E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2AAB & 2A2F Error Code Help - N52 CEL - Solution Updated!

08-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
2AAB & 2A2F Error Code Help - N52 CEL - Solution Updated!

My car posted a CEL last week, finially had a chance to pull the codes and got the following:

2AAB - Variable Intake System - Self diagnosis
2A2F - Mixture control 2

Car feels like it is basically 95%, does seem a little less peppier. Shop who pulled codes thinks it idles a little rough and suggests doing a vacuum leak check. They say it could be my Vanos actuator seal or eccentric sensor seal. Does this sound plausible or could a faulty MAF sensor be the cause of this? I over oiled my performance filter (basically K&N) and saw marks on the sensor. Cleaned it with spray and re-installed.

Aside: Today just before bringing it to the shop the CEL self cleared. Shop was still able to pull the codes though.

Details:
Car has 200k km's, mostly original gaskets minus the VCG when the dealer swapped my rockers.

Update: Turns out it was a simple loose intake boot after the MAF sensor. See below for details.

Update 2: CEL came on again, need to pull the codes and go deeper down the rabbit hole.....

Update 3: So it came down to my main DISA actuator (large one) failing. The seal at the DISA were leaking too thus the lean error code. Apparently the actuator actually failed which would explain the sensation of power loss.

Last edited by Volasko; 12-04-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Try cleaning and swapping the VANOS solenoids.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Try cleaning and swapping the VANOS solenoids.
The car already has new solenoid valves that are less than 20k km's old.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Update:

Smoke test found nothing, technician believes it could be a faulty fuel pump. He says it can't produce enough flow to meet demand at WOT. Spoke to another of my trusted mechanics and he said he has never seen an N52 with a failed fuel pump. He believes it could be a faulty O2 sensor as the error message is only on one bank.

I originally though MAF sensor but, if that wasn't working it should be throwing error codes on both banks. What do people think, does the fuel pump sound plausible?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Update after driving with the CEL for another week I finally made it into the shop. Shop pulled the codes again and found the Mixture control error on BOTH banks, which made sense that my fuel pump might be going. I had them do a fuel pressure test to check. The car was providing 71 psi of fuel pressure which is with-in the required BMW spec of 72.5 psi +/- 2.9 psi. Upon further investigation the mechanic found my intake boot seal loose after the MAF sensor. Turns out my car was pulling air after the MAF sensor means it was sensing less air than it was actually getting. This explains the lean error code. Pretty frustrated the shop that did the smoke test didn't find this but at least my CEL light is gone and I don't need to drop $700 for a new fuel pump!

Edit 2: Scrap that, the CEL just came on again 2 days after it was cleared. Need to pull codes again.

Last edited by Volasko; 10-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Bump for final solution!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
tonyteam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d E60 272hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Update after driving with the CEL for another week I finally made it into the shop. Shop pulled the codes again and found the Mixture control error on BOTH banks, which made sense that my fuel pump might be going. I had them do a fuel pressure test to check. The car was providing 71 psi of fuel pressure which is with-in the required BMW spec of 72.5 psi +/- 2.9 psi. Upon further investigation the mechanic found my intake boot seal loose after the MAF sensor. Turns out my car was pulling air after the MAF sensor means it was sensing less air than it was actually getting. This explains the lean error code. Pretty frustrated the shop that did the smoke test didn't find this but at least my CEL light is gone and I don't need to drop $700 for a new fuel pump!

Edit 2: Scrap that, the CEL just came on again 2 days after it was cleared. Need to pull codes again.
have you got a photo or something like that of this failed seals?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyteam View Post
have you got a photo or something like that of this failed seals?
I should have worded that differently. Not really a failed seal, but more of a poorly installed intake boot that wasn't sealed properly. Letting in air after the MAF sensor.
Appreciate 0