Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Hit A Pothole

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

02-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Cyanide72
Private

Drives: '09 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hit A Pothole

Hey guys,
Friday evening I was heading back home and unfortunately hit a rather deep pothole going about 50KPH(30MPH). The front passengers side tire and I think rear tire are the ones that took the brunt of it. Drivers side front and back were not impacted. The sound it made was not pretty, but thankfully nothing else happened. I'm deeply annoyed with the city's roads this year around but it's hardly their fault. This winter has been brutal.

Either way, I stopped immediately in the neighboring parking lot and checked for any visible damage to the both passengers side tires but couldn't spot anything out of the ordinary. Granted it was dusk but I used the flashlight in my phone to check. The car looks normal. Yesterday, when I went on the highway though, I noticed a very slight vibration through the steering as well as the seats of the car.

I'm wondering if I've ended up bending a rim (or two) or (hopefully not) ended up damaging the suspension. Are there any tell tale signs of either? The car does not pull left or right and the steering remains perfectly straight on the highway at those speeds so I'm assuming the alignment is still fine. For what it's worth, the car looks perfectly normal and both the rims don't look bent from the outside. Perhaps the inside is bent?

I'll be taking the vehicle to my Indy mech tomorrow to have it checked out but is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Extremely disappointed with myself for not having spotted the pothole but nothing I can do now.

Thanks in advance.
Cyanide72 is offline   Canada
      02-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Davidpollara95

Drives: 2008 328i sedan

I had the exact thing happen to me last weekend, no visible damage, but the vibration over 40 mph. I took it to a shop where they told my alignment is way off and possible suspension parts are bent. Going to bmw on Thursday to be raped by the bill
      02-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpollara95
I had the exact thing happen to me last weekend, no visible damage, but the vibration over 40 mph. I took it to a shop where they told my alignment is way off and possible suspension parts are bent. Going to bmw on Thursday to be raped by the bill
Ugh... the tri-state got hammered this year didn't we?
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      02-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
srezzo
Private

Drives: 2006 330xi

I hit massive pot hole last night on the freeway. I wasn't able to slow down below 70MPH. The car doesn't feel as "solid" as it used to. I'll have to get the suspension inspected as well. This winter has been brutal!
      02-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
tphss
das Eichhörnchen

Drives: 13' M3 ESS, 11' 335i, 09' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
Hey guys,
Friday evening I was heading back home and unfortunately hit a rather deep pothole going about 50KPH(30MPH). The front passengers side tire and I think rear tire are the ones that took the brunt of it. Drivers side front and back were not impacted. The sound it made was not pretty, but thankfully nothing else happened. I'm deeply annoyed with the city's roads this year around but it's hardly their fault. This winter has been brutal.

Either way, I stopped immediately in the neighboring parking lot and checked for any visible damage to the both passengers side tires but couldn't spot anything out of the ordinary. Granted it was dusk but I used the flashlight in my phone to check. The car looks normal. Yesterday, when I went on the highway though, I noticed a very slight vibration through the steering as well as the seats of the car.

I'm wondering if I've ended up bending a rim (or two) or (hopefully not) ended up damaging the suspension. Are there any tell tale signs of either? The car does not pull left or right and the steering remains perfectly straight on the highway at those speeds so I'm assuming the alignment is still fine. For what it's worth, the car looks perfectly normal and both the rims don't look bent from the outside. Perhaps the inside is bent?

I'll be taking the vehicle to my Indy mech tomorrow to have it checked out but is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Extremely disappointed with myself for not having spotted the pothole but nothing I can do now.

Thanks in advance.
You should visit Montreal and see the roads there. Some potholes if you go in, you don't come out.
I think the city/gov are to blame for the road conditions, in the US the northern states (for example the bordering northern NY) has WAY better roads than Montreal area and they basically get the same winter.
tphss is offline   United_States
      02-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
chowser51
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

Well, I ran over a chunk of asphalt that was part of a bad patch job at about 70mph.

This is the result. Nice big bubble in the sidewall. Heading to the dealership tomorrow. I think it's covered under the road/tire warranty.

chowser51 is offline   United_States
      02-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328 wagon

me too!...the other night in Jersey....in fact I hit 2 potholes coming home...Damn it all!

no visible damage, car has a slight vibration under breaking now.....Im sure I tweaked something...

I was going to send my rims out anyway to a company that straightens and powder coats them for right around 100.00 each.....I ve got some road rash on 2 of them and this company will patch the gouges as well...

arghhhh

JP
      02-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Any additional noise or vibration while turning is a good sign you need the alignment and wheels checked. You might be lucky...I had one alignment done already and I think I need another one but will wait until i mount my summer tires.

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
      02-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Scott C BMW

Drives: '07 328XI, '07 525i

Add me to the list - hit the mother of all potholes tonight.

Right front tire/wheel took a wallop tonight. I stopped, checked it and no obvious flat but terrible clunking sound coming from near the front diff area when moving.

Terrible grinding sound and couldn't drive it home. I did contact police and have a report but man this is gonna hurt the wallet. I can't wait to see what insurance does (if anything).

Scott
      02-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
VF154 BlackNight
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011, 328i

The pot holes here are bad, I manage to hit a few while at high way speeds. Over the past couple of days. Now I had to put air in the left front tire today and I have antifreeze leak on the left side. And I have about 2k miles left on the warranty, I will dropping the car at the dealer during lunch tomorrow.
      02-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

it's potholapocalypse here. nailed one yesterday, scraped some rubber off my rim. doesn't appear to be any permanent damage.
      02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
Sounds like many of our haven't had the best luck with potholes this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
There is definitely a chance that the wheels could be bent or cracked on the barrel. A wheel and tire shop will be able to identify any issues with your wheels and tires pretty easily.
      02-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
Cyanide72
Private

Drives: '09 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
So I had the vehicle checked out today. Thankfully no damage to the suspension and the culprit is indeed a bent rim. Passengers side front rim has a very minor dent in it, but it's enough to cause the vibration at highway speeds. I'll more than likely just get it repaired at a wheel repair shop.

Drive safe everyone.
Cyanide72 is offline   Canada
      02-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
Repairing a minor bend shouldn't be too much money. Most shops around here will do that for $100 probably. Good luck!