E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MotorTrend 335i vs C350 vs ATS

12-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #67
Saintor
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You are changing the subject
*You* asked the question.
      12-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #68
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
Have you driven an F30? How do you think it compares to the e90?

I haven't had a chance to drive the new car. Maybe it's fine. I crawled over one at an auto show. Trunk space is improved, rear seat room is better, and it's easier to get in and out of. But I keep hearing that it doesn't feel as responsive.

Other manufacturers have been trying to bottle the 3-series magic for a long time. The ATS might be the closest thing yet. Product trumps marketing and Cadillac, aside from CTS, has always been all bark and no bite. Just like Cadillac, what BMW says it builds doesn't matter as much as what comes out of the factory.

Slightly off topic, but here's a comparison between the Zeta and Alpha platform. The zeta is a Camaro version, but it also underpins CTS. Alpha is under the ATS. One is built to handle 500+ hp, and the other isn't.

Zeta (you'll need to copy and paste this into your browser):
"www.cartype.com/pics/5446/small/chevrolet_camaro_frame_10.jpg"

Alpha:
I've not yet driven either the F30 or the ATS. I'm waiting until I can drive both back to back on the same day. I've been by the local BMW dealer and was hard pressed to find a manual trans 328i (very sad), and the local Caddy dealer hasn't had any ATS 2.0T's with a manual either (also sad). I'm also waiting for the ATS to make sure it has the revised bushings in the shift linkage.

I've looked over the ATS at the dealer and like the style, size and assembly quality of the car (under the hood it is beautiful). I've not yet looked at the F30 in detail as I have the ATS, as I'm not that interested in it if it is not available with an N/A I6, but to be fair will test drive it to compare it to the 2 liter Caddy.

Then again I may just buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid for my DD (160 miles each day - could appreciate the 47 MPG) and preserve (and freshen up) my E90, as it is the last of the BMW 3-series naturally-aspriated in-line 6's (very, very, very, sad) just to keep it around...
Appreciate 0