E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Bent Rim



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
montE90 blue
Private First Class
montE90 blue's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (5)

Bent Rim

Bent my front passenger rim (19x8.5 VMR V710) today after hitting a nasty pothole on 50 before the Key Bridge exit. Looks pretty rough, but no noticeable vibration or pulling at speeds under 50 and tire seems ok. Anybody know of a good shop in the Arlington/DC area to get it fixed? I'd rather save some money and not have to replace it, but it may come to that.
__________________
Gunmetal VMR V710 / Hankook Ventus V12 235/35/19, 265/30/19 / KW V1 / Matte Black Grill Inserts / M-Tech Shifter / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
montE90 blue
Private First Class
montE90 blue's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (5)

Attached Images
 
__________________
Gunmetal VMR V710 / Hankook Ventus V12 235/35/19, 265/30/19 / KW V1 / Matte Black Grill Inserts / M-Tech Shifter / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
flip4335's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,835
Posts

 
Drives: like it's rented
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: behind the wheel

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by montE90 blue View Post
Bent my front passenger rim (19x8.5 VMR V710) today after hitting a nasty pothole on 50 before the Key Bridge exit. Looks pretty rough, but no noticeable vibration or pulling at speeds under 50 and tire seems ok. Anybody know of a good shop in the Arlington/DC area to get it fixed? I'd rather save some money and not have to replace it, but it may come to that.
Wouldn't your insurance cover it? My wife jumped a curb crossing 50 from Rossyln to the Iwo Jima memorial and the insurance covered her two bent rims and flat tires. It might be easier to just replace rather than repair, because repairing it might result in a weaker wheel more prone to bending again in the future.

Jus' sayin'

With that said, I saw a mobile wheel repair shop in the metro area where they come to your house or business and repair the wheel on the spot.
__________________

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
montE90 blue
Private First Class
montE90 blue's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (5)

I'm thinking the deductible may be more than the repair/replacement, but need to check on that to be sure.
__________________
Gunmetal VMR V710 / Hankook Ventus V12 235/35/19, 265/30/19 / KW V1 / Matte Black Grill Inserts / M-Tech Shifter / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
10
Rep
776
Posts

 
Drives: Black e90 325i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

I feel you're pain man! How big of a pothole do you say that pothole was? How fast were you going?

I have the exact same wheels and I've been worried to death about bending/scratching these things.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
zacnaud
Second Lieutenant
zacnaud's Avatar
2
Rep
288
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (8)

Id call the state dot and see if they will pay for replacement. I know within cities sometimes you can get them to pay for vehicle damage due to poorly kept roads.
__________________
2008 e93 M3 - Silverstone metallic, DCT, premium package, technology package, cold weather package

2008 335i Sedan - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Spydeputy's Avatar
Germany
49
Rep
3,211
Posts

 
Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harford County, Maryland

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
DOT will laugh at you, asking them to pay anything. Potholes are not negligence for the DOT. If you don't have wheel insurance it's all on you. When you take the tire off the rim take a close look at the side wall INSIDE the tire, and look for any damage. GL.
__________________
2012, E92, 335is, Space Metal Gray, DINAN Stage 2, Helix FMIC, M Sport Pkg, Dbl Spoke 313 Wheels, Gray & Blk Leather, Conv. Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Prem Pkg, 7 Sp DCT, Navigation, Satellite / Harman Kardon Radio.
BMW CCA Member
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
DOT will laugh at you, asking them to pay anything. Potholes are not negligence for the DOT. If you don't have wheel insurance it's all on you. When you take the tire off the rim take a close look at the side wall INSIDE the tire, and look for any damage. GL.
Actually I recently filed a claim with VDOT after hitting a huge lip in the road around the Mega Project area in Tysons that ripped off my carbon fiber front lip spoiler and VDOT is cutting me a check for the cost of the replacement $463. (I made a another post a while back warning people of this area).

There is one sure way your claim will not get paid, don't file.

Therei s a place that repairs bent wheels - Ye Old Wheel Shop http://yeolewheelshop.net/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
bigdaddycane's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Va

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Ye Olde Wheel Shop is really good. They fixed a bent rim on my old M3 and the wheel was so straight (and true) afterwards it did not require a wheel weight!
__________________

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
montE90 blue
Private First Class
montE90 blue's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (5)

Thanks guys. Gonna try to file a claim with VDOT, it's at least worth a shot. Not expecting much, but I'll keep you posted. In the meantime watch out when headed east on 50 where they've chewed up half the road between Courthouse and Rosslyn.
__________________
Gunmetal VMR V710 / Hankook Ventus V12 235/35/19, 265/30/19 / KW V1 / Matte Black Grill Inserts / M-Tech Shifter / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Dennis78
Private
0
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Can also try these guys..

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/montgomery/
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Rich150001
Private
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335I & 09 R6
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arlington (Ballston), Va

iTrader: (0)

I can also vouch for ole ye wheel shop. I have had a high end bent wheel fixed like new there as well from a previous car!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
mannytabloid
757
mannytabloid's Avatar
0
Rep
27
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Keep us updated! I know the exact spot, it's ridiculous what condition they've left that major thoroughfare.
__________________
2007 335i E92

Sapphire Black, Saddle Brown, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, OEM Rear Spoiler, M3 Strut Brace, Meyle HD Tie-Rods, M3 Front Control Arms - Upper and Lower, M-Tech Rear Bumper, Painted Side Reflectors, Alpine HID 5300k Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
egregor
Private
2
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I just got mine done at BMW of Rockville. The contract out wheel straightening/finishing to some guys that do good work. Naturally, you'll pay a ton, but they do it in hours without an appointment and the work is solid. I contacted ye olde wheel shop, and they told me i'd have no wheels for about 2 weeks. That's not ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egregor View Post
I just got mine done at BMW of Rockville. The contract out wheel straightening/finishing to some guys that do good work. Naturally, you'll pay a ton, but they do it in hours without an appointment and the work is solid. I contacted ye olde wheel shop, and they told me i'd have no wheels for about 2 weeks. That's not ok.
My SA told me about this service and he also said it runs about $200 per wheel. What did you pay and how does that compare to what Ye Old Shop charges?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
egregor
Private
2
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
My SA told me about this service and he also said it runs about $200 per wheel. What did you pay and how does that compare to what Ye Old Shop charges?
Dont know about ye olde wheel shop, the wait was a no-go for me by itself. $200 sounds about right. I paid $235 per wheel for straightening plus refinishing & clearcoat.. basically like-new. I'm sure a lot of the price is stealership tax but they did a good job and had them back to me the same day with no appointment.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
five3three
Captain
12
Rep
891
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Actually I recently filed a claim with VDOT after hitting a huge lip in the road around the Mega Project area in Tysons that ripped off my carbon fiber front lip spoiler and VDOT is cutting me a check for the cost of the replacement $463. (I made a another post a while back warning people of this area).
http://yeolewheelshop.net/

Without looking at your other post, I know exactly what section and when that happened and it was ridiculous negligence on their part so I'm not surprised they are paying out for that "lip". The road was dug up and the connecting part was something that I am sure damaged a lot of cars during those few days until it was fixed.

I went through that going at below the speed limit and thought I damaged my suspension and bent my wheels. Luckily I was only out for a new alignment and I didn't bother filing the claim for that. The following days I would slow down to almost 20 mph on the highway just to be able to take that thing painlessly. The most retarded thing I have ever seen on a highway.

For potholes, they have rules such as they need to have been notified of the pothole and not fixed it within a certain number of days of when it was reported so this is generally harder to get approved.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
PSUSMU
Captain
20
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

iTrader: (1)

That section of 50 before the Key Bridge exit is a warzone. Forged wheels FTW.

$200/wheel is not worth a repair. VMRs are hella cheap. Just buy a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
FCobra94
Major
FCobra94's Avatar
16
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Therei s a place that repairs bent wheels - Ye Old Wheel Shop http://yeolewheelshop.net/
This place is legit. They do great work! I have a bent/cracked wheel getting repaired there right now. Judging by the pic in the original post, it should only be about ~$100 to get fixed there.

I have no experience with this shop, but it wouldn't hurt to get a quote from them either since they'll come to YOU:
http://www.wheelsonsite.com/wheelson...ehicle-owners/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Without looking at your other post, I know exactly what section and when that happened and it was ridiculous negligence on their part so I'm not surprised they are paying out for that "lip". The road was dug up and the connecting part was something that I am sure damaged a lot of cars during those few days until it was fixed.

I went through that going at below the speed limit and thought I damaged my suspension and bent my wheels. Luckily I was only out for a new alignment and I didn't bother filing the claim for that. The following days I would slow down to almost 20 mph on the highway just to be able to take that thing painlessly. The most retarded thing I have ever seen on a highway.

For potholes, they have rules such as they need to have been notified of the pothole and not fixed it within a certain number of days of when it was reported so this is generally harder to get approved.
To clarify, I filed the claim with VDOT, they handed it over to the contractor (in this case VA Paving). They reviewed the claim and approved it. Anything under $500 tHey can approve and cut a check for, anything more than that it gets handed over to their insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
Raja Ventureshield
Banned
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
United_States
83
Rep
5,694
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Actually I recently filed a claim with VDOT after hitting a huge lip in the road around the Mega Project area in Tysons that ripped off my carbon fiber front lip spoiler and VDOT is cutting me a check for the cost of the replacement $463. (I made a another post a while back warning people of this area).

There is one sure way your claim will not get paid, don't file.
http://yeolewheelshop.net/

Can you PM me the details for VDOT filing?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST