E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > "Greasy" Start Stop Engine Button Syndrome (GSSEBS..!)

11-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Thumbs up "Greasy" Start Stop Engine Button Syndrome (GSSEBS..!)

Hi.
Someone in another thread precisely described the same problem I was suffering - my new-to-me 2008 E91 had a "greasy" looking Start/Stop Engine Button (SSEB!). It looked horrible, and exactly as you would think a "greasy" button would look, although it was as actually very clean of course - as though someone had smeared butter all over it , then wiped it off. The words were fuzzy and there was a big "hot spot" in the middle. Made me cringe every time I had to start it. Or stop it. Hearing someone else had the same problem inspired me to find a solution, as I previously thought it was just me and I'd have to live with it.

In comes Marius76, conveniently selling a pre-LCI SSEB, and I snatched it up and installed it in about 3 minutes today right after it arrived. Took me longer to get the camera than to do the fix. I'd do a DIY, but it was about 12 times easier than I though it'd be: Gently, slowly and ever so lovingly pry the trim up, starting from behind and to the right of the steering wheel, work your way to the right a bit until you can reach behind the SSEB and pop it out. You don't need to remove the entire trim. The SSEB has locking tabs at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions - I just reached behind the trim and did it blind with a gentle pressure to release the tabs and press the button out towards me. Very simple. The power cable just pops off the back of the unit. Easy Peasy. Literally took less than 5 minutes.

Before/After pics attached (the Before was already popped out before I thought of taking a picture...). Hard-to-Impossible to show the the lit effect, but I think you can see what I mean, even with ambient light to take the picture. Driving at night, just imagine the greasy one looking 3x worse than even the pic shows!

Thanks again Marius76 for an excellent packing job to protect the switch on such a long journey to get to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
StealYourFace
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i sport

I love how nerdy we are as a group. job well done!
330i ~ BMW Perf. Susp. ~ M3 Front susp ~ BMW Perf Exhaust ~ 3.38 lsd ~ SF71 Alf CSL reps ~ Pilot Super Sports ~ AA Tune ~ 335is front brakes ~ over 150,000 miles hardly broken in! WTB: e93 M3 Front Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I love how nerdy we are as a group. job well done!
Ha - agreed (and thank you!). My wife has given up - seeing me all excited coming in from the post office, she asked me what came in the mail and I said with a giggle, "My start button!!" To which she replied: <...pause> "oh. ok."

Last edited by BmerMeUp; 11-26-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: because.
Appreciate 0