E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > 5E3F SZL fault

03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
anddiiss
Rep
Drives: E91 320d

5E3F SZL fault

Hi, guys.

Just recently I managed to get my hands on a multi functional steering wheel control buttons, a slip ring and an SZL.
Turns out that there is no such thing as plug and play, and even a slip ring with connector for MF buttons doesn't support them due to missing pins on SZL, that really hurted.

Had to install an SZL without cruise control that I had, just to test the buttons out.

My car, however shows DSC faults now. One of the codes was 5E3F, the other one was 5E50 or something like that. The later was dealt with, but first one persisted.

I read on the internet that DSC has to be re-initalized to accept the new SZL, recoded or smth. I figured this is not done in NCS Expert but Tool32.
Can somebody explain to me how to get that error away? I'm quite new to the BMW coding and still prefer not to dive into things I don't fully understand.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
BimmerGeeks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by anddiiss View Post
Hi, guys.

Just recently I managed to get my hands on a multi functional steering wheel control buttons, a slip ring and an SZL.
Turns out that there is no such thing as plug and play, and even a slip ring with connector for MF buttons doesn't support them due to missing pins on SZL, that really hurted.

Had to install an SZL without cruise control that I had, just to test the buttons out.

My car, however shows DSC faults now. One of the codes was 5E3F, the other one was 5E50 or something like that. The later was dealt with, but first one persisted.

I read on the internet that DSC has to be re-initalized to accept the new SZL, recoded or smth. I figured this is not done in NCS Expert but Tool32.
Can somebody explain to me how to get that error away? I'm quite new to the BMW coding and still prefer not to dive into things I don't fully understand.
Rheingold is the best tool to use for this. Extremely simple.

Pro K+DCAN Cables | ENET Cables | Remote Coding | Software Setup | DME Cloning | Key Replacement | Map Updates | Diagnostics
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
anddiiss
Rep

I've read on the forums Bimmer that you are quite good at coding BMW. Well, the same couldn't be said about me. I've got my K+Dcan cable for quite a while, sometimes using it with INPA, as a computer programmer myself I'm quite familiar with coding etc, well, unfortunately same cannot be said about doing stuff with cars, where there is no place for errors, especially when digging into tool32/winkfp.

About that 5E3F, SZL error. I've not come into a specific answer for this problem. Some say they aligned steering angle sensor, some say they re-coded DSC. You mentioned that using Rheingold could do the trick.

Could you be more specific, as I'm only just starting to grasp the things that are possible. Not asking for a step by step guide as it would be too much, but a direction that would help me to get rid of the error.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
I've read on the forums Bimmer that you are quite good at coding BMW. Well, the same couldn't be said about me. I've got my K+Dcan cable for quite a while, sometimes using it with INPA, as a computer programmer myself I'm quite familiar with coding etc, well, unfortunately same cannot be said about doing stuff with cars, where there is no place for errors, especially when digging into tool32/winkfp.

About that 5E3F, SZL error. I've not come into a specific answer for this problem. Some say they aligned steering angle sensor, some say they re-coded DSC. You mentioned that using Rheingold could do the trick.

Could you be more specific, as I'm only just starting to grasp the things that are possible. Not asking for a step by step guide as it would be too much, but a direction that would help me to get rid of the error.
Being the error could be from lack of initialization, the The clock spring installed wrong or the SZL just being bad. I'd suggest get Rheingold, and scan the car. It will do all the work for you, if something needs to be initialized, synced adjusted etc...it will do it for you.

Basically it corrects the problem as long as the problem doesn't require an actual part needed changed. If it requires something to be coded it will tell you, then you just use NCS to code.

Pro K+DCAN Cables | ENET Cables | Remote Coding | Software Setup | DME Cloning | Key Replacement | Map Updates | Diagnostics
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #5
anddiiss
Rep

As of now I only have access to INPA, NCS, Tool32 and Winkfp.
Is it possible to use Rheingold with the same k+dcan cable I currently have? I might be willing to set it up if that's the case.

INPA basically shows me no errors, only problem is with DSC/SZL. I know for sure that SZL is okay and the slip ring was put on correctly. All of the switches work, so do the buttons.
Attached the error message from INPA bellow. Still, I have no clue what actions should be performed to correct this. Clearing the issue is not an option. Did the alignment of sensor with tool32. Clueless what other actions I could do.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Yes. The same KDCAN will work.

Also, try coding the SZL with expert mode with NCS.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
anddiiss
Rep

You're implying on doing a sg_codieren on DSC ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
You're implying on doing a sg_codieren on DSC ?
No, do you not have an SZL module in your module list?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
anddiiss
Rep

That module is part of DSC module group. This is why I showed a print screen from DSC_87.
It's kinda frustrating. I might as well go with the Rheingold option,.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
That module is part of DSC module group. This is why I showed a print screen from DSC_87.
It's kinda frustrating. I might as well go with the Rheingold option,.
It will narrow it down. Have you tried the calibration options under Inpa-dsc-status & activate?

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

As BimmerGeeks said, use Rheingold for DSC problems. Honestly, it's very simple.

Run a vehicle test, let it diagnose the faults for you by running a test plan and then run the ABL program to recalibrate everything.
Appreciate 1