E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Testing out my new 24-105mm f/4 L IS...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
78
Rep
3,440
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Testing out my new 24-105mm f/4 L IS...

It's amazing how much better my 50D is with this lens mounted on it. I have only had it for a few days, so still getting used to it.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
spacemonkey1112
Captain
spacemonkey1112's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i AW
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 818, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey1112
man.... the 50D was the last good XXD series camera before the 60D became a big rebel hahaha your gt3rs?
__________________
2006 E90 325i | Sports Package | 6MT | 3IM | PE | AA |
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
78
Rep
3,440
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112 View Post
man.... the 50D was the last good XXD series camera before the 60D became a big rebel hahaha your gt3rs?
Completely agree with you. When I first tried out the 60D I had to double check the badge because I thought I grabbed some Rebel camera. Sadly, it was not so...

No, my friend's.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
I have the 50D. I was kicking my self when I saw the 60D. I like the rear adjustable screen. Reading this it makes me good about my 50D .
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
spacemonkey1112
Captain
spacemonkey1112's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i AW
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 818, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
I have the 50D. I was kicking my self when I saw the 60D. I like the rear adjustable screen. Reading this it makes me good about my 50D .
hahaha its all gimmicks with the 60D IMO I use my live view finder only to make sure my color temperatures are correct but other than that, primarily being a photographer, I see no other reason for an articulating screen. I guess its a feature most would use for videography, but still photography ehh I think its useless.
__________________
2006 E90 325i | Sports Package | 6MT | 3IM | PE | AA |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112 View Post
hahaha its all gimmicks with the 60D IMO I use my live view finder only to make sure my color temperatures are correct but other than that, primarily being a photographer, I see no other reason for an articulating screen. I guess its a feature most would use for videography, but still photography ehh I think its useless.
I dont agree But I guess it depends on what use you make out of it.

I have a tilting screen on my NikonD5000 and would love to have it on my other cameras as well. For macro shots when the angle is ackward (i.e. down low or), its not easy to focus with the eye in the viewfinder. Since Macro always require a little manual adjustment to get tack sharp focus, its a must.

Again, I would have liked to have it again when doing moon shots since the lens is pointing up and sometimes to get my viewfinder at eye leve, I have to raise the center column of my tripod, which reduce the tripod's stability and create some vibration.

So yes, Sometimes I would really love to have it on my D800.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
bosstones
Major
48
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: o_0
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suburbia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
when the angle is ackward
Pretty much this. An articulating screen is great if you're shooting from odd positions and/or angles. With one, you're not relegated to using only the standard viewfinder or angle adapter. The articulating screen provides more freedom in that respect. They're come in handy from time to time on my advanced point-and-shoots. That said, not everyone shoots in such manners. For those that don't, there is no need for one.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The 24-105 is a great walk-around lens. It's very sharp, has awesome IS, and covers most FL needs. It basically lived on my camera during our recent UK trip. I swapped out to other lenses only for specific shots, then back to the 24-105.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It's amazing how much better my 50D is with this lens mounted on it. I have only had it for a few days, so still getting used to it.
Great lens, great car.

Did you use Digital Lens Optimizer software to square up that picture? At 28mm I would have expected more geometric distortion on the garage's straight lines and the paving at the edges of the frame. That's incredibly good if it's straight out of the camera.

The 24-105mm is my main lens on my 5D MkIII, but I use DxO Optics Pro to correct for geometric errors, CA, vignetting, etc. DPP has DLO built into it and you can add it into Lightroom. It looks to me like you've already discovered DLO, but, if not, check it out.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
78
Rep
3,440
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Great lens, great car.

Did you use Digital Lens Optimizer software to square up that picture? At 28mm I would have expected more geometric distortion on the garage's straight lines and the paving at the edges of the frame. That's incredibly good if it's straight out of the camera.

The 24-105mm is my main lens on my 5D MkIII, but I use DxO Optics Pro to correct for geometric errors, CA, vignetting, etc. DPP has DLO built into it and you can add it into Lightroom. It looks to me like you've already discovered DLO, but, if not, check it out.
I have not heard of (or used) DLO but it seems worth checking out. The image was not straight out of the camera as I cropped it. This is what it looked like straight out of the camera (just resized it):

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have not heard of (or used) DLO but it seems worth checking out. The image was not straight out of the camera as I cropped it. This is what it looked like straight out of the camera (just resized it):
Ok, that's still pretty good. Cropping does help. The upper right corner is a bit soft, but there's nothing to see at the upper left and the pavement patterns are irregular, so it's hard to see distortion.

Yes, do try one of the DLO programs with that lens. I think you'll be impressed. Of course, DPP has DLO and shipped with your camera. You may need to update to the latest version after installing DPP on your computer.

DPP is very good software, but clunky to use. I use DxO Optics Pro 7.5 because it's intuitive, fast and high performing. (You can test it with a free 30-day trial). Lightroom also has a DLO function.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
This is what it looked like straight out of the camera (just resized it):
Nice job cropping. Definitely better without the truck in the background.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
78
Rep
3,440
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Nice job cropping. Definitely better without the truck in the background.
The only reason why it was in the original picture is because it's mine
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I figured as much. It still would have been a distraction.

Does your friend track that car? (Please say yes.)
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
78
Rep
3,440
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I figured as much. It still would have been a distraction.

Does your friend track that car? (Please say yes.)
He just got it earlier this year, so no...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
He just got it earlier this year, so no...
Alas. Like buying a greyhound as an apartment dog. The thing lives to run. Tell him you'll get some awesome images if he gets it to a track.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
spacemonkey1112
Captain
spacemonkey1112's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
983
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i AW
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 818, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Great lens, great car.

Did you use Digital Lens Optimizer software to square up that picture? At 28mm I would have expected more geometric distortion on the garage's straight lines and the paving at the edges of the frame. That's incredibly good if it's straight out of the camera.

The 24-105mm is my main lens on my 5D MkIII, but I use DxO Optics Pro to correct for geometric errors, CA, vignetting, etc. DPP has DLO built into it and you can add it into Lightroom. It looks to me like you've already discovered DLO, but, if not, check it out.
There is definitely going to be more pull on your FF body than in the 50D, the lines in the garage aren't PERFECTLY straight but its its all good for this purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I dont agree But I guess it depends on what use you make out of it.

I have a tilting screen on my NikonD5000 and would love to have it on my other cameras as well. For macro shots when the angle is ackward (i.e. down low or), its not easy to focus with the eye in the viewfinder. Since Macro always require a little manual adjustment to get tack sharp focus, its a must.

Again, I would have liked to have it again when doing moon shots since the lens is pointing up and sometimes to get my viewfinder at eye leve, I have to raise the center column of my tripod, which reduce the tripod's stability and create some vibration.

So yes, Sometimes I would really love to have it on my D800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Pretty much this. An articulating screen is great if you're shooting from odd positions and/or angles. With one, you're not relegated to using only the standard viewfinder or angle adapter. The articulating screen provides more freedom in that respect. They're come in handy from time to time on my advanced point-and-shoots. That said, not everyone shoots in such manners. For those that don't, there is no need for one.
hahah but that's all part of the grind! sometimes you gotta just put the extra effort in for the picture to just add some extra character into your images. Not everyone will know but you will
__________________
2006 E90 325i | Sports Package | 6MT | 3IM | PE | AA |
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #18
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
9
Rep
244
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It's amazing how much better my 50D is with this lens mounted on it. I have only had it for a few days, so still getting used to it.


Congratulations OP on your new lenses; I hope your enjoying it. I too am thinking about getting the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L. I was wondering if you could let me know how the lenses deals with bokeh because I am very curious. I've heard some people say the bokeh isn't great, so I would love to hear your input.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ibarry92; 10-30-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
surlynkid
Major
surlynkid's Avatar
10
Rep
1,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarry92 View Post
Congratulations OP on your new lenses; I hope your enjoying it. I too am thinking about getting the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L. I was wondering if you could let me know how the lenses deals with bokeh because I am very curious. I've heard some people say the bokeh isn't great, so I would love to hear your input.

Thanks in advance.
if you want better bokeh, go with the 24-70 F2.8L. i have a 24-105, but it is not fast enough for my tastes. it is the slowest lest i own besides my 500mm. of course if you are using it on a 1.6x crop camera, you have wasted the low focal length. i use mine predominately on a 5D2, so i get the full 24mm, but i also have a 16-35 F2.8L, so i prefer that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
surlynkid
Major
surlynkid's Avatar
10
Rep
1,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It's amazing how much better my 50D is with this lens mounted on it. I have only had it for a few days, so still getting used to it.

avoid the harsh mid-day sun, use a circular polarizing filter to prevent the sky from being so blown out, or use photoshop to correct the blown out sky. a late afternoon shoot will really make that beauty pop.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
if you want better bokeh, go with the 24-70 F2.8L. i have a 24-105, but it is not fast enough for my tastes. it is the slowest lest i own besides my 500mm. of course if you are using it on a 1.6x crop camera, you have wasted the low focal length. i use mine predominately on a 5D2, so i get the full 24mm, but i also have a 16-35 F2.8L, so i prefer that.
He cropped down from an even wider view, so no focal length was "wasted" but that reminds me, when using any lens, but particularly a zoom, crop the image fairly tight in the camera so that you maximize the pixels on the subject. This maximizes the print size that you can make.

IMHO, the 24-105mm is plenty fast enough for the 5D MkII or MkIII. I use it for night shooting regularly and the results are fantastic. The IS comes in very handy at slow shutter speeds.

I'm thinking of the 16-35mm for myself. Do you shoot it much out past 24mm? My inclination lately, for scenics, is to shoot a multi-shot panorama when my 24mm isn't wide enough. I guess that I could use the 16mm for interior shots, but that has me leaning toward the 8-15mm.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
Ryebread's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
401
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philaburbia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I've had almost every canon lens. The 24-105 is a great, lightweight lens, excellent on FF body. But I'm addicted to primes. So I only break out the 24-105 for vacations. That IS is fantastic while sitting on the top of a tour bus, while cruising around a new city.

I used to use the 16-35 for car events. 24-105 for whatever. Recently I've shot a ton of portrait sessions. 135L at first. Then 50L. Now 85L. After a few years, I now have my dream lineup, holy trinity of primes 35L 85L 135L, and the two aforementioned zooms.

35L is amazing for low light, hell, NO light.... Handheld too.

Since using the primes, my creativity, IQ, and bokeh have improved a good bit. So much that I haven't used the 16-35 much at all.

Cheers to my Canon and BMW brethren.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST