E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 6-speaker upgrade: amp question

11-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
dawgcatching
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335i

E90 6-speaker upgrade: amp question

Hi all,

I referenced the older thread on upgrading my speakers and under-seat mid-bass woofers. I have found something that should work off the chart: the Focal 100 CA1 in-door component speakers, and a pair of SSMB8 Kicker 8" small subs/mid bass woofers (please speak up if you think these won't work for some reason, or if I have to do some weird mod I might not be anticipating). I only saw mainly that thread and attached links, please let me know if I am missing anything.

Anyways, my question was regarding the amp: is a good 4-channel going to work well with this setup, or do I need a 6-channel (so that I can bridge to the sub). I don't intend on playing it loud, and most decent 4-channel amps put out 60-75 watts RMS, which seems like plenty for a little 8" mid-bass. The 6-channel isn't that much more, I would be spending an extra $100, but no need if I can get the same performance out of the 4-channel. Looking at a JL XD 400/4.

I am not really a car stereo enthusiast, I just want a clean sounding system, and the stock 6-speaker setup is pretty lousy for such a nice car.

Thanks in advance!
      11-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
djbordie
Private

Drives: 2011 bmw 323i

JL xd 600/6 is your best bet.

you want to drive those under seat's direct to the amp.

so yes, to answer your question bridge with 6.

however im sure there any other configurations, but this is the most popular.

also the xd600/6 is just literally perfect with our 6 speaker setup

also you will have to have the HU recoded to HIFI mode or buy a DSP to clean out the shite over eq'd signal.

there is a lot of DIY step by step on the AUDIO table of contents. Amazing resource.