E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ITSA/P Showing CA as Bricked

07-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Wheel Kinetics
Banned
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 M3 & 07 E92 335i

ITSA/P Showing CA as Bricked

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2007 335 E92 for my driver, and it looks like the CA ECU is bricked. At my shop, I have a J2534 pass through with the approve Snap On battery tender. I signed up for ITSA/P, and it tried to "reanimate" the CA but give the error "Global.VehicleCommuncations.EDIABAS.19 - IFH-0009: ECU not connected or not responding."

The original owner claims it stopped working when he had the car coded for auto roll up windows.

I spent a fortune for the J2534, so I'm annoyed to spending more on a coding cable, but it's my understanding that none of the aftermarket coding packages work with a pass through.

So two questions... If ITSA/P says it's bricked, is it? And, if not, will the software packages / custom cable give me a good chance to revive it?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Sensible_
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90

If ISTA is able to communicate with other modules then its bricked. Sorry but you'll need a new module.

Recovery by OBD is not possible as I'd imagine the boot loader is corrupted. It would be an ECU out job and investigation on a bench to repair it. Faster to just order a new module.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Wheel Kinetics
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
If ISTA is able to communicate with other modules then its bricked. Sorry but you'll need a new module.

Recovery by OBD is not possible as I'd imagine the boot loader is corrupted. It would be an ECU out job and investigation on a bench to repair it. Faster to just order a new module.
I feared that post. And agree.

I've gone through the brief coding FAQs for software packages (WinkFP and the like), but none say that they are J2534 (PTT) compatible. Do any of them use the J2534 standard?

Last edited by Wheel Kinetics; 08-01-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
Sensible_
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90

That's because they don't directly use passthru. However BMW EDIABAS supports pass thru!

Download and install latest passthru drivers for BMW-EDIABAS (for example
pttbmw_2.1.0.0.exe).
From start menu run the program "START -> All programs -> BMW PassthruD x.x.x.x ->
PassthruD Configuration".
Select your AVDI interface and set the checkbox about baud 115200.
Copy all files from the folder "\Program Files\BMW AG\PassThruD" to the folder
"\EDIABAS\BIN" except the file "EDIABAS.INI"
Open your "\EDIABAS\BIN\EDIABAS.INI" in “NOTEPAD” and replace the string "Interface
= STD:...." with the string "Interface = STDassthrud".

However, winkfp won't help you. ISTA is telling you EDIABAS can't communicate with the module so you will get exactly the same error winkfp.

As a last resort you should make sure ediabas is updated to latest version. But honestly, I'd get on eBay and buyva new / used replacement module.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
Wheel Kinetics
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
That's because they don't directly use passthru. However BMW EDIABAS supports pass thru!

Download and install latest passthru drivers for BMW-EDIABAS (for example
pttbmw_2.1.0.0.exe).
From start menu run the program "START -> All programs -> BMW PassthruD x.x.x.x ->
PassthruD Configuration".
Select your AVDI interface and set the checkbox about baud 115200.
Copy all files from the folder "\Program Files\BMW AG\PassThruD" to the folder
"\EDIABAS\BIN" except the file "EDIABAS.INI"
Open your "\EDIABAS\BIN\EDIABAS.INI" in €œNOTEPAD€ and replace the string "Interface
= STD:...." with the string "Interface = STDassthrud".

However, winkfp won't help you. ISTA is telling you EDIABAS can't communicate with the module so you will get exactly the same error winkfp.

As a last resort you should make sure ediabas is updated to latest version. But honestly, I'd get on eBay and buyva new / used replacement module.
Thanks for your help. My question about winkfp was general. I know it's not going to help in this situation, sadly. Thank you for your sound advice!

By (U.S.) law, BMW must support passthroughs. If only the aftermarket did too.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Kinetics View Post
Thanks for your help. My question about winkfp was general. I know it's not going to help in this situation, sadly. Thank you for your sound advice!

By (U.S.) law, BMW must support passthroughs. If only the aftermarket did too.
BMW Standard Tools supports approved passthru devices if you are using the latest drivers. They dropped support for generic passthru devices. But units like the CarDAQ and Actia units are supported.

You can use generic devices with an old BMW PTT driver.

Also, it's US Law is require passthru device support for emissions/safety related ECUs only. OEMs are not required to provide support for other ECUs via passthru like the CA module or provide support for not OBDII buses like the MOST bus for entertainment systems.

If you do alot of work on BMW's, consider investing in an original or high quality clone ICOM unit. Then you'll have access to all buses, CAN/MOST/Ethernet, etc.
Appreciate 0