E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DTC /DSC off

11-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
shortseller
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

DTC /DSC off

So with DTC and DSC disengaged(what I call off) I find the car responds quicker giving me noticeably better throttle response. Of course care has to be taken from a dead start or around corners not to lose the back end.

So I'm curious as to how many of us run daily with these systems off, either just the DTC or the combo of both?

I find myself more and more running with these systems off!
Am I alone here?

Last edited by shortseller; 11-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
shortseller is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
iturbo_bmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i e92

you are not alone. my jb4 turns dtc on and dsc off everytime i start the car. Dtc is more than enough protection from wheel spin for me on the daily
2009 335i e92 n54 | Alpine White w/ Coral Red | M Sport | AT w/ Alpina TCU Flash | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS flash| BMS DCI | VRSF DP | ETS 5" FMIC| ER Chargepipe | HKS BOV | TCK SA Coilovers | M3 control arms|
iturbo_bmw is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
maybe im crazy, but with everything off, i think the car is faster? DTC still hold back to much. (DTC on 95% off the time)

I rarely turn dsc off, but i do turn everything off occasionally. If need be
      11-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
I always go to DSC off DTC on. Too much intervention from DSC. Rarely ever turn everything off. I think the last time I had them both off was on the dyno.

DSC:

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) adds to safety by facilitating vehicle control even in adverse driving conditions or on tough surfaces.

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is the nucleus of the chassis control systems in BMW vehicles. It ensures the highest possible levels of stability when driving, and it maximizes traction of all wheels when setting off or accelerating. It is able to detect the first signs of oversteering or understeering and helps keep the vehicle safely on course, even if the tyres have varying levels of grip.

Sophisticated sensors permanently check how the vehicle is driving. Information comes a range of sensors monitoring wheel rotation, steering angle, lateral forces, pressure and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). A simulation model stored in the DSC control unit to ensure stability ("one-/two-track model") and can be compared information coming from the steering wheel and accelerator: if there is too great a difference between the model and how the vehicle is currently travelling, DSC acts to increase stability or traction.
The engine and brake management systems are targeted specifically; xDrive is also included in all-wheel drive vehicles. Reducing or increasing the engine torque or braking individual wheels can improve stability and traction. Active Steeringís integrated yaw regulation system can even help significantly reduce steering effort and the extent of DSCís contribution to stability.

From: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...bility_control

DTC:

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows more wheel slip and thus a more dynamic driving style with higher wheel traction and DSC controlling stability. A small amount of spin on the drive wheels improves traction when pulling off from a standstill in snow or on loose terrain.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.
When the drive wheels start losing traction the DSC automatically begins stabilisation measures. The Dynamic Stability Control system curbs the engine output and stops slip on the wheels. In exceptional situations, however, a small amount of wheel slip can be an advantage.

When driving in deep snow, slush or on loose terrain a small amount of wheel spin improves traction. For these occasions, as well as those when the drivers want a sportier driving style, the DTC can be activated by pressing a button and this allows more slip and reduces the DSCís curbing of the engine. The result: better traction and more thrust.

The DTC also makes driving on snow and ice-free roads more dynamic. When activated, the DTC allows sporty drivers more room to manoeuvre around curves than the Dynamic Stability Control and even permits controlled drifts. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle in every situation and the Dynamic Stability Controlís stabilising measures remain active even when the DTC is activated.

From: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...action_control
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Last edited by scottp999; 11-11-2013 at 02:34 PM.
      11-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
I always go to DSC off DTC on. Too much intervention from DSC. Rarely ever turn everything off. I think the last time I had them both off was on the dyno.
I think you meant DTC off and DSC on...
But I agree, you should rarely ever turn both systems off, unless you really know what you're doing.
nitehawk is offline   Canada
      11-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
shortseller
Captain

Yeah, I can't get to my DSC without first disabling DTC. DTC off with a push of the button but you have to hold it down for about 5 sec to get both disabled.

I agree both off and you really have to keep your head in the game if on a run.

Maybe some tunes can adjust turn off sequence, allowing DSC disabled but DTC on?

Last edited by shortseller; 11-11-2013 at 03:16 PM.
shortseller is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
deathbunny
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335I

I keep them both off almost all the time. Nothing drives me more crazy then pulling out into traffic and having all my power disappear just because there was a little bit of gravel or something on the road. I would not recommend this to everyone but if you are good AND EXPERIENCED at driving a high power RWD vehicle then I don't see a need for that shit to be on all the time.

What did people do for all those years before cars started driving themselves

Last edited by deathbunny; 11-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
      11-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
iturbo_bmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i e92

DSC is always on. When u push the DTC button. DTC turns on and DSC is limited. Hold the button and both turn off. When trying to have some fun I turn both off. If I want a sporty drive and want to take turns without dying I turn DTC on. Actually I always run with DTC on (it's a setting on the jb4) and only turn everything off for fun
2009 335i e92 n54 | Alpine White w/ Coral Red | M Sport | AT w/ Alpina TCU Flash | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS flash| BMS DCI | VRSF DP | ETS 5" FMIC| ER Chargepipe | HKS BOV | TCK SA Coilovers | M3 control arms|
iturbo_bmw is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

DSC did save me once on a slick road with black ice to a point where I started a slide, but was able to get out of it easily. Kept me from kicking the back end out into the car next to me mid-turn.

Kind of swear by it now in anything except perfect weather. I only turn both off in summer, when its dry, and when I'm driving pretty aggressively.
Rule #1 when you own "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Always have $$$ in "The Automatic Teller Machine"
      11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
shortseller
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post
DSC is always on. When u push the DTC button. DTC turns on and DSC is limited. Hold the button and both turn off. When trying to have some fun I turn both off. If I want a sporty drive and want to take turns without dying I turn DTC on. Actually I always run with DTC on (it's a setting on the jb4) and only turn everything off for fun
Always thought both DTC and DSC were on all the time, thanks for the clarification.

As you do...Might try just DTC active and see if I can tell any difference from just that to both off. As for winter time when it hits I always keep everything on, I find I need all the help I can get, 19" suck in snow!