E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW PPK on Sale $450 on eBay

11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Meh. Go with one of the excellent aftermarket tunes and get nearly 4 times the bang-for-the-buck.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

One of the only things I like about the PPK was the extra cooling and this does not include it. You are better off with a Jb+ and it takes 1 min to install/uninstall and it's half the cost with a little more power too. You would be able to keep your warranty in tact with proper usage and removal. Turbo's rarely go out, so if you are waiting for them to go out on low to stock boost you might be waiting about 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I'm glad how everyone likes to tell other people how to spend money.
I looked at the other tunes. I'm not a "boy racer". A little better throttle response and marginally better performance is what I want. i have read the posts and looked at the chart located here -> http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

So I do know what is available. I piggyback isn't acceptable to me so one of the flashes was the only alternative. I didn't want the headache of flashing and re-flashing just to take my car in for service.

I know you can install and remove the tunes rather quickly. "I'd" rather not deal with the hassle of removing and installing, even if it only take 10 minutes.

Once again, value is subjective. What someone values, someone else may not.
It was a post for those that are interested. If you aren't interested, stop trying to tell me how I'm wasting "MY" money. It is mine after all.

Sheesh.....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
I looked at the other tunes. I'm not a "boy racer". A little better throttle response and marginally better performance is what I want. i have read the posts and looked at the chart located here -> http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

So I do know what is available. I piggyback isn't acceptable to me so one of the flashes was the only alternative. I didn't want the headache of flashing and re-flashing just to take my car in for service.

I know you can install and remove the tunes rather quickly. "I'd" rather not deal with the hassle of removing and installing, even if it only take 10 minutes.

It was a post for those that are interested. If you aren't interested, stop trying to tell me how I'm wasting "MY" money. It is mine after all.

Sheesh.....
No one is trying to make you do anything. Everyone is posting their opinion just like you did. If you don't like different opinions don't post in a forum in the first place.

If value is not "subjective" to you, then you shouldn't be looking on ebay for DEALS. As everyone has said, you are the only person in this forum that finds this to be a DEAL.

Good luck.
      11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
seanarms
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

Sheesh.....
Once you get it installed post a review to let us know what you think.
      11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
WildBee659
Newbee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Comvertible(F83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Just saying there are ALOT of people who still have their warranty and mod their car. Easy to take off mods as like a tune or intake. Spending 450 dollars on something that probably gives your the least amount of hp in the market, when you can get 3-4 times more hp then what your getting just doesnt make sense. Is another 30-40 WHP enough to take some time out and install a proper tune? Cobb takes 10 minutes and is easy as starting your car or changing the time on your clock. Can be uninstalled and practically untraceable. You may not even want the car after another year or 2(which unless you have an 08 or 09, the BMW extended warranty should be over for 07 this year or early next year)

i dont get why you wouldnt want more hp for 500 dollars. With no resale value at that.
Everyone has a reason why they get different tunes and why there are choices. I read about the choices and decided on the PPK. Its easy to install/uninstall an aftermarket tune unless you're a paraplegic like in my case. What happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and break down, and car is towed to the nearest BMW dealership and you are unable to uninstall the tune. I travel a lot and wanted a tune without having to worry about install/uninstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
Wrong, you have an oil cooler. The full PPK gives you added bits you do not have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
This would have been a good deal if the hardware was included. Extra radiator helps with track days
The added cooling in the PPK v.2 is good and needed for track days. So I would have to spend $1200+5 hrs labor ($75-125/hr depending on dealer's rate) for v.2 and then the cost of the aftermarket tune. The more hp you get from a tune the more heat is generated and cooling is needed. Aftermarket intercoolers, fans, radiators, etc...if you want to do it right. So whats cheaper, aftermarket or PPK v.1 for someone who is not going to race his BMW? Sorry, but $450 for the PPK wins.

My 07 Charger is modified, 450rwhp, 575+hp with a shot of NOS, top speed 170+mph (speedo has seen 165). I don't need to spend $$$$ in another go-fast toy. Just my .02c.

Edit: Heck, my wife's 2012 Charger does 170 mph stock.LOL

2016 BMW M4 Convertible(F83).
2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 "SuperBee"
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 (Wife's Car)

Last edited by WildBee659; 11-28-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #29
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
I'm amazed and discouraged by the amount of hatin' going on in this thread. I've seen the pictures of the JB4... lots of wires, pins and ribbon cables. And the time it takes to install/uninstall JB4 keeps magically dropping, from 10 minutes in one post to just 1 minute in a subsequent post.

I'd like to see the one minute JB4 uninstall... How 'bout you shoot an unedited one-take video to prove it?

Like me, the OP in is PRC... that's the People's Republic of California for those of you in the middle of the country that don't have to deal with smog inspections every two years.

Pulling the piggyback every time you go in for service plus every time you have to do a smog inspection? I'll pass on that hassle. I've got more important things to do with my time like working to earn enough money to keep making the payments and keep up the maintenance on a fairly new 335i and do some mild mods too. Oh, and I want some time left over to enjoy life and actually drive the car on some enjoyable roads instead of spending all my time in my garage. Been there done that.

So PPK sofware is a waste of money? Then I guess the 335is is a waste of money too since it uses essentially the same software and produces 320 HP.

Don't get me wrong: I'm totally in favor of you guys that are hard-core hot-rodders and are doing intense tunes, full bolt-on mods, upgraded turbos, burning E85. You guys are the pioneers of what's possible with one of these engines. Revel in the fact that you will always win the drag race against the PPK only guys, but don't hate on those that aren't willing to mod that heavily.

For Sale: 2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Sport / M-Technic / no iDrive / Black Sapphire / Black Dakota Leather, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, 19" VMR VB3, Pilot Super Sport, M3 control arms + tension links (fr) S. California
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTempoLimitN54 View Post
I'm amazed and discouraged by the amount of hatin' going on in this thread. I've seen the pictures of the JB4... lots of wires, pins and ribbon cables. And the time it takes to install/uninstall JB4 keeps magically dropping, from 10 minutes in one post to just 1 minute in a subsequent post.

I'd like to see the one minute JB4 uninstall... How 'bout you shoot an unedited one-take video to prove it?

Like me, the OP in is PRC... that's the People's Republic of California for those of you in the middle of the country that don't have to deal with smog inspections every two years.

Pulling the piggyback every time you go in for service plus every time you have to do a smog inspection? I'll pass on that hassle. I've got more important things to do with my time like working to earn enough money to keep making the payments and keep up the maintenance on a fairly new 335i and do some mild mods too. Oh, and I want some time left over to enjoy life and actually drive the car on some enjoyable roads instead of spending all my time in my garage. Been there done that.

So PPK sofware is a waste of money? Then I guess the 335is is a waste of money too since it uses essentially the same software and produces 320 HP.

Don't get me wrong: I'm totally in favor of you guys that are hard-core hot-rodders and are doing intense tunes, full bolt-on mods, upgraded turbos, burning E85. You guys are the pioneers of what's possible with one of these engines. Revel in the fact that you will always win the drag race against the PPK only guys, but don't hate on those that aren't willing to mod that heavily.
Im the only one who mentioned a 1 minute install, and that was for a JB+ not a JB4... It literally plugs in between the TMAP, it might actually only take 30 seconds

Now, 10 minutes is scrambling to get a JB4 installed but a seasoned verteran can probably do it. I'd personally allow for 20 minutes casually installing it, and non veteran could take 30 or more depending on their skill set. It is only 6 wires but it does take some attention to detail.

I've installed quite a few piggyback tunes in a local meet and parking lot, so it's really not the end of the world if you had to make a "quick run" to a dealer. The latter scenario is few and far between. On a worst case scenario your car breaks down or you blow your motor, you will be waiting atleast 1hr if not up to 3 hrs for a tow truck, that is plenty of time to remove a 20-30 min tune. Last I checked, most dealers are not ready to take you in right way, my last appointment had to be made a good week in advance to get a loaner car. Of course your specific dealer and area will differ. The point is, the notion of how hard it is to take a tune out on the side of the road is very exaggerated. I've had a lot more complex encounters back in the day with other cars, like literally pulling out a supercharger on the side of a highway.

BTW it's not at all necessary to pull a tune for every service, a good rule of thumb is to only a pull a tune for warranty work. In 3 years of ownership of my BMW I only pulled my tune out once.
If you are going in for an oil change, all you need to do is set the tune to map 0. Last thing techs want to do on a typical oil change job is waste their time looking for tunes. As a an ex mechanic the last thing I'm going to do is extra work and not get paid for it. It's ok to be cautious and conservative. However, at the end of the day as enthusiast we like to mention options that have more value in them. A lot of new comers are concerned about their warranty and that is understandable. After talking with people who have had these cars and their experiences with dealers for several years, they can tell you what is important to look out for and what isn't.

As always, any forum information should be taken with a grain of salt, there are still plenty of misconceptions, misunderstanding and misinformation here too. It's the end users responsibility to take information and gather what is most important to them and further their research outside forums, either through personal experience, or through other channels to come up with a solution that fits their needs.

PPK is great for a mild tune, but the real pudding in the PPK is all the cooling benefits, it's not the software. The 335is is also great, it offers DCT, a great feature, but what also makes the 335is better then the 335i is the extra cooling capacity too. The 335is is also the only N54 left nowadays so it's almost a necessity for those wanting the N54 still. That's a subject for a different day though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
One of the only things I like about the PPK was the extra cooling and this does not include it. You are better off with a Jb+ and it takes 1 min to install/uninstall and it's half the cost with a little more power too. You would be able to keep your warranty in tact with proper usage and removal. Turbo's rarely go out, so if you are waiting for them to go out on low to stock boost you might be waiting about 10 years.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 11-29-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Just wanted to update.
There were issues flashing my car at the dealer which means no PPK and a refund.
Ordering a Cobb AP.

I'll post how it goes. Works out to be about the same as the PPK+Install.
Removing the Cobb tune removes the codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Lol
Good job on the Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

PPK stage 1 is worth it - I paid $500 through Tischler. I don't regret it for a minute. And, I do notice a big difference, even now 1 year after install, compared with owning the car for 2 years before install. No problems with either my factory or extended BMW warranty. No problems with my install by a dealer in Canada - BMW sent me a whole new engine computer (couriered from Germany with my VIN encoded) as part of the package. Dealer updated all other s/w for free which fixed a few other things. If you haven't driven it, don't bother to denegrate it.

Last edited by PA66400; 12-12-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #34
jiajesse0923
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 335i

Did I miss the $450 PPK?
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #35
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Yep by about 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #36
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Quote:
Just wanted to update.
There were issues flashing my car at the dealer which means no PPK and a refund.
Ordering a Cobb AP.

I'll post how it goes. Works out to be about the same as the PPK+Install.
Removing the Cobb tune removes the codes.

LOL. This complete 180 on tune has made me laugh
Appreciate 0