E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone have experience with the Simota CBII intake?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Also IF anyone wanted to know why I switched, it wasnt because the intake wasnt good or anything, it was just because I needed to have my engine bay all carbon fiber for show and etc.
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
kamek
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 3,179
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [4.10]
Send a message via AIM to kamek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneout View Post
My CBII use to sit that low too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneout View Post
The intake sounded like a beast honestly. I think hot air makes the intake sound nicer? Thats the conclusion i get because I now have the Simota V2 and Im assuming it sucks in only cold air now since my intake is fully enclosed and I cant hear the beautiful sound anymore. Power/gains/loss etc, cant feel a difference at all. Feels the same to me. For us n52 N/A owners things like intake and etc, you wont notice anything to be honest. Unless you through the car on the dyno and see what is going on.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I wasn't expecting any gains, but I was most concerned about power loss. The sound is mostly what I'd get it for, but if you have a theory where hot air = more sound, then I'm going to avoid this intake!
__________________

E92 328xi | KW | AA | LUX | OEM 359M | BMW Performance Exhaust
kamek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
Ross328i
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL

Posts: 128
iTrader: (2)

I haven't gone to look at mine yet, but is there any room in front of the intake opening to attach tubing that runs down further into the front of the engine bay for cooler air?
Ross328i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
kamek
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 3,179
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [4.10]
Send a message via AIM to kamek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross328i View Post
I haven't gone to look at mine yet, but is there any room in front of the intake opening to attach tubing that runs down further into the front of the engine bay for cooler air?
Even if there was, I think the issue may be that this intake isn't enclosed like some others are.
__________________

E92 328xi | KW | AA | LUX | OEM 359M | BMW Performance Exhaust
kamek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Major
 
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

Posts: 1,309
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Even if there was, I think the issue may be that this intake isn't enclosed like some others are.
I have this intake as well and I personally love it. I had it on for a few weeks before the got my PBX and hadnt noticed any losses. Now with the tune and exhaust, I love it even more.

I also have the "heat shield" if you even wanna call it that. Its basically some pieces of sheet metal the redirects the air from the little opening on the snorkel to the general area of the opening of the intake. I can take a pic later if you need to. Kamek, I am in Astoria and if you ever wanna stop by any of the queens meets or something to check it out feel free. I have had a lot of compliments abt the sound, its really amazing. In box me ur number if u want to

As far the sound of hot air vs cold air, it doesnt make a difference as far as i know. the reason why the intakes that are in closed boxes arent as loud is because it is just that, its in a closed box. The ones that are open are louder because they just out there with nothing around it. Put your iphone on full blast and listen to how loud it is. Put it in a cardboard box and close it, its not as loud to your ears because of a similar reason
BoogeyMan'sBMW is offline   Bangladesh
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I have this intake as well and I personally love it. I had it on for a few weeks before the got my PBX and hadnt noticed any losses. Now with the tune and exhaust, I love it even more.

I also have the "heat shield" if you even wanna call it that. Its basically some pieces of sheet metal the redirects the air from the little opening on the snorkel to the general area of the opening of the intake. I can take a pic later if you need to. Kamek, I am in Astoria and if you ever wanna stop by any of the queens meets or something to check it out feel free. I have had a lot of compliments abt the sound, its really amazing. In box me ur number if u want to

As far the sound of hot air vs cold air, it doesnt make a difference as far as i know. the reason why the intakes that are in closed boxes arent as loud is because it is just that, its in a closed box. The ones that are open are louder because they just out there with nothing around it. Put your iphone on full blast and listen to how loud it is. Put it in a cardboard box and close it, its not as loud to your ears because of a similar reason
that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clarifying my theory on the sound haha. Also the cbII isnt completely exposed to the hot engine since the intake is inside the carbon fiber enclosure with the little opening in the front. So if there was a way to get it near the rear snorkel than BAM! Cold air hahah
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
kamek
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 3,179
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [4.10]
Send a message via AIM to kamek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I have this intake as well and I personally love it. I had it on for a few weeks before the got my PBX and hadnt noticed any losses. Now with the tune and exhaust, I love it even more.

I also have the "heat shield" if you even wanna call it that. Its basically some pieces of sheet metal the redirects the air from the little opening on the snorkel to the general area of the opening of the intake. I can take a pic later if you need to. Kamek, I am in Astoria and if you ever wanna stop by any of the queens meets or something to check it out feel free. I have had a lot of compliments abt the sound, its really amazing. In box me ur number if u want to

As far the sound of hot air vs cold air, it doesnt make a difference as far as i know. the reason why the intakes that are in closed boxes arent as loud is because it is just that, its in a closed box. The ones that are open are louder because they just out there with nothing around it. Put your iphone on full blast and listen to how loud it is. Put it in a cardboard box and close it, its not as loud to your ears because of a similar reason
Hey, thanks, I appreciate it and will probably take you up on that one day. I recently went back to stock (wheels, suspension, etc.) and am contemplating even this small mod since I had called it quits with modding. I'll hit you up!
__________________

E92 328xi | KW | AA | LUX | OEM 359M | BMW Performance Exhaust
kamek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #30
iczz
Lieutenant Colonel
 
iczz's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 / F10 / F80
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (23)

I cannot believe I just find this thread now.....lol
Just like some of you guys have mentioned. This intake will give a great growling sound.

*there is not "heat shield" from the factory packaging. The metal pieces were made by retailer (aka mfd) for very limited amount.

Let me know if you have any questions!
iczz is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #31
thecadman99
First Lieutenant
 
thecadman99's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia

Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

Keep in mind that that it's not a closed system like factory.

Factory actually sucks air through the snorkel.
This relies on the car to be moving to get any fresh air to the intake. When you are stopped, you are running on warmer engine bay air.

Great if you like the sound, but it's not really "better" than factory for cold air.
__________________
06 330i 6mt Spt- Eibach Springs, BMW Perf Susp, Supersprint Exhaust, BSW Audio
94 325i 5mt 4d- M3 springs/susp, Z3 wheels, Chipped, Intake, Exhaust= FUN!
thecadman99 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Biimer
Private First Class
 
Drives: e90 330I
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 190
iTrader: (0)

bump. I'm also interested to know if this intake affects power and if it is in any way bad for an N52 (e90 330i) engine. If someone who actually owns this intake could give us some input it would be very helpful
__________________
E90 330i Jet Black | Sport | Premium | Cold | Logic 7 | Steptronic | Walnut Wood | Resonator Delete | OEM Blacklines | VarrsTöen ES 1.1.2 19" Gunmetal | 30% Tint |
Biimer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biimer
bump. I'm also interested to know if this intake affects power and if it is in any way bad for an N52 (e90 330i) engine. If someone who actually owns this intake could give us some input it would be very helpful
We all drive n52. You wont feel a thing
__________________

PLATINUMVIP|EUROPROJEKTZ|XstheticMotorsports|02Creation
SpeedElement|WrongFitmentCrew#392
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #34
chrisbreezy
New Member
 
chrisbreezy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 24
iTrader: (1)

I've had this intake for a few months now with no complaints. Will take a pic of how it's sits in the engine bay and maybe a video.
chrisbreezy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #35
JTWCT
Private First Class
 
JTWCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 328xi E92
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairfield County, Connecticut

Posts: 150
iTrader: (3)

I definitely feel the throttle response's improvement. The sound is amazing paired with my BMW Performance Exhaust.
Mine sits low:

JTWCT is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #36
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
 
rorkor's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here

Posts: 278
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [5.00]
2011 E90 328i  [5.00]
I find it interesting that so many people keep the factory snorkel when modding the intake. It seems to me that it would just lead to more dirt in the engine bay and in this intakes case, blowing air over it rather than into it. Just a curiosity of mine. IMO, these look a little rice to me, like it would be more at home in a Honda.
__________________
rorkor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #37
kamek
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 3,179
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [4.10]
Send a message via AIM to kamek
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
I find it interesting that so many people keep the factory snorkel when modding the intake. It seems to me that it would just lead to more dirt in the engine bay and in this intakes case, blowing air over it rather than into it. Just a curiosity of mine. IMO, these look a little rice to me, like it would be more at home in a Honda.
Good observation! I've decided against this intake and to leave my engine bay stock.
__________________

E92 328xi | KW | AA | LUX | OEM 359M | BMW Performance Exhaust
kamek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #38
tigermack
OPN DIFF
 
tigermack's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i MT TiAg
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

Posts: 1,274
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
I got mine installed today... sounds pretty good and seems to be smoother revs and better response. Not sure if I felt any gains, though. Probably too little to feel it if any. Am I the only one or has anyone experience it droning during cruising speed above 70 mph?
__________________
M-tech front\Hartge CF lip\blacklines\M3 wheel\BMW P.E.\BMS powerbox\ST coils\BBS GT4

e36 - racecar - SCCA STX #188

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
tigermack is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #39
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
I got mine installed today... sounds pretty good and seems to be smoother revs and better response. Not sure if I felt any gains, though. Probably too little to feel it if any. Am I the only one or has anyone experience it droning during cruising speed above 70 mph?
do you have an exhaust? Never heard of an intake with droning noise
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #40
tigermack
OPN DIFF
 
tigermack's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i MT TiAg
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

Posts: 1,274
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
do you have an exhaust? Never heard of an intake with droning noise
No exhaust.
__________________
M-tech front\Hartge CF lip\blacklines\M3 wheel\BMW P.E.\BMS powerbox\ST coils\BBS GT4

e36 - racecar - SCCA STX #188

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
tigermack is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #41
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
 
rorkor's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here

Posts: 278
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [5.00]
2011 E90 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post
Factory actually sucks air through the snorkel. This relies on the car to be moving to get any fresh air to the intake. When you are stopped, you are running on warmer engine bay air.
This is where I think the scoops on the stock/factory snorkel really come into play for cold air intake improvement, forcing the intake of air from ahead of the radiator in stop and go traffic rather than sucking up the radiant heat, lending to better throttle response off the line.
__________________
rorkor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
JTWCT
Private First Class
 
JTWCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 328xi E92
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairfield County, Connecticut

Posts: 150
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
do you have an exhaust? Never heard of an intake with droning noise
Mine drones also at speeds over 70 mph. But I have a BMW Performance Exhaust.
JTWCT is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
 
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston - MA

Posts: 162
iTrader: (4)

I read this from somewhere else where I can't remember from. They were talking about the same issue where over 70 mph drones but it ended up sounding inside the car like that. They tested it and from the outside passing by, it still had a nice sound. Hope this makes sense. I'm not very technical but wanted to share.

QUOTE=JTWCT;13265494]Mine drones also at speeds over 70 mph. But I have a BMW Performance Exhaust.[/quote]
BJK1903 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
kamek
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 3,179
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [4.10]
Send a message via AIM to kamek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJK1903 View Post
I read this from somewhere else where I can't remember from. They were talking about the same issue where over 70 mph drones but it ended up sounding inside the car like that. They tested it and from the outside passing by, it still had a nice sound. Hope this makes sense. I'm not very technical but wanted to share.

QUOTE=JTWCT;13265494]Mine drones also at speeds over 70 mph. But I have a BMW Performance Exhaust.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that info
__________________

E92 328xi | KW | AA | LUX | OEM 359M | BMW Performance Exhaust
kamek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST