E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Transferring music to i-Drive hard drive

11-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Transferring music to i-Drive hard drive

Hi all,

I just picked up my 2011 335xi and like it (for now). Def a few quirks upsetting me (no nav unlock code so far, a headlight is burned out or not working off the lot, it was a custom build, but those are hopefully quickly curable).

One thing I can't figure out is I have a good old 1gb USB pen drive that works in the center console. Plays the music stored on it without a hitch. When I try to record to the drive (unprotected mp3s), it says that I need to use the glove compartment USB. Therefore, I plug it in there, and after it lights up for a second or two, it stops lighting up and does nothing, as if it doesn't read the stick. Is that really the case or where do I go to start storing the music on the drive since the multimedia option no longer shows anything plugged into USB and the manual says nothing? Thanks for any help in figuring this out...I hope this isn't another 'quirk' to add to my list of nags, I really am excited about this car and hope all goes well
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet movie theater

Garage List
2009 328i  [3.17]
I have had a painful time myself in figuring out how this works properly.
Here is the process I went through.

Turn car off.
Plug usb drive into glove box. (wait a few seconds)
turn car on.

At that point, it was able to read the usb drive. I have had problems where it wont read some drives. So I would suggest you try different usb drives.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
wrickem
finds things funny
Rep
Drives: what he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam View Post
I have had a painful time myself in figuring out how this works properly.
Here is the process I went through.

Turn car off.
Plug usb drive into glove box. (wait a few seconds)
turn car on.

At that point, it was able to read the usb drive. I have had problems where it wont read some drives. So I would suggest you try different usb drives.
That was the same thing I had on my '11. One usb drive worked, 2 didn't.

And OP, don't feel bad about your navi not working. For some reason, mine is trying to get me lost. My '07 always was on the money, but today it didn't even know where the train station was, and then it tried to make me make a left hand turn where it's "no left", you need a jughandle. My old one knew exactly how to get me there.
      11-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep

Will try those suggestions and check back...wrickem, thanks for making me even more excited about my car, hope this doesn't end up being the case, with a faulty nav
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep

By the way, anyone know the usable Hard Drive space? I have 7.3gb of music, if I put them on a 16gb stick and start downloading, any chance I'll get an error halfway through? I thought I read some where that it was between 8-12gb, so can anyone confirm? I have a 2011 335xi w/ iDrive as noted above. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadyDizzle View Post
By the way, anyone know the usable Hard Drive space? I have 7.3gb of music, if I put them on a 16gb stick and start downloading, any chance I'll get an error halfway through? I thought I read some where that it was between 8-12gb, so can anyone confirm? I have a 2011 335xi w/ iDrive as noted above. Thanks!
7.3 GB should fit in the hard drive. I cannot confirm if the 2011 models have anything greater than 12GB. I know that stock drives are usually 80GB and they leave 8-12GB of free space for music.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep

Thanks. All worked well. I noticed though that album art does not show up on the Music Collection songs, only on the songs while they are still on the USB stick. That's a total bummer. Makes me think I should just buy a USB stick and leave it in the car, that way I can easily update it when necessary and at least get all the album art. Is this really the case with the Music Collection or am I missing something (that will show me album art)?

By the way, is there a way to create playlists while in the Music Collection or to delete individual songs from the music collection without having to find them in the USB1 folder view? This makes me think my 2008 CTS was far superior compared to the Music Collection implementation but maybe the features are there and they just don't detail them in the manual, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Doctor T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E90 LCI M-Sport N55 RWD 6MT

Quote:
Thanks. All worked well. I noticed though that album art does not show up on the Music Collection songs, only on the songs while they are still on the USB stick. That's a total bummer. Makes me think I should just buy a USB stick and leave it in the car, that way I can easily update it when necessary and at least get all the album art. Is this really the case with the Music Collection or am I missing something (that will show me album art)?
I was also wondering the same thing - seems kinda lame.
      11-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [3.17]
Quote:

By the way, is there a way to create playlists while in the Music Collection or to delete individual songs from the music collection without having to find them in the USB1 folder view? This makes me think my 2008 CTS was far superior compared to the Music Collection implementation but maybe the features are there and they just don't detail them in the manual, thanks.
At that rate, you might as well get an iPod and leave it in your car. With the iPod, you can do the whole playlist and delete individual songs.

