E90Post

ProTUNING Freaks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Can my iDrive software be updated.

02-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 4dr

Can my iDrive software be updated.

I've done some searching but so far have not found the answers I am looking for. I'm pretty sure my iDrive is the cic version but that is as much as I know. I looked up the options my car has and what I found for the nav was this:
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
How can I check my exact version of iDrive and can it be updated? If so is this something I can handle on my own or would it be a job for the dealership? From what I hear they won't do it unless you're having a problem with iDrive to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
NEFARIOUS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi Sedan

Garage List
Send a message via ICQ to NEFARIOUS Send a message via AIM to NEFARIOUS Send a message via Yahoo to NEFARIOUS Send a message via Skype™ to NEFARIOUS
I'd ask you to search deeper, but short answer: Yes. However, that doesn't tell much: Biggest distinction is CCC = dvd-based and takes almost 30 seconds to get directions up the street, and CIC = hard drive-based (no DVD slot) and more intuitive.

How? I'm not 100% sure just yet since it's a bit confusing, but it's something I'll consider once I get a K+ DCAN cable, not to mention it's able to be DIY (much unlike other cars). I tried getting an upgrade through warranty since there was an actual lag issue, but it got shot down and they were asking for $200+. Depending on cable quality, it may be anywhere from 1-4 hours so make sure you have a battery charger handy.

Free bump, and anybody else that knows more may feel free to correct me.
      02-20-2015, 04:00 AM   #3
wildcatcrazy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS
I'd ask you to search deeper, but short answer: Yes. However, that doesn't tell much: Biggest distinction is CCC = dvd-based and takes almost 30 seconds to get directions up the street, and CIC = hard drive-based (no DVD slot) and more intuitive.

How? I'm not 100% sure just yet since it's a bit confusing, but it's something I'll consider once I get a K+ DCAN cable, not to mention it's able to be DIY (much unlike other cars). I tried getting an upgrade through warranty since there was an actual lag issue, but it got shot down and they were asking for $200+. Depending on cable quality, it may be anywhere from 1-4 hours so make sure you have a battery charger handy.

Free bump, and anybody else that knows more may feel free to correct me.
For CIC (or anything on the MOST BUS), you really need to use an icom. If you try over kdcan, you run a high risk of bricking your module, then you'll be stuck buying a new/used one. Even with an icom, update can nearly an hour.

Edit: CIC does have a DVD slot, but doesn't require navigation DVDs.
      02-20-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
NEFARIOUS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Send a message via ICQ to NEFARIOUS Send a message via AIM to NEFARIOUS Send a message via Yahoo to NEFARIOUS Send a message via Skype™ to NEFARIOUS
See, that's why I put the "feel free to correct me" clause... Glad you replied, thanks! Which specific ICOM cable do you recommend then?
      02-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
wildcatcrazy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS
See, that's why I put the "feel free to correct me" clause... Glad you replied, thanks! Which specific ICOM cable do you recommend then?
You need the MOST adapter.
      02-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

I somewhat understand what you guys are saying, but still a bit confused on the matter. Are we talking about updating the nav maps? or the actual iDrive software(if this is even possible)? The cables I should be able to get without any issues, going to need to anyway for future coding mods. As for the battery charger, I have a small one that I've used in the past but I'm not sure if its potent enough to maintain the battery charge up during the process, at the least it would just slow down the discharge rate. That being the case maybe I'd be ok letting it charge to 100% first, then start the process leaving the charger connected.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #7
wildcatcrazy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmJunky
I somewhat understand what you guys are saying, but still a bit confused on the matter. Are we talking about updating the nav maps? or the actual iDrive software(if this is even possible)? The cables I should be able to get without any issues, going to need to anyway for future coding mods. As for the battery charger, I have a small one that I've used in the past but I'm not sure if its potent enough to maintain the battery charge up during the process, at the least it would just slow down the discharge rate. That being the case maybe I'd be ok letting it charge to 100% first, then start the process leaving the charger connected.
For the map update, that's accomplished by using thumb drives and the USB socket in your glove box.

