E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > OEM Amp connector on E9X with Hifi audio system



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
haugejan
New Member
3
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E61 525
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

OEM Amp connector on E9X with Hifi audio system

Iím going to do an upgrade on an E91 with the Hifi (Not pro/logic7) audio system. Anyone know if there is a connector that can be used for the OEM amp wiring? Itís the AMP side for this connector, so e doesnít need to cut anything in the original wiring.



Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Coming soon...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Coming soon...
Nice! How are you getting it though? Find a way to get it from the source or making your own?


Rich
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
nemith
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
How soon is soon? I just ordered a bunch of molex connectors but if i don't have to use them then all the better.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
You can do what I did: release the individual wires coming in from the head unit, solder .1 inch pin connectors onto your leads going to your amp rca connectors, insert the pin connectors into the wires released from that massive connector and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the connectors. Voila, no cutting OEM wiring harness, and you can always return the OEM wires to their original positions in the connector.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
amlebede
Guest
amlebede's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
612
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amlebede Send a message via Skype™ to amlebede
Tap the channels you are interested in amplifying and then use a PAC LOC converter and wire the RCA to the amp.
http://www.ambientweather.com/ptpactrunkloc.html
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
VP Electricity's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
3,181
Posts

 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlebede View Post
Tap the channels you are interested in amplifying and then use a PAC LOC converter and wire the RCA to the amp.
http://www.ambientweather.com/ptpactrunkloc.html
Or, don't do anything this guy says and put him on "ignore". The disadvantages of using LOCs for HiFi full-range upgrades have been discussed on this board ad infinitum.
__________________
Musicar Northwest - TOP 12 Retailer 2014
OE-Look Enclosures for F30/F80, F32/F82, and more!
Ask about our bolt-in audio upgrades for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlebede View Post
Tap the channels you are interested in amplifying and then use a PAC LOC converter and wire the RCA to the amp.
http://www.ambientweather.com/ptpactrunkloc.html
Right, I forgot that if your amp doesnt accept balanced inputs you have to convert the signals, I used a Matrix line driver from Audio Control. I guess the PAC LOC works too.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
amlebede
Guest
amlebede's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
612
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amlebede Send a message via Skype™ to amlebede
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Right, I forgot that if your amp doesnt accept balanced inputs you have to convert the signals, I used a Matrix line driver from Audio Control. I guess the PAC LOC works too.
You can also use a sound processor to flatten out the frequencies for better sound quality. A lot of people are now using JL CleanSweep. I hear it is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
VP Electricity's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
3,181
Posts

 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Right, I forgot that if your amp doesnt accept balanced inputs you have to convert the signals, I used a Matrix line driver from Audio Control. I guess the PAC LOC works too.
But since the balanced signals are preamp voltage, any LOC just takes your signal-to-noise ratio and shoots it down. Just use a device with true balanced inuts and jettison the LOC.

And since the balanced signals from the HiFi system are flat and unprocessed, using a Clean Sweep on them is less than intelligent.
__________________
Musicar Northwest - TOP 12 Retailer 2014
OE-Look Enclosures for F30/F80, F32/F82, and more!
Ask about our bolt-in audio upgrades for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
amlebede
Guest
amlebede's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
612
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amlebede Send a message via Skype™ to amlebede
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
But since the balanced signals are preamp voltage, any LOC just takes your signal-to-noise ratio and shoots it down. Just use a device with true balanced inuts and jettison the LOC.

And since the balanced signals from the HiFi system are flat and unprocessed, using a Clean Sweep on them is less than intelligent.
I am not certain about this HiFi system but many reduce bass levels at high volumes so midbass speakers wouldn't get damaged. Cleansweep will be able to solve that issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #12
nemith
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlebede View Post
I am not certain about this HiFi system but many reduce bass levels at high volumes so midbass speakers wouldn't get damaged. Cleansweep will be able to solve that issue.
Umm.. uhh.. what you want is a crossover if that is the case. Summing and flattening the EQ curve is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #13
amlebede
Guest
amlebede's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
612
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amlebede Send a message via Skype™ to amlebede
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemith View Post
Umm.. uhh.. what you want is a crossover if that is the case. Summing and flattening the EQ curve is not needed.
Like a 3sixty? right?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Nice! How are you getting it though? Find a way to get it from the source or making your own?


Rich
I'm creating my own... it should be ready by the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I'm creating my own... it should be ready by the end of the year.
Nice!
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
haugejan
New Member
3
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E61 525
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

I'm going to use Alpine PDX-5 and replace the current OEM AMP, so there should be no need for a LOC I think
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
haugejan
New Member
3
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E61 525
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I'm creating my own... it should be ready by the end of the year.
Sounds great!! Is this something that you are going to sell or would you share the partlist so we cound do the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by haugejan View Post
Sounds great!! Is this something that you are going to sell or would you share the partlist so we cound do the same?
It will be sold as a complete harness, for a plug n' play to any balanced-compatible amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlebede View Post
You can also use a sound processor to flatten out the frequencies for better sound quality. A lot of people are now using JL CleanSweep. I hear it is pretty good.
If you have the professional system and take from directly from the head unit output, then the signal is apparently very flat. That is the whole reason for taping into the HU wires leading to the OEM amp. So you don't need to flatten anything. But you do have to deal with the balanced inputs unless your amps are already compatible with this.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #20
john335i
Master of Everything I See
john335i's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
138
Posts

 
Drives: Carbon Black 535xi
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Newmarket

iTrader: (0)

CL-SSI

I was looking to add a sub to my car, ordered/purchased a Clean Sweep but in looking @ the Youtube training it says it needs a full range signal, (I was planning on tapping into the subwoofer output) in order to calibrate, now I wondering if I need to add a CL-SSI to sum all the signals in order to provide the Clean Sweep with a full range to calibrate, does anyone have any experience/advise with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
fdiprete's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to fdiprete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I'm creating my own... it should be ready by the end of the year.
nice one. If I had a time machine I would not have had to cut mine off
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john335i View Post
I was looking to add a sub to my car, ordered/purchased a Clean Sweep but in looking @ the Youtube training it says it needs a full range signal, (I was planning on tapping into the subwoofer output) in order to calibrate, now I wondering if I need to add a CL-SSI to sum all the signals in order to provide the Clean Sweep with a full range to calibrate, does anyone have any experience/advise with this?
The HiFi signal is full range and fairly flat, that's what is being discussed here with this connector.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST