E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How do I spray paint a plastic part?

12-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
f1madman

Drives: BMW 320d (E90)

How do I spray paint a plastic part?

Hi guys I just bought a washer cover off BMW and it looks already primed:

I've also bought a paint repair kit which includes aerosols for the colour of my car, a clear coat and a primer.

As the part already looks primed I dont need to use the primer right? What does the clear coat do? should I spray that after I spray my colour?

Also I've got a few scratches on my car, could I still use these aerosols to repair them? Primer, Colour, Clear coat - In that order?

Thanks,

Tan
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
I'd go ahead and scuff it with 600 grit wet/dry, prime, scuff, paint. Use windex for your final wipe down and then go over the part with a tack cloth right before spraying (painter's tape if you don't have a tack cloth and don't feel like buying one.)

As for the scratches, there's many ways to do it but really I think that the aerosols probably aren't the right way, you're probably looking at using a toothpick and liquid paint to fill them in, then a nib razor, ultra-fine sandpaper, and polish to finish. I'm handwaving but you can probably find lots of how tos online that are far more detailed if you search.
N8N is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
f1madman

Drives: BMW 320d (E90)

Thanks N8N, I didn't have all those stuff so I went ahead and sprayed it blue and then applied the clear coat, while the part rested on some paper... before clumbsy thumbs me picked it up and then dropped it on its painted surface >_<

I reapplied the paint.. its a bit more bumpy but I'll see if it matches the body once dry lol.
Appreciate 0