E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Drove an IS-F



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
rondocap
Lieutenant
 
rondocap's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 599
iTrader: (1)

Drove an IS-F

I have driven the M3 and C63 prior, but this was my first time driving the IS-F.

Pretty cool car, it was a 2012. The exhaust is awesome - definitely fills the cabin up even with the windows up like a muscle car. 8 speed transmission is a little bit weird, but the car goes strongly.

I was not to enamored with the interior though. If people say BMW interiors are dark and toned down, this was a bit too "bright" with the center console and a few other gaudy touches. Also not feeling the touchscreen after iDrive.

It was a fun drive though, tail was very happy and once again, that exhaust was fantastic.

One thing that this IS-F (And driving an M3) made me further realize about my 335i - as nice as it is, the 335i is just much more sterile and less exciting. The IS-F amd M3 just rumble alive, and you know you are in something special on the first upshift, while the 335i is a bit more cerebral and exalts less emotion. Capable car none the less, but this goes to show you that even if a 335i (And I do dearly enjoy mine) is tuned to be as fast as those other cars - it is missing a bit of that x-factor these car posses that make them more exciting. That's why the IS-F/M3 are considered to be on a higher performance level and not apples to apples, but with prices coming down, they are getting closer value wise.
rondocap is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,810
iTrader: (15)

E90post....where a 335i is described as "sterile."
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
rondocap
Lieutenant
 
rondocap's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 599
iTrader: (1)

rondocap is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
S3RI35
definitely two turbos.
 
S3RI35's Avatar
 
Drives: 09E90 (335i)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,836
iTrader: (4)

ahh boy... you like to stir the waters, no?
__________________
'09 335i /i\ ZSP /|\ CA /i\ Piano Trim /|\ BMW PE /i\ AG M359
CCA Member
S3RI35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

Posts: 564
iTrader: (0)

The N54 is the new Supra motor, just wait until a few more shops start singling these. I don't think it'll be long until we see 800+ out of these IF the enthusiasts can support the aftermarket companies developing kits. Then it's game over for the M3 motor-wise.
DanielGonz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
 
E90_boostjunky's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA, IL

Posts: 1,612
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
The N54 is the new Supra motor, just wait until a few more shops start singling these. I don't think it'll be long until we see 800+ out of these IF the enthusiasts can support the aftermarket companies developing kits. Then it's game over for the M3 motor-wise.
+1 i totally agree on this, cant wait to see it happen
E90_boostjunky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
JDane07
Major
 
JDane07's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Napa, CA

Posts: 1,370
iTrader: (2)

Don't IS-F's have a fake exhaust setup?
__________________
OEM Mtech | Eurotek LM | Performance Exhaust | AA Tune | ST Coilovers | MMW Catless Headers | Euro BavX LS3 | Blacklines | CF diffuser, Performance Spoiler, Front splitters | Other goodies here and there...
Wish List: ESS SUPERCHARGER FTW
Recent Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...NE07+vineyards
JDane07 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
D_o_S
LCI'd
 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

Posts: 808
iTrader: (1)

My friend has an IS-F, I drive a 335i, and let me tell you, there is no way on Earth I would trade my 335i for it. First, the auto sucks, especially when you compare it to the 8spd on the F30. I prefer manual anyway. Second, the interior sucks too, the multimedia system is nowhere near as intuitive as iDrive. Third, the engine bay has bits and bobs here and there, it's nowhere near as tidy as on European cars. There are many other things wrong with it...

If the IS-F was half price of the M3 (i.e. like 20% below 335i price) it might be worth considering. Given the price as is, I just feel like German cars are more perfect than other stuff.
D_o_S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
 
Top_Gear_Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane07 View Post
Don't IS-F's have a fake exhaust setup?
just 2 fake exhaust tips on the bottom of the real ones I think
Top_Gear_Fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
 
Top_Gear_Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
My friend has an IS-F, I drive a 335i, and let me tell you, there is no way on Earth I would trade my 335i for it. First, the auto sucks, especially when you compare it to the 8spd on the F30. I prefer manual anyway. Second, the interior sucks too, the multimedia system is nowhere near as intuitive as iDrive. Third, the engine bay has bits and bobs here and there, it's nowhere near as tidy as on European cars. There are many other things wrong with it...

If the IS-F was half price of the M3 (i.e. like 20% below 335i price) it might be worth considering. Given the price as is, I just feel like German cars are more perfect than other stuff.
If it were half the price of the M3, no way would it even have it's major selling point: 416 horsepower.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the IS-F either, and I love the 3s over the Lexus IS by a lot...but I think you're being a little harsh on the IS-F.
Top_Gear_Fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,465
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
+1 on the 335 feeling quiet sterile. I've driven one recently and I must say they're more of a cruiser until you punch it and its a whole different car. Not saying anything bad heck if I could get a 335 I would, but an ///M is a whole other breed. Sure the 335 can be as fast with some modding but it'll never feel as alive and raw as an M3 or M5 even.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
StevenY.
///M
 
StevenY.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,508
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz
The N54 is the new Supra motor, just wait until a few more shops start singling these. I don't think it'll be long until we see 800+ out of these IF the enthusiasts can support the aftermarket companies developing kits. Then it's game over for the M3 motor-wise.
+1 Completely agree with this.
__________________
10' Space Grey e92 335i
StevenY. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
KwlAznKid
Colonel
 
KwlAznKid's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

Posts: 2,405
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
+1 on the 335 feeling quiet sterile. I've driven one recently and I must say they're more of a cruiser until you punch it and its a whole different car. Not saying anything bad heck if I could get a 335 I would, but an ///M is a whole other breed. Sure the 335 can be as fast with some modding but it'll never feel as alive and raw as an M3 or M5 even.
x2, exactly. now let's wait for the tuned 335i guys with meth to come in and start a war

jk
__________________
BMW E92 328I /BMW E46 M3 /Mercedes Benz W209 CLK500 /BMW E92 335I(sold)/Porsche 996 911 C2(sold)/BMW E46 325CI(totaled)
KwlAznKid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
Revision2
Captain
 
Revision2's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 07 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 718
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [3.64]
I think the OP's main point about a difference between high performance cars and "regular ones" is that there is more to them than just the raw HP that "regular cars" can often match or even surpass. It isn't necessarily something that people can just bolt on to the regular cars to achieve because it's just something inherently built in as part of the design of the car as a whole integrated package. I recall seeing some BMW ///M video explaining how an M car can have up to 80% different parts then their regular siblings. I'm sure a part of the X factor is also the prestige that is typically associated with the ///M and AMG brands (leaving the F brand off cause my intent is not to be flamed haha).
Revision2 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
but with prices coming down, they are getting closer value wise.
you probably wouldn't want pre 2011 IS-F. they made some changes that made it hang with M3.
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
i_Rock
Private First Class
 
i_Rock's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Palm Beach

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
I have driven the M3 and C63 prior, but this was my first time driving the IS-F.

Pretty cool car, it was a 2012. The exhaust is awesome - definitely fills the cabin up even with the windows up like a muscle car. 8 speed transmission is a little bit weird, but the car goes strongly.

I was not to enamored with the interior though. If people say BMW interiors are dark and toned down, this was a bit too "bright" with the center console and a few other gaudy touches. Also not feeling the touchscreen after iDrive.

It was a fun drive though, tail was very happy and once again, that exhaust was fantastic.

One thing that this IS-F (And driving an M3) made me further realize about my 335i - as nice as it is, the 335i is just much more sterile and less exciting. The IS-F amd M3 just rumble alive, and you know you are in something special on the first upshift, while the 335i is a bit more cerebral and exalts less emotion. Capable car none the less, but this goes to show you that even if a 335i (And I do dearly enjoy mine) is tuned to be as fast as those other cars - it is missing a bit of that x-factor these car posses that make them more exciting. That's why the IS-F/M3 are considered to be on a higher performance level and not apples to apples, but with prices coming down, they are getting closer value wise.
iS-F has 2 faces 1. track car, 2. date night.
M3 just POWER and a Track feel.
335 clean with room to grow.

Note: iS-F stock to stock with a M3 top end iS-F will eat the M3 alive.

All 4 exhaust tip work and the lower tips are also use for down forces at high speed.
i_Rock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Spool
******
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (24)

The Lexus will go twice as many miles before it dies than a BMW...

<---- former BWM fanboi and recently converted Toyota/Lexus faith
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
GChase
Captain
 
GChase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Louisville, KY

Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Audi's Bang and Olufsen Sound system
GChase is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
aph335i
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Point, NY

Posts: 268
iTrader: (3)

I don't know about anyone else but I purchased the 335 for the reasons you're all saying it doesn't compare to the M3. It can be as fast as the m3 but ALSO will carry the characteristics of a quiet cruising luxury car. The m3 is honestly bad ass but I don't want a loud rumbling race car 100% of the time. 335s also get better gas mileage. Yet... It's still capable of having the power of a m3 or is-f
aph335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
aph335i
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Point, NY

Posts: 268
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool
The Lexus will go twice as many miles before it dies than a BMW...

&lt;---- former BWM fanboi and recently converted Toyota/Lexus faith
Doubt it.
aph335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
ken1137
Brigadier General
 
ken1137's Avatar
 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 3,679
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
IS-F blah...M3 YES!
__________________

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
aph335i
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Point, NY

Posts: 268
iTrader: (3)

Uhh I think 335i owners are well aware that it doesn't compare to the m3's natural badassness.
aph335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST