E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake Vanos Solenoid and Chevron Techron

11-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
bmwarg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Intake Vanos Solenoid and Chevron Techron

I put a bottle of Chevron Techron mixed in with a full tank of gasoline and then toward the end of the tank got some rough idling and a engine check light that went away when restarting car. I read the codes and it pointed to the intake vanos solenoid. I bought the part, but now I am wondering if I should change the intake vanos solenoid because the car seems to be running fine. Was it the Chevron Techron?
      11-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Kienvu14
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarg
I put a bottle of Chevron Techron mixed in with a full tank of gasoline and then toward the end of the tank got some rough idling and a engine check light that went away when restarting car. I read the codes and it pointed to the intake vanos solenoid. I bought the part, but now I am wondering if I should change the intake vanos solenoid because the car seems to be running fine. Was it the Chevron Techron?
Vanos deal with oil so you could be having a whole seperate problem here. Clean both of your current vanos and see if it comes back. If not I'd return it
      11-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
bmwarg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienvu14 View Post
Vanos deal with oil so you could be having a whole seperate problem here. Clean both of your current vanos and see if it comes back. If not I'd return it
I haven't put in the new vanos. So you are suggesting to clean the vanos and see if it comes back and if it does put in the new vanos and if not return the current vanos.

I was wondering whether or not it was coincidence that the Chevron Techron affected the vanos. I read one other BMW post that noticed the same issue after adding techron. Could the Chevron Techron get into the oil?

Is it good maintenance to change the vanos solenoids every so many miles?
      11-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Kienvu14
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarg
Quote:
I haven't put in the new vanos. So you are suggesting to clean the vanos and see if it comes back and if it does put in the new vanos and if not return the current vanos.

I was wondering whether or not it was coincidence that the Chevron Techron affected the vanos. I read one other BMW post that noticed the same issue after adding techron. Could the Chevron Techron get into the oil?

Is it good maintenance to change the vanos solenoids every so many miles?
A lot of people had vanos problems. Including me. I would get them on WOT's and it was quite annoying. Once I replaced with new ones, they have never come back. Not once what so ever. So if you want to just swap them since you have them, it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if the techron has any direct relationship to the vanos but I know the vanos is oil related and if you throw codes sometime cleaning them stops it. But sometimes the cleaning doesn't help and replacing them solves the issue
      11-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
bmwarg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A lot of people had vanos problems. Including me. I would get them on WOT's and it was quite annoying. Once I replaced with new ones, they have never come back. Not once what so ever. So if you want to just swap them since you have them, it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if the techron has any direct relationship to the vanos but I know the vanos is oil related and if you throw codes sometime cleaning them stops it. But sometimes the cleaning doesn't help and replacing them solves the issue
ok, what the heck, i'll just replace the vanos. might as well. :-) thanks!