E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 - Loud Clicking Noise After Letting Off Throttle, Cold Weather

01-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
daMau
Private First Class

Drives: '07 335i

N54 - Loud Clicking Noise After Letting Off Throttle, Cold Weather

Let me start off by saying that today it is a cool -13 degrees outside, so that may very well be the issue itself...

Today on my way to work, after the car had warmed up a bit (oil temp over 160), I noticed that when quickly letting off partial throttle under load in a higher gear and in low-mid RPMs (4th or 5th, around 2500k, lets say), I could hear a very audible clicking noise within the cabin of the car, sounding like it was coming from under passenger seat. Normally I am able to hear a little bit of wastegate clicking noise with the windows down in a closed area like my garage, but this was loud enough to hear while cruising with the windows up and heat running. Like a strong tapping under the seat. It would only do it under load though, and I could not reproduce it while revving the engine in park.

The car did not seem to be losing boost at all and was pulling strong as usual though. Car is a 2007 335i w/ 55,000 miles.

I imagine this is a noise from the wastegates and would also imagine the extreme cold temperatures are not helping. Just wondering if others have experienced this or if might be symptomatic of a greater/looming problem.
      01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
NTXE92
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2009 335i

What you're describing sounds like a loose drive shaft center support bearing.

Engine operation is independent of road speed so if it isn't happening at all speeds then you can rule out waste gates and combustion in the cats.