E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335is DCT S mode

11-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Barny
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335is

335is DCT S mode

Is it possible to keep the transmission in S mode? And what are the differences between M mode and S mode? BTW, I'm not talking about the Sport button.

I can briefly engage S mode when I push the shifter to the left, but as soon as you shift once, it changes to M.

Sorry if it's a noob question, I've already tried searching for the answer. I'm just trying to find out more about my car.

2011 Le Mans Blue 335is
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Rep

Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK

Yes you can drive around all you want in S mode or S mode + the Sport button pushed or not pushed.

However, Once you manually shift it in sport mode it defaults to M mode & stays there till you go back to the normal drive mode.

Regular Drive can be run with or without the Sport button pushed. Sport button pushed in any mode gives firmer shifts & raises the auto shift points.

Pure M mode gives you very firm shifts & Manual control over the shift points. At the track I run in M manual sport button pushed to shift @ 6100RPM instead of the factory WOT auto setting of 7200RPM.

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Barny
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335is

Thank You! Will try it out tomorrow. Knowing this now, I kinda want to redo the past two years.

2011 Le Mans Blue 335is
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Yes you can drive around all you want in S mode or S mode + the Sport button pushed or not pushed.

However, Once you manually shift it in sport mode it defaults to M mode & stays there till you go back to the normal drive mode.

Regular Drive can be run with or without the Sport button pushed. Sport button pushed in any mode gives firmer shifts & raises the auto shift points.

Pure M mode gives you very firm shifts & Manual control over the shift points. At the track I run in M manual sport button pushed to shift @ 6100RPM instead of the factory WOT auto setting of 7200RPM.
What he said! I found out last year that I had DS mode ahha, I used to either use D or M! DS is pretty cool though!
      11-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
busta7777
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: RB N54 335iS

Send a message via AIM to busta7777 Send a message via Yahoo to busta7777
you can keep it on s mode as long as u want
just wastes more gas since its higher rpm
m an s mode
s mode is auto sport
m would be shifting it up an down
i prefer m i drive it since day 1 like that unless traffic
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
cookiesowns
;)
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 535i @ 12psi, BRZ Series.Blue

Send a message via AIM to cookiesowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny View Post
Is it possible to keep the transmission in S mode? And what are the differences between M mode and S mode? BTW, I'm not talking about the Sport button.

I can briefly engage S mode when I push the shifter to the left, but as soon as you shift once, it changes to M.

Sorry if it's a noob question, I've already tried searching for the answer. I'm just trying to find out more about my car.
Since you have the IS, you actually have a few more modes than just the 3. On the SAT on E60s ( Sport Auto ) you can have just the drivetrain "sport" mode all the time, in Auto, D/S, and Manual! You get faster shifts, throttle blipping on downshift, better throttle response, lighter steering and stiffer anti-roll bars on the E60.

On the E9x IS I believe you get better throttle response, overboost ( more torque ), and throttle blipping.

So instead of going in D/S to merge onto the high way, I generally just use the actual sport button, as it stiffens up the chassis.

My two cents
Appreciate 0