E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > So who has replaced a clutch?

12-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us

Drives: '11 AW E90

So who has replaced a clutch?

Turns out pushing PWM meth on a 73k mile clutch is about the limit for my '07. Pinning WOT @ 3k in 5th produces and impressive rev spike as of late. Who has replaced their clutch DIY? Did you go OEM or aftermarket (HPF, etc.). I don't plan on doing more than DCI/v5/PWM so I don't really need a 750+hp solution. However, I plan to keep the car to 100k+ so I don't want to burn an OEM clutch before then. It seems like I can replace the clutch and reuse the pressure plate - T or F? As long as my flywheel, rear seal and throwout bearings are GTG I'm out $130 for a clutch disc right? Any/all advice or experience appreciated.

Best Regards,

smellfish
      12-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

No. With all the work to R/R the clutch, you would be best served replacing at least the full clutch kit.

You will never want to reuse the stock throwout bearing on any car, ever. Only reuse a throwout bearing if it's recently replaced, and you can disassemble and regrease it - which is not possible on these cheap plastic units they're using now.

You will need at a minimum: Trans bolt set and clutch kit.

Additionally you may need a flywheel, exhaust gaskets, new copper nuts, and pivot pin.
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      12-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General

Drives: This----------->

Well i was in the same boat as you however my car is a lease so when i started to slip i just removed all power mods.

My clutch went out around at around 25000 ( demo/ test drive car). I had BMW replace it with OEM. Used just a Jb4 and intake for another 25000 then i added Meth and ramped up boost to 17psi.

Thats all she wrote from their, In the morning it was not that bad but when i got colder at night the clutch would slip in between shifts. It feels like the tires are breaking loose with out the ass kicking out ( if thats a good analogy).

All in all, I would have def installed the ACT street clutch kit. I know MR.5 praised it and so did alot of others. especially for the 400 whp crowd.

Another new really nice option is HPF's clutch kit for the N54.

On another note, Resurface the stock flywheel or order a new one and always replace the throw out bearings. Why risk digging into the tranny again?!

12-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Rotorocious
Major

Drives: 335i

Just did mine last night. Went with the act
      12-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Rotorocious
Major

If you DIY , take off the intake to get to the bolts on the top of the transmission. Took an extra 10 minutes but saved so much frustration.
I resurfaced my flywheel , replaced the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, arm, trans bolts, pressure plate bolts, flywheel bolts etc. along with the rear main seal also. Might as well do what you can while your in there.
      01-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
smellfish

All good info, much appreciated. I'll start looking into aftermarket options and replace everything - except the flywheel. Who did the resurfacing? Beyond looking for scoring or cracks I'm not sure I would even know if it needed to be done.
      01-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Rotorocious
Major

You can send it off to machine shop in California or Oregon and wait on it.
Or you can find a local machine shop to do it. I found a shop near me and had them call another shop who's done it before to make sure they did it right. Works great. 200 miles do far with no issues
      01-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General

Drives: This----------->

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellfish View Post
All good info, much appreciated. I'll start looking into aftermarket options and replace everything - except the flywheel. Who did the resurfacing? Beyond looking for scoring or cracks I'm not sure I would even know if it needed to be done.
look for cnc machining in your area. ask if they could machine the face a few MM.

01-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Send a message via MSN to ttbmer Send a message via Skype™ to ttbmer
How much for a stock flywheel
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
ttbmer is offline   United_States
      01-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
jokergerm
Lieutenant

Im having a shop install my clutch for 400 bucks cash, and its a very good shop. all the work on is high end german cars.

They dont do alot or performace mods just normal repairs mostly

keep looking around

i need to find a new flywheel can some one point me to a cheaper dual mass fly wheel
      01-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
b00sted4v
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi

Just did clutch couple weeks ago, took just over 3 hours to pull stock and replace it with act street disc. Broke clutch in 500miles and when shifting the car fast just doesnt seem like the act disengages fast enough(causing to grind gears). Also just on cobb stage 1 right now and when I try to launch the car at about 3800-4300 rpms the clutch just slips. Not sure if it is a bad clutch or the clamping is just not enough
b00sted4v is offline   United_States
      01-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
MDORPHN
Colonel

Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****ed4v View Post
Just did clutch couple weeks ago, took just over 3 hours to pull stock and replace it with act street disc. Broke clutch in 500miles and when shifting the car fast just doesnt seem like the act disengages fast enough(causing to grind gears). Also just on cobb stage 1 right now and when I try to launch the car at about 3800-4300 rpms the clutch just slips. Not sure if it is a bad clutch or the clamping is just not enough
If you haven't already done so, I'd re-bleed the clutch line.

Neil
      01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
tmo24
Captain

Drives: 2010 335i e90 Msport

Also looking to replace my clutch soon. I also have the annoying rattle with the clutch out. And it grinds during quick shifts from 1-2. It also seems to be engaging a little differently than normal. Depending on operating temp and how I'm driving etc. but it's not as consistent as it used to be. In for more information.
      01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
ar design
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: '86 325ES+S50, '01 TT QC

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ar design Send a message via MSN to ar design Send a message via Yahoo to ar design
I'd suggest replacing both the pressure plate and the flywheel, and also on of our OEM parts kits. We include the metal pivot pin, new throw out bearing, pilot bearing, bolts, etc etc. A lot of our customers have been thrilled with the ACT Street Disk, and it has been proven to 500whp.

http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw/e...-bm8-hdsd.html
ar design is offline   United_States
      01-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
b00sted4v
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
I'd suggest replacing both the pressure plate and the flywheel, and also on of our OEM parts kits. We include the metal pivot pin, new throw out bearing, pilot bearing, bolts, etc etc. A lot of our customers have been thrilled with the ACT Street Disk, and it has been proven to 500whp.

http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw/e...-bm8-hdsd.html
Hmmmm same clutch I just installed and seem to be having problems with it. clutch has 500 city miles on it and will not take a launch just slips. And also grinds between gears when shifting it fast
b00sted4v is offline   United_States
      01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
jokergerm
Lieutenant

95% of upgraded clutch problems fall back on install errors..................
      01-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
ar design
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: '86 325ES+S50, '01 TT QC

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ar design Send a message via MSN to ar design Send a message via Yahoo to ar design
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****ed4v View Post
Hmmmm same clutch I just installed and seem to be having problems with it. clutch has 500 city miles on it and will not take a launch just slips. And also grinds between gears when shifting it fast
Did you replace flywheel? 100% sounds like it was not installed right. These things hold 500whp no problem.
ar design is offline   United_States
      01-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
smellfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
If you DIY , take off the intake to get to the bolts on the top of the transmission. Took an extra 10 minutes but saved so much frustration.
I resurfaced my flywheel , replaced the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, arm, trans bolts, pressure plate bolts, flywheel bolts etc. along with the rear main seal also. Might as well do what you can while your in there.
Any other thoughts on replacing the rear main?
      01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
bryce
Banned

Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
Did you replace flywheel? 100% sounds like it was not installed right. These things hold 500whp no problem.
+1, install error is my guess

i recently had an ACT clutch installed. the shop re-surfaced the flywheel. it was slipping pretty bad before, now after break-in (500 miles) it's holding everything the stage III aggressive procede maps can throw at it.
      01-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

isn't the 1M flywheel lighter weight?
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
      01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
bryce
Banned

Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
isn't the 1M flywheel lighter weight?
yes, but you can't use it on 07-mid08 builds
      01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
yes, but you can't use it on 07-mid08 builds
Awwww
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT