E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel Eye Upgrade: Any reason I shouldn't use these LEDs for my car?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Angel Eye Upgrade: Any reason I shouldn't use these LEDs for my car?

I have a 2006 e90, and I want to replace the angel eyes bulbs with newer style LED bulbs and came across these on ebay. Any reason not to go with them? The price seems right to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-E91-...a794ce&vxp=mtr


Edit:

Finished the install. Pretty happy with them. Especially for $30.

One side done.

LED bulb

non-LED bulb

Finished

Last edited by The1Ash10; 12-01-2012 at 09:21 PM.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
 
VTECaddict's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 4,619
iTrader: (4)

Theres a whole thread on the ebay E90 angel eyes somewhere. They're pretty good for the price, but dont expect them to be super bright or anything.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
VTECaddict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Theres a whole thread on the ebay E90 angel eyes somewhere. They're pretty good for the price, but dont expect them to be super bright or anything.
I don't think I really care if they are. The factory LED angel eyes on the newer models really aren't very bright either. I just hope that they're not junk when I get them. The install process looks like a huge pain.

In any event, I'm sure they will look better than the factory ones.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
gds52
Major
 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Ash10 View Post
I don't think I really care if they are. The factory LED angel eyes on the newer models really aren't very bright either. I just hope that they're not junk when I get them. The install process looks like a huge pain.

In any event, I'm sure they will look better than the factory ones.
Replacement bulb never works that good.
Mark my words, if you want bright white angel eyes, only go for whole ring replacement.
Replacing just the bulb never works good. I replaced my yellow angle eyes bulb with LED bulb. I've seen other famous brand led bulb replacements, trust me nothing works that good.
The replacement white led bulb only looks good from front at some particular angle, thats what all these vendors show in the pictures. dont waste your money on these.
I rest my case.
gds52 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
scanboy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 Montego Blue+Black Int.
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Torrance

Posts: 440
iTrader: (0)

Forget these, bought the same one for the price, didn't last longer than 2 weeks, the heat from those led just killed it. I had to return it. It's a waste of time
scanboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanboy View Post
Forget these, bought the same one for the price, didn't last longer than 2 weeks, the heat from those led just killed it. I had to return it. It's a waste of time
eff.... I already order them... oh well. I'm out $35 and a few hours out of my Saturday. I guess I will replace them with yellow bulbs if they crap out after a few weeks.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Replacement bulb never works that good.
Mark my words, if you want bright white angel eyes, only go for whole ring replacement.
Replacing just the bulb never works good. I replaced my yellow angle eyes bulb with LED bulb. I've seen other famous brand led bulb replacements, trust me nothing works that good.
The replacement white led bulb only looks good from front at some particular angle, thats what all these vendors show in the pictures. dont waste your money on these.
I rest my case.
I didn't notice until I read your post that others replaced the whole ring to the desired effect. Life and learn I guess. It still can't look worse the the factory yellow bulb. I never cared for that look.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,493
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
OP, if these dont work out, a great option is AlpineMSS's HID AE kit. I have it and love it Solid rings when looking at the directly. Much better than stock and only $145, which is a fraction of OSS/LS3, although it doesnt look as nice as those either.
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
gds52
Major
 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,404
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Ash10 View Post
I didn't notice until I read your post that others replaced the whole ring to the desired effect. Life and learn I guess. It still can't look worse the the factory yellow bulb. I never cared for that look.
you already ordered...np man..you were too quick lol.
its just $35..what the heck...i may be wrong..may be this is good product and you get satisfied. dont forget to post the pics when you install these.
gds52 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,572
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Lol because they'll go out in a year...I have a pair hahaha. Right one is out. They're decent looking honestly I liked them while they lasted. But it's time to upgrade either new bulbs or LS3 by BavX
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
you already ordered...np man..you were too quick lol.
its just $35..what the heck...i may be wrong..may be this is good product and you get satisfied. dont forget to post the pics when you install these.
wil do. If they last a year, I'll be happy.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
crashoverride
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: na
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: na

Posts: 202
iTrader: (0)

I'm thinking of picking up a set like those please post your opinion once recieved and installed
crashoverride is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

Posts: 3,083
iTrader: (12)

The ones linked in the OP will not be very bright. Those LED's they use aren't efficient and dont product much light at all. We offer out LUX e90 V5.2 which will be the brightest LED Angel eyes on the market for the pre-lci E90's
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
project335i
Banned
 
Drives: Wide Load
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SAUGA

Posts: 4,507
iTrader: (6)

LUX for the price are not that much better and do not justfiy the huge price difference. Maybe if they were a but more but for over $200 no where near worth it do you research and you will see.

If your going to spend $250 on bulbs you should just upgrade for another $250 to the LS3 or OSS headlights
project335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
The ones linked in the OP will not be very bright. Those LED's they use aren't efficient and dont product much light at all. We offer out LUX e90 V5.2 which will be the brightest LED Angel eyes on the market for the pre-lci E90's
how long are the guaranteed to last? I'm not sure that I care if they are that bright. The ones that come on the new models don't look all that bright.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
LUX for the price are not that much better and do not justfiy the huge price difference. Maybe if they were a but more but for over $200 no where near worth it do you research and you will see.

If your going to spend $250 on bulbs you should just upgrade for another $250 to the LS3 or OSS headlights

That's what I'm thinking. If these don't last, I'll just put OEM bulbs back in.
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philly

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

if you think the LCI angel eyes aren't bright, you will hate the lux (this is coming from someone that has lux too)
Rmk392 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
project335i
Banned
 
Drives: Wide Load
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SAUGA

Posts: 4,507
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk392
if you think the LCI angel eyes aren't bright, you will hate the lux (this is coming from someone that has lux too)
Bingo. Lol
project335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
The1Ash10
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
LUX for the price are not that much better and do not justfiy the huge price difference. Maybe if they were a but more but for over $200 no where near worth it do you research and you will see.

If your going to spend $250 on bulbs you should just upgrade for another $250 to the LS3 or OSS headlights
So you couldn't be more right.

Pics below:
One side done.

LED bulb

non-LED bulb

Finished
The1Ash10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
mashimarho
BMW Genius
 
mashimarho's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

Posts: 9,612
iTrader: (34)

Garage List
You get what you pay for.
__________________

Instragram: Mashimarho
My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
mashimarho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
BOBKUR
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

Posts: 1,346
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk392 View Post
if you think the LCI angel eyes aren't bright, you will hate the lux (this is coming from someone that has lux too)
Is this light brightness thing like the little penis syndrome. Why not equip the car with 1000 watt bulbs.
BOBKUR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,337
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Ash10 View Post
I don't think I really care if they are. The factory LED angel eyes on the newer models really aren't very bright either. I just hope that they're not junk when I get them. The install process looks like a huge pain.

In any event, I'm sure they will look better than the factory ones.
I have cheap LED AE for my pre-lci. after 2 years. they still work like new.

Not bright in the day, but i dont think any LED light will be bright in the day. at night is where they really shine. There is no downfall of installing LED angel rings.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST