E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 blown head gasket?

03-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Jurgeenh

Drives: BMW 335xi

N54 blown head gasket?

In the past days i ran my car at tops speed like 250km/h i had never done this before when i stoped on a gas station i notice a lot of vapour coming from under the hood cheked the car and notice that te radiatos hose was disconected and was leaking all the coolant so i conected the hose again and fill w water the radiator and tank, the car was on normal operating temp, drive normally to my home but almost arriving muy temp alarme sets on yellow i cheked on the cluster and the water was at 115 c dive carfully to the nearest gas station and then the alarm sets on red at 132 c inmediately i turn off the car and notice the expansion tank was empty the radieton leaking and the hose disconected again, let the car cool down and call a tow truck, i send my car to my mechanic he is replacing the hose, and on the way changing oil and filters, now my concern its if i blew my head gasket? What do you think guys how hot need for blow a head gasket, i was running my car with 75% coolant 25% water this time, last time my water pump went out and i got the red alarm too and i turned off inmediately the car, and the car runs pefectly once the pump got replaced.
What do you think? I blew my head gasket? How i can know if i blow it?
      03-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

head gasket keeps coolant and combustion gases separate between the surface where the head and block meet.

put your hoses back on, fill that expansion tank, and let the run.

if you get oil in your coolant (floating around in expansion tank), head gasket is likely fucked. start the car with the expansion tank cap off while it is cool. use a flashlight and see what is going on in that tank. if you see bubbles, not good, if you see oil, not good, if you smell combustion exhaust fumes in there, not good.

if you get coolant vapor coming out your exhaust, you can smell it, very sweet sugary smell, then it is likely your head gasket is fucked.

you could also remove spark plugs one at a time and screw a compression gauge in there. that would tell you fast what is going on.

03-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Jurgeenh

Drives: BMW 335xi

How long will be ok let em run with out damaging something?
      03-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport