E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UPGR8 drop in dry filter, pictures and video

10-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

UPGR8 drop in dry filter, pictures and video

I'm in the process of quieting the car back down a little since I have a muffler delete and thoroughly enjoy that noise. I also noticed how much dirtier the engine bay got without the oem snorkel (I don't live in the city) so I wanted to put that piece back on. Last reason for doing this is that I think having two dirty filters is unappealing and cleaning them both is redundant.

I still own my DCI and will go back if I'm unhappy with the outcome so for now, they won't be for sale. The upgr8 filter was 18 dollars and I went into this with open expectations. hopefully the uploads turn out decent.
Attached Images

10-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
b1mmr
Major
Rep

res
      10-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
b1mmr
Major
Rep

diy vacuum port.. very close

the drop in filter seems to stop the infamous dual stage bov sound that all the n54 guys got, which is no surprise as I assumed the DCI caused it.
Attached Images

10-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
RSTECH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i xdrive Msport

Surprisingly I don't get the dual blow off sound. If anything I think a custom box with custom filter would be a good idea for those trying to keep a box and not have dci
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

I've been thinking about this as well. The DCI are all hype. I'll say one thing for BMS: they are great at convincing people to buy things (dci, their boost controller, etc)

Short of buying an actual intake, I think the Z4 filter lid and a high flow panel should perform pretty well.
Appreciate 3
      10-06-2016, 01:43 AM   #6
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTECH
Surprisingly I don't get the dual blow off sound. If anything I think a custom box with custom filter would be a good idea for those trying to keep a box and not have dci
weird you don't get the sound, it only happened to me with lower boost levels it seemed. I agree, I actually tossed around the idea of cutting out a spot on the lid for a smaller second filter but I wouldn't want to do it to my only lid. this is method is really popular among atv's.
      10-06-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90
I've been thinking about this as well. The DCI are all hype. I'll say one thing for BMS: they are great at convincing people to buy things (dci, their boost controller, etc)

Short of buying an actual intake, I think the Z4 filter lid and a high flow panel should perform pretty well.
I agree to both statements unfortunately.. shiny marketing techniques and aggressive vendors fuel most of the sales in the n54 scene..I have approx 25 mi on the oem box and upgr8. throttle feels more predictable and drivable honestly but I'll follow up with more later.

I'll check out the z4 lid when I get off work.
      10-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #8
Red Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S3

i had the DCI setup...hated it. the noise and car did not feel as smooth and powerful.

stock map car felt so smooth and torquey after stock intake install

then followed with a MHD tune with few gallons of E85. and wow love how the car feels no unnecessary noise..just consistent power
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS
i had the DCI setup...hated it. the noise and car did not feel as smooth and powerful.

stock map car felt so smooth and torquey after stock intake install

then followed with a MHD tune with few gallons of E85. and wow love how the car feels no unnecessary noise..just consistent power
word man, completely agree. can't wait to get this coil in the mail and installed so I can tach out the car with this filter and the e40 map.
      10-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
teamraw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54 View Post
I'm in the process of quieting the car back down a little since I have a muffler delete and thoroughly enjoy that noise. I also noticed how much dirtier the engine bay got without the oem snorkel (I don't live in the city) so I wanted to put that piece back on. Last reason for doing this is that I think having two dirty filters is unappealing and cleaning them both is redundant.

I still own my DCI and will go back if I'm unhappy with the outcome so for now, they won't be for sale. The upgr8 filter was 18 dollars and I went into this with open expectations. hopefully the uploads turn out decent.

Hows the fitment and quality of UPGR8 drop in dry filter? i was just thinking of picking one up their super cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4, i8

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Are you running the cover or did you leave the cover off? If you left the cover off then you're letting unfiltered air into your intake stream.

Also the panel filter isn't your biggest restriction, it's the small area that leads the filtered air into the two intake snorkels that is the restriction in the mid and upper rpm range.

If anyone is seriously considering an upgraded panel filter, please make sure you're purchasing from a reputable air filter manufacturer. The cheap filters are generally made overseas by companies with very little quality control standards and the cheap filters have proven to fall apart and cause more harm than good. Stick with S&B, K&N and Green.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF
Are you running the cover or did you leave the cover off? If you left the cover off then you're letting unfiltered air into your intake stream.

Also the panel filter isn't your biggest restriction, it's the small area that leads the filtered air into the two intake snorkels that is the restriction in the mid and upper rpm range.

If anyone is seriously considering an upgraded panel filter, please make sure you're purchasing from a reputable air filter manufacturer. The cheap filters are generally made overseas by companies with very little quality control standards and the cheap filters have proven to fall apart and cause more harm than good. Stick with S&B, K&N and Green.
of course I put the lid on... and I don't see what's wrong with the filter being built in the same country as your products, Tiago.
      10-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
b1mmr
Major
Rep

fits perfectly
Attached Images

10-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #14
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
of course I put the lid on... and I don't see what's wrong with the filter being built in the same country as your products, Tiago.
LMAO, if I could appreciate this more than once, I would. He is the last guy who should be talking about quality. I have pictures of 2 charge pipes and an intercooler with quality issues. The type of issues that show that it was either not inspected at all, or it was inspected but the inspector took 0 pride in the products.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4, i8

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
We've had a couple members in the past who've done dyno comparisons of no lid vs lid. You can't be too careful.

I don't have a problem with manufacturing overseas what so ever. Foxcon has perfected the art of making electronics overseas so most of us would have no concern with purchasing an Apple product made in China. The difference is there isn't a Foxcon for air filters, at least no yet so you have no way to judge the filters ability to filter out contaminants or flow based on a brand.

Our downpipes/chargepipes/intercoolers are low risk items which is why we can control quality by outsourcing manufacturing. Everyone of our filters are made in the US by quality manufacturers like S&B Filters. Reputable manufacturers have put R&D in balancing both flow/filtering. We don't use filters made overseas simply because there's no benefit in making an extra buck at the expense of our clients engines.

Believe me, if I could save a few bucks by purchasing filters overseas for our intake kits I would but there isn't one that we've tested that can filter as well as S&B/Green filters and not fall apart after 10k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollToll View Post
LMAO, if I could appreciate this more than once, I would. He is the last guy who should be talking about quality. I have pictures of 2 charge pipes and an intercooler with quality issues. The type of issues that show that it was either not inspected at all, or it was inspected but the inspector took 0 pride in the products.
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had but if you've had issues with our products in the past I'm curious as to why you wouldn't contact us directly with your concerns. Every major vendor on this forum resells our products with pride, they wouldn't recommend and sell our products to their customers if there was a quality concern.

I'm proud to say we're known for our customer service and I'd be more than happy to take care of any concerns you may have. Just shoot us a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 10-18-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #16
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We've had a couple members in the past who've done dyno comparisons of no lid vs lid. You can't be too careful.
haha I saw that thread, it makes you wonder about people doesn't it? good looking out, though.

getting a k&n isn't necessarily out of the picture for me, but right now this fits the budget. I wanted to get all this stock hardware back in before it got too cold because my detached garage isn't heated, my oem filter was trash, and I think I'm done with DCI.
      10-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollToll
Quote:
that's really unfortunate to hear, so far I have a fleet of "unbranded" parts with no issues including a set of vrsf downpipes. *knock on wood*

luckily it seems like the guy wants to help but having your car torn apart only to put it back together with oem parts is a kick in the pants that's hard to forget. totally understand.
      10-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have a problem with manufacturing overseas what so ever. Foxcon has perfected the art of making electronics overseas so most of us would have no concern with purchasing an Apple product made in China. The difference is there isn't a Foxcon for air filters, at least no yet so you have no way to judge the filters ability to filter out contaminants or flow based on a brand.

Our downpipes/chargepipes/intercoolers are low risk items which is why we can control quality by outsourcing manufacturing. Everyone of our filters are made in the US by quality manufacturers like S&B Filters. Reputable manufacturers have put R&D in balancing both flow/filtering. We don't use filters made overseas simply because there's no benefit in making an extra buck at the expense of our clients engines.

Believe me, if I could save a few bucks by purchasing filters overseas for our intake kits I would but there isn't one that we've tested that can filter as well as S&B/Green filters and not fall apart after 10k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollToll View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had but if you've had issues with our products in the past I'm curious as to why you wouldn't contact us directly with your concerns. Every major vendor on this forum resells our products with pride, they wouldn't recommend and sell our products to their customers if there was a quality concern.

I'm proud to say we're known for our customer service and I'd be more than happy to take care of any concerns you may have. Just shoot us a PM and I'll be happy to help.
I think wedge just did a dyno run with and without lid and picked up 15hp. But don't quote me. I don't remember all the details
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #19
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Top and bottom of the filter as well as lid and bottom of the intake.. perfectly clean on the lid suggests excellent filtration this was for months after installation. Partially rural area and tons of snow and salt. I work third shift so I see the roads at their worst. Or when odot is getting out there to pelt my vehicle.
Attached Images