E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Performance mods at 105k?

02-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
prepster
Private First Class

Drives: bmw 335i

Performance mods at 105k?

Ok, so once i do my next maintaince (ofhg, vcg, sparkplugs, oil change, etc.) i plan to do the following mods to give my daily driver a moderate boost in power;

1) jb4 tune (map 5 or map 1)
2) vsrf dp
2) vsrf 5 inch intercooler
4) still debating on afe dci w/heat shield (dont like the excess noise too much but if it helps my engine last longer then yes)
5) still debating on the charge pipe since i heard it cracks

Would these mods be overkill to my engine that has 105k miles? I havent had any major problems beside the usuall hpfp, waterpump, tstsat, and ofhg/vc leaks. Also, will my transmission be able to hold up to the added extra power? I know this has been talked about be before but just want to get an idea if its even possible to consider adding these mods...thanks im advance for your advice
      02-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

105K is not that high mileage. So no. I'd feel totally comfortable tossing a 6466 top mount on a 100K N54, assuming it was properly maintained.

Are you AT or MT? AT will hold FBO torque, MT with a better clutch and perhaps SMFW.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      02-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
iturbo_bmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i e92

yes yes yes yes yes

you'll be fine. that will more than a moderate boost in power. add back end flash to your list. and walnut blast your intake valves and get a occ and rb pcv valve. As you push more power, weaker parts will start to show and u may have some unexpected maintenance. other than that i don't see why it wouldnt be possible to consider adding mods loll
      02-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
prepster
Private First Class

Yes i have an automatic, ill look into the rear end flash and hopefully that will help my transmission, i already did a tranny fluid drain and refill 40k miles ago so hopefully it will hold up. Ok after reading other threads, i am looking forward to fbp, btw, does placing catless dp make the exhaust tone raspy? I love the tuned exhaust sound that the car already comes with
      02-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
N54B30
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepster View Post
Yes i have an automatic, ill look into the rear end flash and hopefully that will help my transmission, i already did a tranny fluid drain and refill 40k miles ago so hopefully it will hold up. Ok after reading other threads, i am looking forward to fbp, btw, does placing catless dp make the exhaust tone raspy? I love the tuned exhaust sound that the car already comes with
Back End Flash ≠ Transmission Control Unit Flash

A Back End, which was suggested by iturbo_bmw is a flash of the DME(ECU). It is often done to help with fueling/etc and to assist the Piggyback ECU (Procede, JB4, etc).

A TCU Flash isn't a bad idea either, Alpina TCU Flash is what I would recommend/is the most common for 6AT applications. I personally love it, especially as you get into higher power levels.

Light Bolt-ons, Tunes, & Methanol Injection:
12.30 @ 115mph [2.0 60ft on Street Tires] [91 Octane]
1.59 Seconds Faster than Stock [as of 05/29/2014]
      02-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Ok, so once i do my next maintaince (ofhg, vcg, sparkplugs, oil change, etc.) i plan to do the following mods to give my daily driver a moderate boost in power;

2) vsrf dp
2) vsrf 5 inch intercooler
4) still debating on afe dci w/heat shield (dont like the excess noise too much but if it helps my engine last longer then yes)
5) still debating on the charge pipe since i heard it cracks

Would these mods be overkill to my engine that has 105k miles? I havent had any major problems beside the usuall hpfp, waterpump, tstsat, and ofhg/vc leaks. Also, will my transmission be able to hold up to the added extra power? I know this has been talked about be before but just want to get an idea if its even possible to consider adding these mods...thanks im advance for your advice
I'm not sure why folks see 100,000 miles as some magical number where the engine falls apart and can't take some extra strain.

Tune and enjoy!

As long as you have maintained your car and changed your oil on time there is no reason your engine is not as strong as it was at 20,000 miles or earlier.

Of course the real way of knowing your engine strength comes down to a compression and leak down test but I'll tell you right now I see no issue putting those modifications on the car at that mileage.

Had you said 200K I would probably say you are playing with fire.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      02-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
prepster
Private First Class

thanks, i appreciate the advice and help, looks like i will be saving up for some future power mods for sure.
      02-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
V8bait
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:

2) vsrf dp
2) vsrf 7 inch intercooler
4) dci
5) BT cable for backend flash
6) Alpina trans flash

fixed.