E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > It seems like I should be selling my BMW right now.

12-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90

a

c

Last edited by bringsmewomen; 12-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleBlue
That's not a good comparison. 2005 to 2006 was a complete redesign. 2006 has already been redesigned and it's still holding the current value, whether it is this year or next year you are not going to find much difference.

On the other hand, if you only have 48K miles on it, why sell it? Mine has 58K miles and runs beautiful, if you figure any further maintenance cost or even decline in value it far outweighs the cost you would inccurring from buying a newer model one.

The thing with BMW is that no matter how old it is the vehicle still looks good and looks newer compared to other brands that age so quickly ( design looks older ) not with BMW.

Just my thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
That's not a good comparison. 2005 to 2006 was a complete redesign. 2006 has already been redesigned and it's still holding the current value, whether it is this year or next year you are not going to find much difference.

On the other hand, if you only have 48K miles on it, why sell it? Mine has 58K miles and runs beautiful, if you figure any further maintenance cost or even decline in value it far outweighs the cost you would inccurring from buying a newer model one.

The thing with BMW is that no matter how old it is the vehicle still looks good and looks newer compared to other brands that age so quickly ( design looks older ) not with BMW.

Just my thought.
Thanks for your thought. I've considered the things you've said here too. The reason why it's a similar comparison is that it's been redesigned again now in 2013. But let's just say it won't go down much in value. Even given that, and my car right now seems to be operating very well, when things go wrong, it's always really pricey. Any repair usually costs upwards of a thousand dollars. Even maintenance in general is really high. I'm wondering if I should offload the car before anything big happens and before it hits 50K miles. After that, psychologically, people basically feel like its a more used car than under 50K.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's just a matter of opinion, the only thing that will cost you over a $1k is the water/thermostat replacement, other than that it's not. Not sure how handy you are, but I do brakes myself, I had the pump/therm replaced including flush recently and the dealer says that I am set till 100K when plugs are recommended. I have not heard of other major failures in the power train from other posts other than the pump,
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's just a matter of opinion, the only thing that will cost you over a $1k is the water/thermostat replacement, other than that it's not. Not sure how handy you are, but I do brakes myself, I had the pump/therm replaced including flush recently and the dealer says that I am set till 100K when plugs are recommended. I have not heard of other major failures in the power train from other posts other than the pump,
Well I'll give you an example. The blower on the AC went right before the warranty went out. Thank goodness it was covered, but something small like that would have been expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen View Post
Well I'll give you an example. The blower on the AC went right before the warranty went out. Thank goodness it was covered, but something small like that would have been expensive.
you're right...we can say 'if this goes out' and 'if that goes out' all day, no one really knows, just from my opinon I would pay $500 to repair for example than pay $30K over trade in to get a 2013 3 series

But if money is not a problem then by all means !
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you're right...we can say 'if this goes out' and 'if that goes out' all day, no one really knows, just from my opinon I would pay $500 to repair for example than pay $30K over trade in to get a 2013 3 series

But if money is not a problem then by all means !
Who said I would get another BMW? lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who said I would get another BMW? lol
You got me HA, out of curiosity what would do you have in mind?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You got me HA, out of curiosity what would do you have in mind?
Maybe a Prius. It will definitely hurt in terms of performance and style difference but it just makes so much sense in every other way.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

wow I am shocked! That's a night and day change !
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
wow I am shocked! That's a night and day change !
Indeed it would be. But its low maintenance car that lasts forever and depreciation isn't bad. Can't say the same for a BMW. Haven't decided for sure yet but starting to consider after having my car for 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Indeed it would be. But its low maintenance car that lasts forever and depreciation isn't bad. Can't say the same for a BMW. Haven't decided for sure yet but starting to consider after having my car for 6 years.
Well good luck man, you gotta do what you gotta do, don't feel bad, at least you can say you had one
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well good luck man, you gotta do what you gotta do, don't feel bad, at least you can say you had one
Well I would get another one except I don't like the direction BMW is going. And I don't really like the new design. meh.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I would get another one except I don't like the direction BMW is going. And I don't really like the new design. meh.
I agree, I have driven the 2013 for a few days while my car was getting the pump/therm/flush work done and didn't care for all the gizmos...the radio screen popping out of the dash looks like it would retract but it doesn't, very cumbersome, the shifter, no compartment for glasss or anything in the middle console, the seats seem cheaper, just not my style on the inside, outside is not too bad, I like my E90, seems roomier than the 2013 for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
bringsmewomen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree, I have driven the 2013 for a few days while my car was getting the pump/therm/flush work done and didn't care for all the gizmos...the radio screen popping out of the dash looks like it would retract but it doesn't, very cumbersome, the shifter, no compartment for glasss or anything in the middle console, the seats seem cheaper, just not my style on the inside, outside is not too bad, I like my E90, seems roomier than the 2013 for whatever reason.
Yeah. My own opinion is that BMW has somewhat lost it's way.
And the fact that they're constantly trying to expand their product lines is annoying. 1, 3, (potentially 4) 5, 6, 7 series. X1, X3, X5, X6, X7.

The proposition value for the consumer between the different product lines are becoming blurred and diluted. It's no longer a special brand. It's a brand that just tries to expand to hit more people in the market. For some products, to appeal to a mass consumer I think that's great. For a brand like BMW, it's not. I don't feel like BMW is a car everyone should own.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Maybe a Prius.
Said by someone with "bringsmewomen" as his username...

Hairy legs growing on ya, man?

As to the $4000 value drop in a year for your current; even if that high, consider the depreciation on what you replace it with. Unless you trade down, it's likely to be worse that sitting tight.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
MattMD
E9X > F3X
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 328i

Buying a Prius only makes sense if you want to think your car is actually helping save the world.

The extra $10k you spend on a Prius can cover a lot of gas in a Corolla. You'll have 88,000 miles on your Corolla at 30MPG and $3.40 /gal before you see any kind of savings. That isn't even mentioning the higher costs of a hybrid.

Mods - Stock for now

Dream Car - Mineral White E92 M3 DCT, Ferrari 458 (someday )
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
fravel
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

For what it's worth, I have an '06 330i with ~80K on it and my KBB value more closely reflects the '05 numbers you've posted than the '06 numbers you got for your car. This leads me to believe that mileage plays a bigger role in the KBB values than the "newness" of your car relative to the current model year.
      12-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

OP, if you're considering a Prius and you have a garage, I'd recommend checking out the Chevy Volt or even the Accord plug-in hybrid that's coming out in a few months. I like the Volt especially because unlike the others, it's designed to operate on electric power basically 100% of the time except when you run out of juice -- and then there's a gas engine that will take you as far as you need to go.

The 2013 Civic Hybrid is also coming out shortly and unlike the 2012, it's not a styling, feature, and handling disaster. Honda pulled off an unprecedented mid-cycle refresh after a single model year after the 2012 redesign got panned by just about everyone, but they did a great job.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 12-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
brio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 330i, '09 e92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
^^^ He's right.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
brio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 330i, '09 e92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
For what it's worth, I have an '06 330i with ~80K on it and my KBB value more closely reflects the '05 numbers you've posted than the '06 numbers you got for your car. This leads me to believe that mileage plays a bigger role in the KBB values than the "newness" of your car relative to the current model year.
I meant that I agree with this post.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
Golde90
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2008 e90 prem, xenon,AT

It seems like I should be selling my BMW right now

I sense some torment and anguish in your question and maybe my perspective could be of use to you. Maybe not, but here goes.

Your 330i is one of the dwindling prizes in the modern BMW world and since you've already crossed the threshold into no-warranty land it seems to me that you either have to:

1) Continue to give up worrying about the 'what ifs' and enjoy the hell out of one of BMW's best balanced and constructed 3 series. You are right, they will never be here again and if you love driving it, then keep on and love it for as many years as you can. This is among the last really solid, driveable and serviceable models BMW will make and it will last hundreds of thousands of miles with some care and attention. You will love every one of those miles.

2) Cave and go buy a modern japanese car and get a new hobby. Something that will take your mind off how much of an appliance your new wheels are and the pain of remembering those sweet moments of responsive steering feel on your 330, the soft moan as you wind out one of the last inline six BMW ever made without a turbo and the solid and quiet as a vault interior.

The BMW world really isnt best enjoyed in a financial decision mode, it's more of a passion and a love that makes this alternate world worth it. Its never just worth the money, but it's one of the few daily life experiences that a little extra money can bring that isnt illegal, immoral or fattening.

That's my piece. you are on your own and I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.
Appreciate 0