The CIC software should be update over the MOST bus using an icom with MOST adapter along with a "very good" battery tender that can maintain a constant 14.2 volts. Using a regular KDCAN cable and/or without proper voltage can/will brick your CIC.
      02-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Jacek 328
Rep
Drives: 328i convertible

Maps 2015 and iDrive update

I bought a set of 2015 maps from BMW. It was supposed to be a simple; put your DVD disc and update procedure, as told to me by the dealer.
I placed the first of the two discs in the DVD drive and -Nothing. Called the shop, there was a lot of head scratching and discussion as to where the hard drive was and wether I needed the USB disk rather than the discs to update. Long story short, I left the car at the dealer to upgrade the Maps- whichever method worked and update the Bluetooth as well. I asked about updating the iDrive, my car is a 2010 328i Convertible, and was told that an update May disable remote top operation(!). I was confused, told them I did not want to lose any functionality currently available. Just install the maps and Bluetooth.
Well two days later I took the car back from the dealer. They could not update maps or the bluetooth. Big discussion of wether the 'head module' (?) is faulty or they need the trouble shooter from BMW to come in from the factory to check what is the problem...
Has anyone experienced such problem before?
I am dumbfounded at the factory mechanics not being able to service a fairly new vehicle.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
For the map update, that's accomplished by using thumb drives and the USB socket in your glove box.

The CIC software should be update over the MOST bus using an icom with MOST adapter along with a "very good" battery tender that can maintain a constant 14.2 volts. Using a regular KDCAN cable and/or without proper voltage can/will brick your CIC.
Thanks, exactly the answer I was looking for. As far as the software necessary and the update firmware itself do they need to be bought or are they found on the interwebs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek 328 View Post
I bought a set of 2015 maps from BMW. It was supposed to be a simple; put your DVD disc and update procedure, as told to me by the dealer.
I placed the first of the two discs in the DVD drive and -Nothing. Called the shop, there was a lot of head scratching and discussion as to where the hard drive was and wether I needed the USB disk rather than the discs to update. Long story short, I left the car at the dealer to upgrade the Maps- whichever method worked and update the Bluetooth as well. I asked about updating the iDrive, my car is a 2010 328i Convertible, and was told that an update May disable remote top operation(!). I was confused, told them I did not want to lose any functionality currently available. Just install the maps and Bluetooth.
Well two days later I took the car back from the dealer. They could not update maps or the bluetooth. Big discussion of wether the 'head module' (?) is faulty or they need the trouble shooter from BMW to come in from the factory to check what is the problem...
Has anyone experienced such problem before?
I am dumbfounded at the factory mechanics not being able to service a fairly new vehicle.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I hope you didn't have to pay. I can't say I've shared your experience but I'd take it to a different dealership/shop and see what they say. You're best bet is to open a new thread and see if someone can offer more insight.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmJunky View Post
Thanks, exactly the answer I was looking for. As far as the software necessary and the update firmware itself do they need to be bought or are they found on the interwebs?
Got my answer to this. I'm thinking it may just be better to have it professionally done. I don't have a strong enough battery charger to confidently do it myself
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmJunky View Post
Got my answer to this. I'm thinking it may just be better to have it professionally done. I don't have a strong enough battery charger to confidently do it myself
You don't want a battery charger.... You need a power supply (two VERY different things).

Battery charger varies the voltage/amps based on the load of the battery, a power supply supplies a constant volt/amp across the board.

If the voltage in the vehicle drop below ~13V during programming, it'll most likely brick the module and that's bad (like ~$2k+ bad to replace).

Besides, on the CIC, there won't be any future updates as all development has really stopped. So if you spend the $200-300 now to get the entire vehicle updated (all modules) it'll be a one time thing you'll never have to really do again.

A lot cheaper than $500 for the ICOM interface + $400 for a good power supply (I recommend the Schumacher INC-700A) then the software (which you can find hacked version on the web).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
You don't want a battery charger.... You need a power supply (two VERY different things).

Battery charger varies the voltage/amps based on the load of the battery, a power supply supplies a constant volt/amp across the board.

If the voltage in the vehicle drop below ~13V during programming, it'll most likely brick the module and that's bad (like ~$2k+ bad to replace).

Besides, on the CIC, there won't be any future updates as all development has really stopped. So if you spend the $200-300 now to get the entire vehicle updated (all modules) it'll be a one time thing you'll never have to really do again.

A lot cheaper than $500 for the ICOM interface + $400 for a good power supply (I recommend the Schumacher INC-700A) then the software (which you can find hacked version on the web).
Yeah after taking all the information into account I think I will end up just having the dealership do it. The map update I should be able to do alone I'm assuming. Let me ask you one more question, when I go to the dealership what am I going to ask them to do. I don't want to come off as an idiot not knowing what the hell I'm talking about lol. Do I just say I want my iDrive software updated? From what I've heard/read they usually refuse to do this unless you are having a problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
wildcatcrazy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmJunky
Quote:

Yeah after taking all the information into account I think I will end up just having the dealership do it. The map update I should be able to do alone I'm assuming. Let me ask you one more question, when I go to the dealership what am I going to ask them to do. I don't want to come off as an idiot not knowing what the hell I'm talking about lol. Do I just say I want my iDrive software updated? From what I've heard/read they usually refuse to do this unless you are having a problem with it.
Just tell them you want all the modules updated to the latest software.
      02-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much... Depending on your dealership, they should charge you for an hour to two worth of labor. There's no real labor involved other than connecting the vehicle to the computer and waiting for it to complete programming (I'm over-simplifying a bit, but it's not labor intensive).

Some dealerships are hesitant to do it because of the risk of programming failing and damaging a module. If this happens and the programming isn't being done under a TSB by BMW, then it *could* be up to the customer to pay for the replacement of any dead modules.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #15
Jacek 328
Rep

Thanks for your suggestion.
I did not have to pay, waisted two days having the car at the dealer.

I reposted on a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #16
NEFARIOUS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek 328 View Post
Thanks for your suggestion.
I did not have to pay, waisted two days having the car at the dealer.

I reposted on a new thread.
What did you do/say to have them do it for free?
      02-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, pretty much... Depending on your dealership, they should charge you for an hour to two worth of labor. There's no real labor involved other than connecting the vehicle to the computer and waiting for it to complete programming (I'm over-simplifying a bit, but it's not labor intensive).

Some dealerships are hesitant to do it because of the risk of programming failing and damaging a module. If this happens and the programming isn't being done under a TSB by BMW, then it *could* be up to the customer to pay for the replacement of any dead modules.
Duly noted, I will be proceeding with this accordingly. Probably won't actually have it done for another month or 2. Have to take care of a few other things on the car first. Thanks again for all the info guys, I've found this forum very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
What did you do/say to have them do it for free?
Not surprised he didn't have to pay. They wasted his time and accomplished nothing in the end, I would be outraged if they would have tried to charge me anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:06 AM   #18
Jacek 328
Rep

Thats exactly what happened.
Spent two and a half days with the car in the garage, getting different story each day.
First no one knew how to upgrade; USB or disks. Second day uploading with a USB and their computer, which supposedly was crashing and not able in the end to update. They want me to bring the car again for an update attempt again, but I am a bit leery. They are now saying that it is my Head-in unit that is most likely at fault. Haven't quoted me what it would cost to replace.
I may just drop the whole thing and stay with the 2009 maps for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 02:24 AM   #19
NEFARIOUS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Personally, I have the CCC and have the newest map DVD so that's the lesser of my concerns, but I want to fix the issues of the gear shift jolting between certain gears, hopefully, and it'd be nice to have the BMW-skew able to be fixed (which the speedometer needle cannot be programmed with older PROGMAN versions), a static issue with the Bluetooth (I often have to use AUX and hold my phone), and issues with the GPS arrow. I'm not in a position to get a new phone just yet, so the latter 2 would help a lot.

Dealers have even been under fire for not doing it:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94508
      02-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #20
wildcatcrazy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
That's absurd that the dealer had no idea on how to update your maps. If you have CIC, use the USB port in the glove box along with the FSC they generate. If you have CCC, pop the disk in and allow the car 5 min to completely recognize there's an updated map installed.

For the record, do you have CIC or CCC?
      02-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #21
NEFARIOUS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For CCC, it needs sophisticated equipment or a computer with a damn good cable. The map disk doesn't update the firmware; I wish it was that easy.
      02-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #22
Jacek 328
Rep

Quote:
That's absurd that the dealer had no idea on how to update your maps. If you have CIC, use the USB port in the glove box along with the FSC they generate. If you have CCC, pop the disk in and allow the car 5 min to completely recognize there's an updated map installed.

For the record, do you have CIC or CCC?
I have no idea what the -"CCC' or the "CIC" is. Care to explain?
I have a disk player in the dash, and a USB in the glove compartment and one in the armrest console. A hard drive somewhere with a 125000 MB(?) capacity.

Does this explain anything?
Appreciate 0