E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Previously working meth kit, now low flow

12-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Previously working meth kit, now low flow

Running the Vishnu PWM meth setup for over a year now, and it has been 99% flawless. I've had to trim back the hoses going into the push-connect fittings on the pump (no leaks, just being proactive), and had to retighten the connections on the small filter due to sucking air.

Anyway, went out of town and didn't drive the car for a whole 3 days, and it's now acting up. Meth flow is poor, and I don't see any bubbles in the clear tubes that run to the jets, just solid fluid. I've jumped the pressure switch and purged the system 3 times, checked all connections for leaks, it is not sucking any air or leaking anywhere. Logs show flow up and down between 12 and 20, never hits 35 like it used to, injector DC is 100% at full throttle.

Is it possible that the pump is weak? It doesn't seem to shoot as vigorously as before when I jump the switch and dump into a container. Power and ground are good.

Thanks in advance.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
stilov
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

I just went through something similar with my cooling mist pump.

I thought it was a kink in the line or air somewhere, or debris. Checked everything over 2 months time and could not get it to work. Everyone told me the pump was unlikely the culprit.

I met a local guy swapped pumps and BAM, full meth flow again. So I bought a new pump and all is good.

I was going to pull my pump apart to see if I could identify what made it go weak.
      12-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Ilma
Colonel

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post

Is it possible that the pump is weak? It doesn't seem to shoot as vigorously as before .
Have you tried Viagara?

But seriously....My vote is for the flow sensor itself as a couple of people have had to replace them.

Why don't you pull the nozzles out and visually verify they are misting into a glass jar.

Then pull of the C-clip flow sensor contact and check for corrosion on the FAV.

I would also check the electrical connections at the relay.

If the flow test is good, then I would contact vishnu or Jeff Howerton for a replacement C-clip sensor.
      12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Tzu
Major

Drives: 335i

I assume you checked the volume flow rate from the nozzles when you purged the lines? Also check pump flow into a bucket so you know suppy to the FAV is correct.

If you're still WW res, then check the filter in the WW before it meets the washer out hose. And if you're comfortable, pull the pump head and have a look as well.
Tzu is offline   Canada
      12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT

You'll need to give more info. I went through a ton of testing to figure mine out.
First, when you say low flow, does it stop? A lot of times, the DC would be 100% but I'd have no flow being logged. I replaced, relays, FAV, pump, lines, etc. Same issue.
I would verify flow. I ran an extension line on the FAV to a clear plastic bottle inside my car. Went for a drive to verify flow. My dash lights never came on but I would get flow in the bottle. My case, issue was the c-clamp on the flow sensor.
badass335 is online now   Canada
      12-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: pickemuptruck

Agree with Tzu and Ilma before you test anything else. Pull the nozzles and measure spray volume into a bottle by jumping the pump and activating the FAV (6v battery works).
      12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

The flow sensor is brand new. I had a failure on a different car, swapped my known good one on, and waited for this new one as a replacement. It read dead zero or intermittently, not low. Mine reads, but very low. No clogs, no debris, no scum/muck/crud in the system, it's dead clean and working.

I haven't pulled the nozzles to observe flow/spray pattern, haven't had time, yet. But from what I can discern, the pump just seems weak when pumping against no resistance. Once I put my finger over the outlet hose, it definitely does not build pressure anywhere near 150psi.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      12-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT

Quote:
The flow sensor is brand new. I had a failure on a different car, swapped my known good one on, and waited for this new one as a replacement. It read dead zero or intermittently, not low. Mine reads, but very low. No clogs, no debris, no scum/muck/crud in the system, it's dead clean and working.

I haven't pulled the nozzles to observe flow/spray pattern, haven't had time, yet. But from what I can discern, the pump just seems weak when pumping against no resistance. Once I put my finger over the outlet hose, it definitely does not build pressure anywhere near 150psi.
Sounds like a pump issue based on what youre saying. I should clarify something though. In my case, the flow sensor wasn't bad. The turbine itself was fine. It was just the C-Clamp cable that connected to the flow sensor turbine that was bad.
badass335 is online now   Canada
      12-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
themyst
Major General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:

Well, you need to do a process of elimination. If the kit was working fine before you did some maintenance on the setup, I'd go back to what you messed with.

IMO it's a clogged pump, but that's a completely blind assessment.