E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 vs. Cobb v3

03-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
phillipe23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

JB4 vs. Cobb v3

Whats up guys im looking to either get cobb or a jb4 for my e92.

what're you guys' thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
Chromey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

I've had both and this is a very searched question. Best answer I can give you is as follows...
First thing I bought for my n54 2009 coupe was the cobb v3 and BMS dci. Did stage 1 sport... Noticeable differance as in can't go back to stock feels like the car is broken if you do. Issues I had with the cobb ots aggressive maps was a lot of timing corrections so the car was faster in sport vs agressive. I then bought a ER FMIC charge pipe and n54 DP all,at once. Therefore I went straight to stage 2+ agressive and found timing pulls again so dropped to sport. The car was pulling like never before though. Huge gains over stock. Still I was not happy I couldn't run agressive maps... I then looked into meth as it will help the poor fuel canada has. I came across a jb4 G5 used and had the guy instal it for me. At first the car felt better than the Cobb . Map 5 auto tune pulled to redline it felt like unlike cobb which noticeably fell off after 6k rpm.... I got used to it pretty quick though and noticed after driving for awhile the car got slower and slower as the heat grew etc... So I tried map 2 and for my car it was the best map yet. Car pulled like a freight train to near redline but I felt I wasn't going to do meth anymore and therefore what I was driving was basically it the fastest it would be, So I did some research and I've noticed a change in this forum since I joine a year ago which is the forum was a huge jb4 pro arena but lately cobb has emerged with custom tunes as the way to go. So I sold the jb4 and installed my cobb back and emailed some $$ to wedge and buraQ and we now are working together for a custom tune for me, the first base map they sent was pretty crazy. Tires wouldn't hook up till 3rd gear. Our gas is so bad though I started timing corrections on the last tank but now seems better. The gauge layout is nice too with cobb as I like reading what's happening temps etc. if you just plan on a tune and intake etc jb4 was easy and pulled strong. If you want to perhaps get the most out of your car Then go the custom tune route as they seem to advance in the area every month. The only thing I can't comment on is stacking them together.. Thought about it but it just seemed to get to complicated . the reviews on wedge and PfT with just cobb v3 seemed enough for me. Either way you are gonna love it over stock.. FMIC is a key if your summers are hot at all as the car runs hot and performance is drastically decreased. GL hope that helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #3
Flex68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My first mods will be jb4 , fmic , charge pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 05:12 AM   #4
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Have a look at MHD.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
jazze90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

I would suggest Cobb and a protune from PTF. The AP is a way better device than MHD right now IMHO more features, more stable flashing and way faster to switch maps. They might eventually figure it all out but right now the AP to me is way better. PTF for custom tuning as they're a real professional tuning company licensed by Cobb with well established credibility, amazing tuning skills and customer service second to none. The tuner network is also very large with a Cobb AP so any licensed professional tuner can help get the most out of your car. Plenty of threads also if you search around on custom tuning to pick up on it yourself if you'd like. JB is also great but being a piggyback it has many limitations on its own without a backend flash to help it along.

Last edited by jazze90; 03-13-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
marik_335
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
I've had both and this is a very searched question. Best answer I can give you is as follows...
First thing I bought for my n54 2009 coupe was the cobb v3 and BMS dci. Did stage 1 sport... Noticeable differance as in can't go back to stock feels like the car is broken if you do. Issues I had with the cobb ots aggressive maps was a lot of timing corrections so the car was faster in sport vs agressive. I then bought a ER FMIC charge pipe and n54 DP all,at once. Therefore I went straight to stage 2+ agressive and found timing pulls again so dropped to sport. The car was pulling like never before though. Huge gains over stock. Still I was not happy I couldn't run agressive maps... I then looked into meth as it will help the poor fuel canada has. I came across a jb4 G5 used and had the guy instal it for me. At first the car felt better than the Cobb . Map 5 auto tune pulled to redline it felt like unlike cobb which noticeably fell off after 6k rpm.... I got used to it pretty quick though and noticed after driving for awhile the car got slower and slower as the heat grew etc... So I tried map 2 and for my car it was the best map yet. Car pulled like a freight train to near redline but I felt I wasn't going to do meth anymore and therefore what I was driving was basically it the fastest it would be, So I did some research and I've noticed a change in this forum since I joine a year ago which is the forum was a huge jb4 pro arena but lately cobb has emerged with custom tunes as the way to go. So I sold the jb4 and installed my cobb back and emailed some $$ to wedge and buraQ and we now are working together for a custom tune for me, the first base map they sent was pretty crazy. Tires wouldn't hook up till 3rd gear. Our gas is so bad though I started timing corrections on the last tank but now seems better. The gauge layout is nice too with cobb as I like reading what's happening temps etc. if you just plan on a tune and intake etc jb4 was easy and pulled strong. If you want to perhaps get the most out of your car Then go the custom tune route as they seem to advance in the area every month. The only thing I can't comment on is stacking them together.. Thought about it but it just seemed to get to complicated . the reviews on wedge and PfT with just cobb v3 seemed enough for me. Either way you are gonna love it over stock.. FMIC is a key if your summers are hot at all as the car runs hot and performance is drastically decreased. GL hope that helps a little.
what gas you usually get ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Socket
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i E92  [0.00]
JB4 done
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Infamy
underground
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335 E92

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Jb4>Cobb.
      03-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Alex@PTF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 N54

If you know how to custom tune your car and read logs then either option is a good choice if you have a backend flash in place.

Last edited by Alex@PTF; 03-13-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
mti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I have experience with both... all this happened this year.

My JB4 Experience:

I had jb4 on for originally (still for sale btw) and ever since I had it, the car would go into limp mode in 4th, 5th & 6th gear if I went WOT after say 5-8 seconds. Went FBO and the car never felt faster. Fiddled with the Open loop settings, car would not go into limp mode at first... but subsequently went back doing the same thing. The guys at BMS told me to put the pump flash tune on... which I attempted but it was taking 6 hrs to complete the read and I said fuck it and gave up...

Spoke to the PTF guys and bought the cobb+proTune.

My COBB AP V3 Experience:

Loaded the Stg2+ FMIC Sport map... and the car felt great. I was seeing more boost than I remember seeing in the jb4 logs and I didn't have the same limp mode issues. PTF sent me over a custom tune, and I immediately got limp mode with misfire codes on WOT. So changed all 6 coil packs & plugs since I haven't changed them in like 2 years. Now the car is good... seeing 18/19psi easy. We're still in the process of fine tuning the tune but happy so far.
      03-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
924er
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

I prefer Cobb. Flashes are a lot more advanced than piggybacks. That's just me. Plus the simplicity of installation is cool no need for Dp fix. As for power I don't know which is better but I can tell you the best tune is a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
pobudz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

JB4 Pros: Easy to switch maps (on the fly with car running), no real tuning necessary, additional features above just providing a tune, relatively inexpensive
JB4 Cons: Difficult installation, no real tuning possible, static number of 'maps', no real gauges (takes over oil temp and fuel)

Cobb Pros: Easy to switch maps, Includes up to 6 gauges if you get the AP3 (look up how much AEM gauges cost to see what you are getting... they average $175 per gauge), unlimited maps (assuming you get a pro tune), read and reset codes while driving
Cobb Cons: Have to change tune with car off, double the price not including pro tune (remote tunes are cheap, $200 with PTF), no additional features (such as the gauge cluster reset feature that people think is 'cool').

Depends on what your plans for the car are. If you want to go high horsepower, I'd recommend Cobb as you'll need it for a backend flash anyways. JB4 and Cobb are run together often. Cobb can do some things better than JB4 and vice versa.
IG @pobudz | '08 e92 335i - Motiv 750 w/ PI & AEM! Cobb tuned, rb pcv, tial bov, ER cp, ets 5" fmic, straight piped w/ AR20s, m3 suspension bits (F&R sway, F&R control arms), rogue toe arms, Motiv motor mounts, UUC trans mounts and SSK w/DSSR. H&R sports and Konis, square 18x9.5 Apex ARC-8s. Mfactory 6MT 3.46 LSD, M3 subframe and diff bushings. MOTIV Twin disk. Fuel-IT Stage 3+.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
Supra2k6
Private First Class
Rep

I had both If youre doing basic bolt ons jb4 no questions asked. If youre doing down pipes, rb turbo or plan on going single just get the cobb now. I have the cobb and although its nice you simple flash and put it away. I miss the jb4 controllers.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Alex@PTF
Rep

Drives: E92 N54

Or just get the best of both worlds and get both

Especially now that there is a Passive and Gateway mode
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipe23 View Post

Both really good options. No matter which one you pick, there will be no regrets

Pros of the JB4:
Cheaper
More features ( on the fly map changing, boost limit 1st and 2nd gear , guage hijacking, etc..)
constant support and firmware updates
Controls boost easier and better than a flash tune
you do not need a pro tune to achieve over 18.5 psi boost

Pros of Cobb:
Full ECU flash (controls boost, fuel and ignition)
Smoother power delivery
plugs in the OBD, no need for any hardware install

Power:
Out of the box Jb4 is more aggressive
160w total output AE kits with fan || 80w total output || E90 Pre-LCI (Xenon Headlights)

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 03-13-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
BuraQ
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.09]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipe23 View Post

If any of the above mentioned solicitation rhetoric do not satisfy your hunger for performance let me know. We tune via COBB AP using ATR which comes with its own individual user license to operate and use ATR.

Send us an email if and when your interested: wedgeperformance@gmail.com

See, no fancy talking just straight to the point
      03-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
andydna15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had a jb4 for a long time. Switched over to Cobb with a BuraQ/Wedge pro tune. I'm really glad I made the switch.No hate to jb4 still miss some of the features.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #18
jazze90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

I have to say its really nice to see everyone get along so well at times trying to inform the new member as well as they can. Keep it up and I might just like this community after all! LMAO
      03-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #19
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Use both! BMS now makes it possible to switch between jb4 and your own custom flash on the fly.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29285
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
n54door
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Agreed on all pnts above.

I would only add, from my experience....

Jb4 - drivability suffers. Power is very inconsistent and hard to modulate. Very little peddle can sometimes give to much or to little boost coming out of a stop. WoT runs are different back to back... Sometimes it feels faster, sometimes its slower. It is always frustrating though, as a result.

Cobb - stock feel, only with more power and very easy to modulate. Custom flash tunes that allow you to get every ounce of power, and its always consistent.

MHD- like cobb, in regards to flashing the ecu, but I assume with much better maps included. Still in testing..

Remember, the jb4 is hacking the system, and therefore struggles with making a smooth and consistent delivery of power. A flash tune on the other hand enables the car to use its original hardware, only with much greater power output.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #21
idratherbesurfing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i Lci

I've had both. Started with jb4 now I have Cobb. I'll take Cobb all day everyday. End of story
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

JB4 can manage only a limited set of parameters. I would pick MHD for being able to manage more parameters than either Cobb or JB4. The more control the better.

Last edited by jippii ensio; 03-14-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Appreciate 0