E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Tuner?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
TRZ06
Captain
 
TRZ06's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Turbo Tuner?

Is this considered to be a respectable product like PROcede and AA?

I am thinking about getting one. I originally wanted a PROcede, but I think V2 is going to be a little overkill for street use, especially for those who don't want to swap out suspension, tires, wheels to handle PROcede.

From what I can gather, the TT or "SSTT" I guess it's being called now, still has decent gains, and is simpler to install and take out (for dealer visits).

Are there any draw backs to the SSTT? Is it as safe as PROcede, as far as protecting from lean conditions, or other engine damage?

Is it considered a piggy back as well?

I know these seem like basic questions, but well, I am still a newbie when it comes to aftermarket tuning for the 335i.

And yes I did do some mild searching, but since I have a job, I can't spend all day searching on forums, if you know what I mean, so please spare the "search" comments.

Thanks
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
TRZ06 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
 
slubu's Avatar
 
Drives: White Lightning
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Agrestic

Posts: 1,851
iTrader: (2)

I wouldn't mind some quick answers to this either, even though I know hidden within this subforum are detailed discussions likely of this topic.
__________________
2008 335i
slubu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
 
slubu's Avatar
 
Drives: White Lightning
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Agrestic

Posts: 1,851
iTrader: (2)

Actually we should just look at the other thread...my 335 is slow.
__________________
2008 335i
slubu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Jerseystyle1
Boris the Blade
 
Jerseystyle1's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: FT Leonard Wood, MO

Posts: 317
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jerseystyle1
+1 Curious about this as wel.
__________________
Allan

Montego Blue 335i Sedan w/Navi/Magnetic Black NISMO 350Z #831/76' Mini 1100 "SPECIAL" Export

Jerseystyle1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Mr_T
Brigadier General
 
Mr_T's Avatar
 
Drives: Blindfolded
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA

Posts: 3,927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
. I originally wanted a PROcede, but I think V2 is going to be a little overkill for street use, especially for those who don't want to swap out suspension, tires, wheels to handle PROcede.
Thanks
Well, I got the ZSP with RFT tires, my only other mod is Blacklines. I don't plan to do much else other than few cosmetic alterations (front lip, rear spoiler). I don't think new tires, wheels and or suspensions are a prerequisite.

My 335i performs like a street car when I drive it like one, and has the power when I get on it when I want it.

Here are my perosnal observations from my experience:

1) It truly takes the car to a new dimension. Aside from the increased power that you feel immediately, the RPM structure per gear seems to be more fluid providing smoother shifting transitions, especially when down shifting. I'm not sure what causes this and is hard for me to explain but something I noticed right away. My view, it is worth the price of admission alone!

2) I have put about 750mi on mine with no problems at all.

3) I would argue the PROcede should be the 1st performance mod you perform, maybe the 1st mod period. It was my 1st mod and well worth every $$

4) The Team at Vishnu is extremely helpful and provides excellent customer service.

5) The install looks a bit overwhelming at first, but it is not hard at all. See number 4

6) I personally was a bit hesitant at first (thought about it for 2 days), thinking that I would not recognize that much of a difference.....it didn't take long to satisfy my concern. The 1st stop light with no one in front of me took care of that real fast.


Regards,

Marc
__________________

'07 E90 Jet Black/Black Leather | ZSP| ZPP | ZCW | AT | Paddles | Hartge Lip (Rep) | Blacklines | Ultimate Racing CAI | PROcede v2.0.2-26
Mr_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
TRZ06
Captain
 
TRZ06's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_T View Post
Well, I got the ZSP with RFT tires, my only other mod is Blacklines. I don't plan to do much else other than few cosmetic alterations (front lip, rear spoiler). I don't think new tires, wheels and or suspensions are a prerequisite.

My 335i performs like a street car when I drive it like one, and has the power when I get on it when I want it.

Here are my perosnal observations from my experience:

1) It truly takes the car to a new dimension. Aside from the increased power that you feel immediately, the RPM structure per gear seems to be more fluid providing smoother shifting transitions, especially when down shifting. I'm not sure what causes this and is hard for me to explain but something I noticed right away. My view, it is worth the price of admission alone!

2) I have put about 750mi on mine with no problems at all.

3) I would argue the PROcede should be the 1st performance mod you perform, maybe the 1st mod period. It was my 1st mod and well worth every $$

4) The Team at Vishnu is extremely helpful and provides excellent customer service.

5) The install looks a bit overwhelming at first, but it is not hard at all. See number 4

6) I personally was a bit hesitant at first (thought about it for 2 days), thinking that I would not recognize that much of a difference.....it didn't take long to satisfy my concern. The 1st stop light with no one in front of me took care of that real fast.


Regards,

Marc
Yes, but you have V1.47. V2 is going to be overkill for street use especially with all other stock components. Maybe Shiv would entertain the idea of keeping a "slower" version similar to V1.47 but with all the other benefits of V2.
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
TRZ06 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
fanman
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 04 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Glendale, CA

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

There are two products.

The first is from Eurobahn called the TURBO Tuner. It is a good product. It gives good gains, while being simple & fast to install. Eurobahn has been on this board a long time & they are a quality company. Here is their website :

http://eurobahn.us/turbotuner.html

While it is not as sophisticated or will not give you greater gains than a PROCEDE or AA XEDE it is aimed at a different market. It's for the people who are not technologically saavy at all, but are willing to give up absolute maximum power for simplicity.
fanman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
shiv@vishnu's Avatar
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,611
iTrader: (0)

Our advice is to immediately rule out anything that doesn't actually adjust ignition timing. And tweaking the intake temp signal does not cut the mustard in this respect. Pretty common sense stuff for those who have experience tuning cars (especially turbo'd ones).

Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
DrDomer
Major
 
DrDomer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa

Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Yes, but you have V1.47. V2 is going to be overkill for street use especially with all other stock components. Maybe Shiv would entertain the idea of keeping a "slower" version similar to V1.47 but with all the other benefits of V2.
This just shows that you haven't driven a 335i with Procede. Standing launches are only one very minor (imo.. irrelevant) thing against more HP/torque. I have Procede v1.47 and get very little wheelspin throughout 1st and 2nd. It's certainly controllable. It's even absent if I don't use my foot as an on/off switch. Now up that by 40lbs-ft torque and 30-40HP and I will actually have to use some skill to launch the car (God forbid). The real place where this improvement will shine is the long-term combination of reliability and higher end passing power. I can't wait. Stock runflats and all... :rocks:
__________________
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
DrDomer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Our advice is to immediately rule out anything that doesn't actually adjust ignition timing. And tweaking the intake temp signal does not cut the mustard in this respect. Pretty common sense stuff for those who have experience tuning cars (especially turbo'd ones).

Shiv
Isn't ECU adapting the ignition as needed? I thought you use that feature instead of providing different ignition maps for 91 and 93 oct. If you feel ignition should be adjusted, shouldn't you provide adjusted maps for different octane ratings?
V2 might change that though. When are the V2 harnesses available? Thanks for any info!
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Lee Rambler
Captain
 
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA

Posts: 605
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Isn't ECU adapting the ignition as needed? I thought you use that feature instead of providing different ignition maps for 91 and 93 oct. If you feel ignition should be adjusted, shouldn't you provide adjusted maps for different octane ratings?
V2 might change that though. When are the V2 harnesses available? Thanks for any info!
excellent point.
Lee Rambler is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Lee Rambler
Captain
 
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA

Posts: 605
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
i just took some pics from my cuzins install of how to install a turbo tuner.
its in the this forum aswell.

here some other info.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=turbo+tuner

some info i have seen
600$
easy install/uninstall
7 day money back gurantee
2 year warranty on the device
4psi boost
30+ whp and wftlb
cannot be found by dealer once removed
works with the stock ecu and its safety measures



The design features a soft limit circuit that avoids overboost. This protects the engine from boost spikes and preserves drivability
"if the temperature gets too hot under the hood, we reduce power. We also pull back on power if the in take air temps climb to a unsafe level" jeff from E.B.

its not to be compared with the procede and others... its half the price and give less torque. but its easy to install/unistall within like 3 minutes and gives a nice kick in power.

if u got the money, go procede.. if not this is another route...

heres driver's video.. he can explain and im sure the procede with more equal condition might pull a bit more.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...0b016b39e0.htm
by the videos I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as big a difference as I thought there would be. the first video actually looks like the coupe (tt) has the advantage until he lets off. the others look like it's 1/2 or 1 car at best. the one from the dig is just the auto launching better... I still think the proced makes more power, but maybe not as much more as I origionally thought...
Lee Rambler is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
TRZ06
Captain
 
TRZ06's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Our advice is to immediately rule out anything that doesn't actually adjust ignition timing. And tweaking the intake temp signal does not cut the mustard in this respect. Pretty common sense stuff for those who have experience tuning cars (especially turbo'd ones).

Shiv
Thanks for chiming in. I really do want your product Shiv, I just think for me, V2 is going to be overkill. Would you consider a toned down version ala V1.47 with the additional features of V2? Your price point isn't an issue for me, I would gladly pay for your product if there were some toned down options.

I think overall you would increase your sales and clientel if you offered some options for those who are not out to set the land speed record in their 335i.
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
TRZ06 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,624
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Our advice is to immediately rule out anything that doesn't actually adjust ignition timing. And tweaking the intake temp signal does not cut the mustard in this respect. Pretty common sense stuff for those who have experience tuning cars (especially turbo'd ones).

Shiv
Are you saying that you would stay away from the Turbo Tuner as well?
I don't think the Turbo Tuner adjusts timing.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
A418t81
Major
 
Drives: F80 M3/997TT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham Al

Posts: 1,268
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Are you saying that you would stay away from the Turbo Tuner as well?
I don't think the Turbo Tuner adjusts timing.
It doesn't, it also does nothing with IAT either. That myth needs to be put to bed.
__________________
'15 AW/SO F80 M3 6MT: I//M Delivered ED group 6/23/14
07 997 TT 6MT, Arctic Silver/Sea Blue: AWE exhaust, GIAC flash, H&R, 19" BBS CH-R in widebody fitment

A418t81 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
sflgator
Major General
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

Posts: 5,389
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Thanks for chiming in. I really do want your product Shiv, I just think for me, V2 is going to be overkill. Would you consider a toned down version ala V1.47 with the additional features of V2? Your price point isn't an issue for me, I would gladly pay for your product if there were some toned down options.

I think overall you would increase your sales and clientel if you offered some options for those who are not out to set the land speed record in their 335i.
FYI -- One of the greatest thongs about the PROcede is that you can drive it either like Mario Andretti or like your grandma. It's not an on/off switch; it's very controllable...you can either go easy (like a totally stock car), go somewhat hard, or you can really pour it on (like a MONSTER that it can be)! I would expect PROcede v2.0 to be no different. A PROcede 335i feels much like a stock 335i, only it can be much, much faster...if/when you want it to!!! If you're worried about PROcede v2.0 being "too much," then don't.
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
sflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
"Actually we didn't design the unit to work on 91 octane or any octane at all. The system is designed to work with the vehicles onboard adaptation system. As octane increases the extra bump in boost automatically calls for more fuel and increased timing. Should you run higher octane you will make more safe Horsepower and torque its that simple. So run a half tank of 100 and hold on to your..........."

"The on board computer takes the signals we send it and make the needed changes in fuel and timing."

-jeff from E.B.

not saying its true, just what the vendor has said..
Seems that Jeff might not know what happens... Especially "As octane increases the extra bump in boost automatically calls for more fuel and increased timing." How does this "extra bump in boost" just "happen" due octane?? "We ... make the needed changes in fuel and timing" is not correct either.
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #18
sflgator
Major General
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

Posts: 5,389
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Seems that Jeff might not know what happens... Especially "As octane increases the extra bump in boost automatically calls for more fuel and increased timing." How does this "extra bump in boost" just "happen" due octane?? "We ... make the needed changes in fuel and timing" is not correct either.
Well, nothing against Jeff from Eurobahn, but he is not the tuner. The company, Split Second is the actual mfgr. of the Turbo Tuner, while Jeff @ Eurobahn is the distributor.
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
sflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
bnj
Banned
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Helsinki

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Well, nothing against Jeff from E.B., but he is not the tuner. The company, Split Second is the actual mfgr. of the Turbo Tuner, while Jeff @ E.B. is the distributor.
+1 and ecu adaptation capability is used by Procede as well.
bnj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
 
TheLegacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Shibuya Tokyo, Rockland NY, Killeen TX

Posts: 972
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TheLegacy Send a message via Skype™ to TheLegacy
he was searching for words... its not that it does timing like we think. Can always ask split second. As said jeff is just a vendor.
__________________
-TheLegacy
JDM-EDM-TT-V8-GANGSTA ALL THE WAY
*Modded*
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
TheLegacy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #21
fotios335i
Major General
 
fotios335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 BSM F30 sport/msport 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: cape cod MA

Posts: 6,744
iTrader: (61)

over 5000 miles with turbo tuner and no problems at all.I like it.
__________________

2012 335i sport to full Msport, M adaptive and vss, sport 8 AT, fully loaded, Black saphire, black dakota leather, mperformance carbon interior with shifter, M performance grills, rear spoiler, front splitter, side sill extensions, MPPK, MPE exhaust, morr alloys vs8.2's with michelin pss, p3 gauge, msport wheel, etc, etc
fotios335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #22
Mr_T
Brigadier General
 
Mr_T's Avatar
 
Drives: Blindfolded
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA

Posts: 3,927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Yes, but you have V1.47. V2 is going to be overkill for street use especially with all other stock components. Maybe Shiv would entertain the idea of keeping a "slower" version similar to V1.47 but with all the other benefits of V2.

Well...it stands to reason that you will carve out more from PROcede as you add additional performance mods, however if you want the most under your hood all else being equal, PROcede is it. The question you need to answer is do you want to pay for it. I plan to order a V2 upgrade as soon as I can, I want to most under my hood. I'm certain I will monetize most of what PROcede can deliver, with the option to squeeze out a bit more if I want to add more to my car

Marc
__________________

'07 E90 Jet Black/Black Leather | ZSP| ZPP | ZCW | AT | Paddles | Hartge Lip (Rep) | Blacklines | Ultimate Racing CAI | PROcede v2.0.2-26
Mr_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST