E90Post
 


Heel & Toe Apparel
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > replacement turbos



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

replacement turbos

Haven't been on this forum in a long time, so no idea what's current out there.
My rear turbo is leaking oil and I'm finally looking at turbo replacements and could use some suggestions. I have a N54 with GIAC tune and a few bolt ons. Cats are and will be retained. I'm not looking for more power, just reliable replacements and decent price. I see Dinan sells replacements with upgraded waste gate actuator pivots. Anyone else? Is RB still in business?

tia
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
madmantwo's Avatar
56
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: 2010 e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Wow you've been out of the game for a little while, welcome back.

There are many more hybrid turbo upgrade options now, but sadly nothing is more reliable than OEM. VTT and Dinan both offer the stock turbos with upgraded wastegate actuators but there haven't been enough reviews for me to say with any certainty that they're more reliable than stock.

If you want more power, look into the offerings from Pure, VTT, MMP. RB still sells turbos too but they're less popular on this forum
__________________
2010 BSM 335i 6MT M-Sport w/ MMP Stage 3 Turbos
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Yes, out of the game for a long time and over the whole modding thing. I have a $65k car in perfect condition that I could sell for maybe $10k so I'm keeping it. Thanks, guess I'll just go oem. I recall reading someone other than Dinan rebuilds them with stronger waste gates. Got to keep my cats and flash tune so no point in upgraded turbos.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
PLF69
New Member
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I know ECS sells brand new turbos made by mitsubishi, could be interesting if you want to stay stock.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33.../Turbocharger/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I know ECS sells brand new turbos made by mitsubishi, could be interesting if you want to stay stock.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33.../Turbocharger/
Thank you
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantwo View Post
Wow you've been out of the game for a little while, welcome back.

There are many more hybrid turbo upgrade options now, but sadly nothing is more reliable than OEM. VTT and Dinan both offer the stock turbos with upgraded wastegate actuators but there haven't been enough reviews for me to say with any certainty that they're more reliable than stock.

If you want more power, look into the offerings from Pure, VTT, MMP. RB still sells turbos too but they're less popular on this forum
Went ahead and bought the VTT rebuilds with upgraded thrust and waste gate actuators then read a bunch of threads that seem to say VTT is not a good product. Sure hope my experience is better.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
madmantwo's Avatar
56
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: 2010 e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Went ahead and bought the VTT rebuilds with upgraded thrust and waste gate actuators then read a bunch of threads that seem to say VTT is not a good product. Sure hope my experience is better.
VTT makes quality products, but they had some really bad PR in the past. They hired a new PR guy and he's really improved their image. Your turbos will be fine
__________________
2010 BSM 335i 6MT M-Sport w/ MMP Stage 3 Turbos
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
408
Rep
576
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I dunno about the new VTT guy... seems suspect to me.

Thank you for choosing VTT! Any questions concerning your turbos or installation/etc just ping me and I'll be glad to help you out.

Chris
      03-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
I dunno about the new VTT guy... seems suspect to me.

Thank you for choosing VTT! Any questions concerning your turbos or installation/etc just ping me and I'll be glad to help you out.

Chris
Chris

Can you get these out to ECS asap? I ordered them over 2 weeks ago, they were supposed to ship last week, now ECS tells me they won't get them until the end of this week at the earliest. My car's been sitting on a lift for 3 weeks
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
408
Rep
576
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Shoot me a PM with specifics.... name, ordered products, order no., etc.

Chris
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #11
R.G.
Captain
R.G.'s Avatar
47
Rep
726
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In my sub conscious

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Went ahead and bought the VTT rebuilds with upgraded thrust and waste gate actuators
I would have made the same decision based on your criteria. Best of luck
__________________
DocRace 6266 E92. F02 daily driver
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
luckyblack
Private
luckyblack's Avatar
5
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2006/7 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

I waited 2 months for mine and had to cancel. I hope you don't need them anytime soon. Apparently they make them per order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Chris

Can you get these out to ECS asap? I ordered them over 2 weeks ago, they were supposed to ship last week, now ECS tells me they won't get them until the end of this week at the earliest. My car's been sitting on a lift for 3 weeks
__________________
Vishnu Procede, VRSF DP's, VRSF intake, Adaptive headlights, walnut blast, new water pump & brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #13
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblack View Post
I waited 2 months for mine and had to cancel. I hope you don't need them anytime soon. Apparently they make them per order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Chris

Can you get these out to ECS asap? I ordered them over 2 weeks ago, they were supposed to ship last week, now ECS tells me they won't get them until the end of this week at the earliest. My car's been sitting on a lift for 3 weeks
Can't get any oem's either. What a crappy part They fail so quickly they're on back order.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #14
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
408
Rep
576
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

It's a 10 year old turbo platform... with thousands and thousands of these cars out there -never mind the people upgrading, just normal wear and tear- all the turbo manufacturers move quite a few, plus whatever Mitsu is moving.

Considering what many people ask out of the turbos OEM's do ok all things considered. It's a hostile environment.

The hardest part for people to get used to is that buying a turbo isn't like strolling to walmart to get a pair of socks. Very often it takes time. We try to keep at least the GC family in stock (if we can... they fly off the shelves) but it's still a good idea in general to try to plan your turbo purchase before you actually emergency NEED the part -best chance for minimizing vehicle down time like that. If you don't have a second car readily accessible turbo sourcing/replacement can be extremely inconvenient.

This platform is still pretty lucky overall, in durability, power potential, etc. I recall from my Subaru days often when a turbo went you'd do an oil change, see the glitter in the used oil and plan on an engine rebuild. Awful.
Appreciate 1
feuer1055

      03-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #15
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

^ It's a lousy design. I had my oe turbos replaced by BMW at 45k miles as part of the class action. The replacements lasted another 45k, now it's on my dime. Hope your rebuilt turbos last longer.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #16
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
408
Rep
576
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
^ It's a lousy design. I had my oe turbos replaced by BMW at 45k miles as part of the class action. The replacements lasted another 45k, now it's on my dime. Hope your rebuilt turbos last longer.
45k? Some people get a lot more than that... but it also depends on how hard you're pushing them. Back when I still had stock turbos (oh those sad, dark days...) They were still "ok" at 100k on the car but... those poor little snails couldn't make more than about 11 psi at redline, god bless them for trying. Once off the car I could tell the wastegates were just... gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #17
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

I think the GIAC flash pushes max psi up to 13 psi. I've had that tune since 30k.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #18
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
408
Rep
576
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I think the GIAC flash pushes max psi up to 13 psi. I've had that tune since 30k.
That's mild. Should be fine. Make sure that your oil feed and drain lines are not kinked up or coked. Brake cleaner through those lines (obviously removed from the car) is often all that's needed to clean them out. Having the turbo drain line kinked or coked up will cause you all sorts of trouble that you don't want.
Appreciate 1
feuer1055

      03-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
That's mild. Should be fine. Make sure that your oil feed and drain lines are not kinked up or coked. Brake cleaner through those lines (obviously removed from the car) is often all that's needed to clean them out. Having the turbo drain line kinked or coked up will cause you all sorts of trouble that you don't want.
Thank you, great suggestion I've been cleaning my whole intake tract too and ports/valves, all heavily coated with oil. Might as well do a catch can that I've put off.

Sorry all you N54 modders. I probably should be posting in the maintenance section.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
mweisdorfer
Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
2,007
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Haven't been on this forum in a long time, so no idea what's current out there.
My rear turbo is leaking oil and I'm finally looking at turbo replacements and could use some suggestions. I have a N54 with GIAC tune and a few bolt ons. Cats are and will be retained. I'm not looking for more power, just reliable replacements and decent price. I see Dinan sells replacements with upgraded waste gate actuator pivots. Anyone else? Is RB still in business?

tia
Look at ECS Tuning. The have OEM Mitsubishi and VVT with a few options you could upgrade on the VVT. I think for 1500 or so, you could get every major component on the turbos upgraded on VVT turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Look at ECS Tuning. The have OEM Mitsubishi and VVT with a few options you could upgrade on the VVT. I think for 1500 or so, you could get every major component on the turbos upgraded on VVT turbos.
Guess you didn't read the tread
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
cvc 22349a
Colonel
cvc 22349a's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
2,465
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (11)

Now I understand the frustration with VTT. Actually I'm frustrated with ECS for not giving me a realistic time of delivery which just keeps getting pushed back while my car sits on a lift. Will look at Dinan.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, Koni/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST