Not much word on that. They are the first versions of the CIC units. It's believed that the orange ports were used for diagnostics.
I researched this and in 2010 the intent was for that third connector to be used for" future expansion" I was recently informed that it was discontinued. If you notice on the sites offering CIC's the later dated ones have it/. Personally I would not invest my money on a CIC with it, because, for the simple fact that it is an antiquated unit. Invest wisely. Or as the Dos Equis Man says "Stay Thirsty My Friend"
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

any suggestions for an emulator, and i also read in this post you need to rewire the power connector (is this true) and add HD screen connector #61119185171.

This is the original thread i got my information from however i see more recent emulators do not require you to swap out pins in the square connecter rather they just plug in to the old one and plug into new CIC unit.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780402

So in total, in addition to CIC Screen, CIC Unit & CIC Controller, you would need

Emulator
HD screen connector #61119185171
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #11
Sensible_
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

CIC does not require an emulator. I suggest you google 'CIC script activation' before buying an emulator.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
Klooney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
CIC does not require an emulator. I suggest you google 'CIC script activation' before buying an emulator.
This only works if you have the VIN of the donor car the CIC came out of correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
So basically if you have the donor vin you can code the CIC unit and do not require an emulator?

And is it necessary to do the screen and controller, basically do you have to do it all at once?

Can you do the head unit first by itself?
Appreciate 0