E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Bimmian illuminated shift knob



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
koreancow
Private
1
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i coupe 2007
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: california

iTrader: (1)

Bimmian illuminated shift knob

hey gys, i recently purchased this knob, and i was looking on the install guide, and it looked a little hard to install. has anyone ever done this to 335i e92? can someone give me some hints?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
ToadHollow's Avatar
Italy
73
Rep
5,059
Posts

Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreancow View Post
hey gys, i recently purchased this knob, and i was looking on the install guide, and it looked a little hard to install. has anyone ever done this to 335i e92? can someone give me some hints?
Do you have a link for this shifter?
__________________



Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
Bimmer335i07's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
15,801
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Do you have a link for this shifter?
I think he's referring to this.



http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270020
__________________

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
WCM3's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,373
Posts

Drives: 11 M3 & 95 M3t
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Downingtown, Pa

iTrader: (7)

You can probably install this one of two ways, a hard way and an easy way. Easy way just run it into your ashtray light wire and then it will be on whenever the ashtray light is on. The harder way would be to somehow run it into the same power/ground that dims the dash. That would be pretty cool, but I haven't seen it done on these cars.

Here's an example what I mean on an E36:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=328448

The DIY below shows you how to install lighted door sills in an e90 so it might help:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916

Haven't had a chance to do this yet, but when I do I will create a DIY.
__________________
2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs
1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc..
2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
266
Rep
17,021
Posts

Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
You can probably install this one of two ways, a hard way and an easy way. Easy way just run it into your ashtray light wire and then it will be on whenever the ashtray light is on. The harder way would be to somehow run it into the same power/ground that dims the dash. That would be pretty cool, but I haven't seen it done on these cars.

Here's an example what I mean on an E36:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=328448

The DIY below shows you how to install lighted door sills in an e90 so it might help:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916

Haven't had a chance to do this yet, but when I do I will create a DIY.
The best way is to run it to the ashtray/cigarette lighter which ties it to the interior amber lights and dims when you change the settings on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
WCM3's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,373
Posts

Drives: 11 M3 & 95 M3t
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Downingtown, Pa

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The best way is to run it to the ashtray/cigarette lighter which ties it to the interior amber lights and dims when you change the settings on the dash.
Perfect! I didn't think that would dim with the rest of the interior lights. If it does, this should be fairly simple.
__________________
2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs
1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc..
2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
BE.EM.VU.
Private First Class
BE.EM.VU.'s Avatar
Poland
3
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: Sapphire Black 08 E90 335i 6sp
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Illuminated Shift Knob

I installed this knob a few months ago. The instructions from Bimmian are not the best. What is shown on the web site & what you get are not the same. The size of wires are not what is shown ( much thinner) and the tapping instructions will not work with the thinner wires. I stripped the two wires connected to the LED light in the ashtray & tapped into them directly (one is (-) & one is (+)) then taped them with electrical tape. No issues so far & it looks great!
Attached Images
 
__________________
" Sometimes it's good to be me..."
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
koreancow
Private
1
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i coupe 2007
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: california

iTrader: (1)

awesome guys. thanks for all the input. im going to try to install the lights today!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
bioman
Private
1
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: E30
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Any updates on this knob? How does it feel? Weighted? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
266
Rep
17,021
Posts

Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Looks great, nice photo there!

The knob has a weightier feel than stock so it slips into gear much more easily. I really like it on Jon's 335.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
422
Rep
21,336
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I was expecting to pay a lot more considering it was a for BMW

I like it.
__________________
Facebook Monthly Coupons |Burger Tuning|| |Evolution Racewerks| |VRSF| |HPB Angel Eyes / LED / HID| |VTT Turbo Inlets| |ETS| |Active Autowerke|

|Wagner| |Cobb| |KW Coilovers| |Bilstein| |Spec Clutches| |Injen| |AFE Intakes| |Fuel It| |AR Design| |KONI| |Mishimoto| |StopTech| |Magnaflow| |Borla| |K&N| + MORE
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
linlaoboo
Private First Class
3
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey

iTrader: (0)

i'm considering this knob and was wondering the what's the height of the knob? My stock 07 E90 is 3.75 inches. . . and does it sit lower once installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
potpal
New Member
2
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 325i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Any one tried diying this before? Does anyone know if you easily remove the plate off your stock shifter and place some kind of led under it? Or is the plate not removable at all
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #14
AmeanBema
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I have been trying to look for an illuminated BMW knob like the stock. Too bad the only one that looks close is an M. Hopefully they come out with a new one. Those pictures make me want one even more.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
pimp4cheddar's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,816
Posts

Drives: Mojave E92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison@JleviSW View Post
The best way is to run it to the ashtray/cigarette lighter which ties it to the interior amber lights and dims when you change the settings on the dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
Perfect! I didn't think that would dim with the rest of the interior lights. If it does, this should be fairly simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE.EM.VU. View Post
I installed this knob a few months ago. The instructions from Bimmian are not the best. What is shown on the web site & what you get are not the same. The size of wires are not what is shown ( much thinner) and the tapping instructions will not work with the thinner wires. I stripped the two wires connected to the LED light in the ashtray & tapped into them directly (one is (-) & one is (+)) then taped them with electrical tape. No issues so far & it looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreancow View Post
awesome guys. thanks for all the input. im going to try to install the lights today!

Gonna bump an old thread...

I have this shift knob and tried installing it last week.

Ran into 2 big problems:
  • The shift knob doesn't go all the way down so there's a gap between the botton of the knob and the shifter boot. You can see the metal in between. How does one fix this???
  • Also...the wires aren't long enough to hook into the cig lighter. I chouldn't find a way to tap into those wires...any advice?


Thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
pimp4cheddar's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,816
Posts

Drives: Mojave E92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida

iTrader: (11)

Anyone? Insight? Tips?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
pimp4cheddar's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,816
Posts

Drives: Mojave E92
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida

iTrader: (11)

Someone has to have some insight!!! C'mon folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
MontegoChris
Captain
23
Rep
945
Posts

Drives: 08 MB 335i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (15)

bringing this old thread back, installing mine tonight.
__________________
RemusQuadExhaust/DukeDiffuser/JB4/AFEdownpipes/BMSDCI/EibachSprings/UUCSSK/ETSChargePipe/HKSSSQV/19"BlackMiro111/CXRIntercooler/ MtechF+R/M3Sides/HiKickPerformanceSpoiler/GlossBlackRoofWrap
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
rylak
Private
3
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2009 AW/CR E93 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 E93 335i  [0.00]
I have an 09+ 335i, so i dont have a cigarette lighter. I was wondering if there is anything else I can tap into?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST