E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlight washer nozzle replacement help on E90 LCI

12-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
psubmw
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335i

Headlight washer nozzle replacement help on E90 LCI

Has anyone replaced the headlight washer nozzle on their E90 LCI? Mine must've frozen or something the other day and when it activated, it blew off the painted cover and broke part of the nozzle that holds on the painted cover.

thanks

Last edited by psubmw; 12-08-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
babyfaby
France
Rep

Drives: 330D E92/Z4 E86 3.0SI/320i E30

Hi,

I already changed one of mine as it went away due to high speed use.
It very easy to change.
I've changed piece n3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=61&fg=45
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
psubmw
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, the cover is easy to replace but I need to replace the nozzle that pops up out of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Amatic530
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Hello psuBMW,

This actually happened on my vehicle twice for both sides. Long story short, unfortunately, you cannot purchase just that skinny nozzle piece that comes out and shoots the water to clean your headlights. In my opinion these headlight washer systems on the earlier models of Bimmers were complete crap as they broke very easily. That skinny nozzle piece is actually incased in another tube housing so you’re stuck with purchasing the whole part and cover if you didn’t lose yours or if in my case ran over them. The parts are fairly cheap and can be replaced by you with an extra hand or two. Just have a body shop paint the cover, as it’s already primed when purchased.

Just an FYI, you don’t necessarily have to drop the whole bumper. Depending on which side the nozzle is defective, remove the wheel, it’s housing shields and partially of whichever side of the bumper if you have issues. If I can remember correctly the nozzle is not bolted or screwed on, it’s actually clipped/snapped-in free floating in the air. Just remove the hose line, remove the old nozzle and replace with the new one. After this is all done, intact the bumper securely and whatever shields you removed (I advise you not to put on all the shields nor the wheel after testing). As for your cover, what you will need to do is, when you’re looking through the hole of your bumper, pull the nozzle on the top, which comes out. It may seem your struggling to pull the nozzle out but don’t worry your not going to break anything, just be careful as it does have a kickback to it. In this scenario have a friend hold the nozzle while you quickly snap on the cover.

After all of this is done, test your headlight washer system. Hopefully this information helps you. Sorry for the long response.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
psubmw
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the detailed response. I have been especially concerned about removing the entire bumper as in my experience, it is often a pain to reinstall correctly. Perhaps it is different on these cars but I'm not sure.

I will attempt to replace the headlight washer nozzle through the wheel well. It looks lime it might be tight in there. Is it difficult? Do you have any suggestions for how to unclip the failed washer?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Amatic530
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

If you want to do it right, particularly me as a person, you can just remove bits and pieces but I removed all the shields around the wheel well. If you haven't been under your car recently too its a good time to inspect and just make sure everything is adequately up to par. I actually found a few shields ripped, screw holes torn, etc. because of mechanics at the dealership doing a half ass job and of course wear and tear. It may seem like a simple shield but it serves as a purpose in the long run. It honestly isn't difficult. I see you own a 335i and I own a 328xi but the concept is pretty much the same. When you have your shields off, you'll see the part in plain view. If you do have any room issues just loosen the bumper on which ever side but shouldn't need too. There really isn't any method of unclipping the part as it pops in and out. Trust me, when you look at it you'll understand what I am talking about. But for the most part simple DYI. I would advise to have a friend or two around just to hold a part if you loosened something and don't want to completely remove it. A pair of extra hands is always good.

What year is your BM by any chance and MFG date?

Last edited by Amatic530; 12-08-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: EDIT
Appreciate 0