I have also read that a few people on the forms have gone out and bought a 64GB flash drive and just left it in their car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep

ya i think i may do that, leave a flash drive in my car. I got a zune HD, so until i replace that, dont think I'll go get an ipod since it will be another thing to carry in and out of the car (aside from the phone).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
wrickem
finds things funny
Rep
Drives: what he wants to

Quote:
ya i think i may do that, leave a flash drive in my car. I got a zune HD, so until i replace that, dont think I'll go get an ipod since it will be another thing to carry in and out of the car (aside from the phone).
I just leave my ipod plugged in 24/7 and only take it out when I update it, it makes life so much easier.
      11-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I just leave my ipod plugged in 24/7 and only take it out when I update it, it makes life so much easier.
Ya but I currently also use my zune HD for workouts. I figure if I got an iPod I would also use it for that instead and probably for apps and facetime. I think the iPod may be the way to go but I am just a little bit upset that the music collection falls far short of expectations. Maybe this will be my motivator to get an Apple product, have not been a fan for the longest time, but then again, they've come a long way since my bad experience with them (way before the iPod Classic was called a classic lol).

Now I just hope to find another iPod Touch 4g 32gb deal like Apple did on black friday, think it was like $40 off.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [3.17]
Quote:
Ya but I currently also use my zune HD for workouts. I figure if I got an iPod I would also use it for that instead and probably for apps and facetime. I think the iPod may be the way to go but I am just a little bit upset that the music collection falls far short of expectations. Maybe this will be my motivator to get an Apple product, have not been a fan for the longest time, but then again, they've come a long way since my bad experience with them (way before the iPod Classic was called a classic lol).

Now I just hope to find another iPod Touch 4g 32gb deal like Apple did on black friday, think it was like $40 off.
I use to be in a similar situation. I had the 1st generation Zune. I was disappointed to see that it was not compatible with iDrive (no surprise). I finally caved in and got myself an iPod. I use it for both working out and leaving it in the car for music. However, I HATE, and i cannot iterate this more, iTunes. I dont want bloatware on my computers and that is how I feel about it.

If you dont want to get an iPod, dont. Just stick with getting a large USB flash drive. Leave it plugged into your center console. Make sure when you format it (or if you do format) that it has a FAT partition. A few of mine had NTFS and the iDrive was not able to read it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
FadyDizzle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam View Post
I use to be in a similar situation. I had the 1st generation Zune. I was disappointed to see that it was not compatible with iDrive (no surprise). I finally caved in and got myself an iPod. I use it for both working out and leaving it in the car for music. However, I HATE, and i cannot iterate this more, iTunes. I dont want bloatware on my computers and that is how I feel about it.

If you dont want to get an iPod, dont. Just stick with getting a large USB flash drive. Leave it plugged into your center console. Make sure when you format it (or if you do format) that it has a FAT partition. A few of mine had NTFS and the iDrive was not able to read it.
Thanks ttam. I'm kind of debating it. I don't mind iTunes now (zune software has become as bloated). I downloaded it to get album art for my songs anyway, so its on my computer. I didn't really know that the NTFS wasn't readable on the iDrive, explains maybe part of my initial frustration. I think I may use the apps and facetime too so if I get a good deal (maybe sell my zune too to have a low net cost), I may dive into the Apple ecosystem, hopefully not regretting it (too much). My biggest gripe is their annual update cycle that leaves previous gen users out of luck with no trade-in/upgrade program but that's a whole different topic that I'm sure can be argued both ways endlessly.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
ak1
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 328

I transferred music to my car long time ago and now i can't seem to do it. Does anyone recall if the USB drive needs a special folder called USB1 or something? or can you make any random folder and drop music into it? (e.g. "Rock")
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #16
tom619
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

can I use an external usb powered 512gb hard drive which has all my music on to upload to the idrive's hdd?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #17
GreQonE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

It most probably won't work, but where's the hurt in trying
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #18
mjn77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d LCI Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom619 View Post
can I use an external usb powered 512gb hard drive which has all my music on to upload to the idrive's hdd?
You could, but you've only a fraction of that space available on the i-Drive! I think there is 22gb for music.
      06-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #19
mjn77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d LCI Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
I transferred music to my car long time ago and now i can't seem to do it. Does anyone recall if the USB drive needs a special folder called USB1 or something? or can you make any random folder and drop music into it? (e.g. "Rock")
I found success with my stick formatted in NTFS and all music in one root folder.