E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blown slave cylinder after clutch install

11-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
enigma99a
Private

Drives: 335i E92 2009

Blown slave cylinder after clutch install

So I have been very careful so far in my clutch install and put in a new throwout bearing & pilot bearing see image of post install here... http://bit.ly/TnDyM1

Got the slave cylinder in and the pedal fell to the floor... And boom it exploded with slight pressure. Dripping brake fluid all over the place. Never
did open the line so didnt think it would need bleeding.

What went wrong?
      11-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
idnan
Major

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Looks like you put the slave cylinder in at an angle and it didn't engage with the clutch when you pressed the pedal. The push rod in the slave cylinder pops out and fluid pisses out
idnan is offline   England
      11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Looks like you put the slave cylinder in at an angle and it didn't engage with the clutch when you pressed the pedal. The push rod in the slave cylinder pops out and fluid pisses out
Exactly. You missed the release lever with the pushrod on the slave cylinder. It happens. You may be able to push it back together and put the rubber dust seal back on. You'll just have to bleed the clutch. You may be able to get away with topping off the brake fluid reservoir (must be pretty full, at or above the MAX mark) and pumping up the pedal with your hand. You will have to pull the pedal up, wait a second, push down, wait a second, pull up, repeat about 100 times. You will feel the pedal getting firmer if this method is successful.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel

Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Exactly. You missed pumping with your hand. You will have to pull , wait a second, push down, wait a second, pull up, repeat about 100 times. You will feel firmer if this method is successful.
James -

Neil